Author Topic: shorty mufflers  (Read 1841 times)

Offline mellow yellow

shorty mufflers
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:48:29 AM »
Hello all, haven't posted in a while. yesterday spent several hours changing the rear tire on my 05 connie. have done this numerous times in the past. it is pretty time consuming to have to remove the mufflers every time I have to do a tire change. are there shorty mufflers available so that I can avoid having to remove the mufflers?  Thanks

Offline skidmarkrva

Re: shorty mufflers
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 07:03:56 PM »
I took the pipes off my 02. Turns heads when I roll up next to some Harley's.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 07:20:54 AM »
You might think I'm joking, but Harley Mufflers are cheap and EZ to get on Ebay.
Some have gone to them as Shorty's.

I had Cobra F1-S mufflers on mine. Not shorter, but makes pulling the rear axle EZ as they set above the axle..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline route66tc

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »
A local independent shop that specializes in Harley's, told me when I went looking for mufflers for my silverwing project, that he threw a pile of HD takeoffs away.  Got tired of looking at them he said.  A set of short HD mufflers can be had for $50 on craigslist.  On the other hand taking off stock C10 mufflers is 2 bolts.  Get you a little cordless impact driver and lots of things come apart lots quicker.  I LOVE mine.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
No one mentioned Delkevic or Stayintune. {sp}?
Both are excellent mufflers, but more pricy.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: If someone was to do the Harley thing, mid pipes {from header to muffler} would probably have to be made.

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 07:33:11 PM »
Sorry for the late response. sometimes it's a pain, because the pipes are stuck to the headers. this involves banging on them to get them off. as for the Harley mufflers, are they certain models of Harleys? Thanks

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 08:05:50 PM »
I have no idea. Just recall that someone did it.
Do a search here, and on the COG Forum and I think you can find it.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »
Sorry for the late response. sometimes it's a pain, because the pipes are stuck to the headers. this involves banging on them to get them off. as for the Harley mufflers, are they certain models of Harleys? Thanks
Call me crazy.....tried this and found it works.  Put anti seize on the header pipe.  Didn't get wild with it but a light coating.  Then the next time muffler had to be removed it slipped off rather easily with a twist or two.  And it was nice to slip it back on with the gasket staying in place. 
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 08:47:54 PM »
Call me crazy.....tried this and found it works.  Put anti seize on the header pipe.  Didn't get wild with it but a light coating.  Then the next time muffler had to be removed it slipped off rather easily with a twist or two.  And it was nice to slip it back on with the gasket staying in place.
Thanks, will have to try that the next time I take the mufflers off.