Author Topic: Unhappy with Cycle World Magazine  (Read 2178 times)

Offline smc

Unhappy with Cycle World Magazine
« on: March 24, 2018, 09:42:59 AM »
I wanted to pass on my displeasure with Cycle World Magazine.  I renewed my subscription to Cycle World last year and paid in advance for several years.  I liked many of their articles and how they wrote them.   When I renewed they stated they would send me 12 issues for each of the years I paid for.   Now Cycle World has decided they are only going to send everyone 4 subscriptions each year.   In addition, they have changed the format and done away with most of the sections of the magazine that I liked best.  I feel like I’m getting ripped off by only getting 1/3 of the issues I paid for and those don’t include the articles and sections of the magazine that I liked to read.  I feel if they aren’t going to do what they said they would do when I renewed my subscription, they should give me a refund for the remaining portion of my subscription.  A week ago I sent a request via email to their customer service department asking to cancel my subscription and send me a refund.   I received an automated response that a customer service rep will be given my request and they will get back with me.   Three days ago, I sent a second email to them stating I hadn’t heard from them and repeated my request for the cancellation.  Another automated response was sent stating they would get back with me.  Still no answer.  So now I feel not only am I getting a raw deal, but their lack of a response seems to show they don’t care that they are not honoring their contract.    The new quarterly magazine is fancy and has nice pictures, but just isn't what I bought, and I'm unhappy Cycle World seems to not give a darn how I feel. 

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: Unhappy with Cycle World Magazine
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:10:34 AM »
Man, do I agree 100%. 

I was actually thinking of starting a thread about this myself.  I got the new issue a couple of days ago, and all I can say is it SUCKS.  A few nice big fancy photos, but not what I want to see, and I certainly don't plan to keep these things around as some sort of archival collection.  Most of all I miss the "Service" section, with discussions of peoples' problems and advice on repairs.

Actually what I REALLY miss is the good old days with the big one-page cartoon, and the end page "Slipstream" photo with funny comments.  But those have been long gone for some years now.

And only FOUR issues per year??  That's a rip-off.  I paid for a monthly surprise in the mail and that's what I want.  I used to look forward to it, but now this crap just stinks.  Not getting another one until, what, June ( ? ) I can't decide if that's a good thing or not.

Really bummed out, man.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline works4me

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:47:59 AM »
A Wahmbulance has been dispatched to both of your locations.

I gave up on Cycle World when they folded Cycle’s tent.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 12:16:52 PM »
Cycle was my last hope and last subscription.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
Really bummed out, man.
Agreed.

When it first showed up, I thought, cool a double issue. Then I paged through it, glossy glam almost nothingness. They kept the columnist I can't stand whose goal seems to be to fill up two pages with words that sum up to nothing in the end.

I'm glad I didn't renew, at least I'll get some Harbor Freight coupons out of it, not that there is any shortage of those really.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 09:21:54 PM »
All print magazines and newspapers are hurting badly due to the Internet.  They keep getting smaller and smaller and weaker and weaker, then fewer, then poof.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 06:42:41 AM »
I read books on a Kindle but I like physical magazines. I continue with several subscriptions. I too am disappointed in the new Cycle World. It's shouldn't try to be something that it's not. Namely a coffee table picture book. I won't renew.

Offline SapperLdr

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
Motorcycle Consumer News is the only mag I subscribe to anymore. Ad free, excellent reviews, and articles with real substance.
Living the dream in Arizona.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 07:47:34 AM »
I let my last subscription lapse last year. You can get a lot of their stuff by going to their fb page. And since I don't have to pay for that, I can't complain.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 03:29:34 PM »
I let my last subscription lapse last year. You can get a lot of their stuff by going to their fb page. And since I don't have to pay for that, I can't complain.

Anything that involves Facebook in any way would make me complain....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 03:39:59 PM »
I subscribed to all of them for many years but let them expire about 10 years ago, they all seems to have the same bike reviews each month and most of the other content was not worth reading.
IBA #18591

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 11:10:37 AM »
Jeez, I haven't subscribed to a motorcycle magazine in 30 years. Last time I did, I bought a 1981 Suzuki 650E.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »
haven't had a subscription to anything since I was a kid.

As for magazines, only time I tend to buy them these years is if travelling by plane or train
--
space reserved for humourous sig file