Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 672963 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3060 on: April 22, 2018, 10:32:48 AM »
How long can a car run with wooden pistons? Yes, that's right, wood pistons, four of them.

LOL- and the answer is- a few seconds
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3061 on: April 22, 2018, 02:03:40 PM »
I thought it was a little funny but I guess not.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23286657/former-nfl-kicker-jay-feely-apologizes-photo-gun

The second Amendment, then the first Amendment and finally, all sense of reason and humor.

Brian

LOL- and the answer is- a few seconds
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3062 on: April 22, 2018, 05:31:06 PM »
I thought it was a little funny but I guess not.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23286657/former-nfl-kicker-jay-feely-apologizes-photo-gun

The second Amendment, then the first Amendment and finally, all sense of reason and humor.

Brian

I saw that.  I just shake my head at everyone who wants to overreact to something, especially when it has to do with guns, and make a big fuss. 

Two loiterers, who happen to be African Americans, get arrested for refusing to leave a coffee shop and its front page news:  Outrage, offense, boycotts and a weak CEO apoligizing for a couple of A-holes making something out of nothing. 

Two officers in Fla get gunned down for doing absolutely nothing but having lunch.  Where’s the outrage?  Where’s the news coverage? 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3063 on: April 23, 2018, 12:04:12 AM »
I saw that.  I just shake my head at everyone who wants to overreact to something, especially when it has to do with guns, and make a big fuss. 

Two loiterers, who happen to be African Americans, get arrested for refusing to leave a coffee shop and its front page news:  Outrage, offense, boycotts and a weak CEO apoligizing for a couple of A-holes making something out of nothing. 

Two officers in Fla get gunned down for doing absolutely nothing but having lunch.  Where’s the outrage?  Where’s the news coverage? 

Little of that makes sense to me. You say that there is over reaction to something especially having to do with guns. Then you seem outraged that there wasn't outrage about the one of the two stories you mentioned that involved a gun? What would you have us do...boycott all Chinese restaurants until they can properly protect police officers eating there? The "weak" CEO was doing his job, protecting his stock holders, trying to protect his many employees from getting laid off if there was a boycott. Perhaps he was also trying to do the right thing by making sure that the Starbucks establishments don't discriminate against black people. Well maybe he was, but I don't think he was weak. The "weak" CEOs have someone in PR write up a statement and then cower hoping for it to all blow over. As for the "couple of A-holes" that got arrested for doing the exact same thing that white people do all the time at Starbucks, well they didn't seem like A-holes to me, but maybe they might have been on their best behavior when the cameras where there. Then again I didn't see the police that arrested them as being all disheveled and scratched up from any altercations with the two during the arrest.  Now the naked guy that shot people in a Waffle House, there's an A-hole/nut job, where's the outrage? I mean whatever happened to no shirt no service? We should probably boycott Waffle House until we feel safe eating their cardboard waffles without fear that someone is going to walk in there without pants waving his junk around.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3064 on: April 23, 2018, 12:16:22 AM »
Ok so been watching a selection of car reviews on youtube recently (chap called Doug Demuro)

SOmething I find amusing is that its federally mandated that cars over there have to have a "trunk release" in case someone gets trapped in the boot , sorry I mean trunk ;)

Question I have to ask is "how many people have been " accidentally" trapped in the trunk of their car?

Surely if you were planning on deliberately shutting someone in there you would just disable it ivf it ws fitted ?

ALso strikes me as nuts that exotics that have trunks you could barely fit a laptop in also , by the same regs, have to have the same emergency release in!!
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3065 on: April 23, 2018, 01:29:57 AM »
I think it is mainly for children trapped in there.
 I think the release handles also have to glow in the dark.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3066 on: April 23, 2018, 05:49:03 AM »
Little of that makes sense to me. You say that there is over reaction to something especially having to do with guns. Then you seem outraged that there wasn't outrage about the one of the two stories you mentioned that involved a gun?

What I read was him saying there was ridiculous overreaction to the Starbucks incident and no outrage at all over two officers getting gunned down in a different incident.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #3067 on: April 23, 2018, 07:28:41 AM »
Little of that makes sense to me. You say that there is over reaction to something especially having to do with guns. Then you seem outraged that there wasn't outrage about the one of the two stories you mentioned that involved a gun? What would you have us do...boycott all Chinese restaurants until they can properly protect police officers eating there? The "weak" CEO was doing his job, protecting his stock holders, trying to protect his many employees from getting laid off if there was a boycott. Perhaps he was also trying to do the right thing by making sure that the Starbucks establishments don't discriminate against black people. Well maybe he was, but I don't think he was weak. The "weak" CEOs have someone in PR write up a statement and then cower hoping for it to all blow over. As for the "couple of A-holes" that got arrested for doing the exact same thing that white people do all the time at Starbucks, well they didn't seem like A-holes to me, but maybe they might have been on their best behavior when the cameras where there. Then again I didn't see the police that arrested them as being all disheveled and scratched up from any altercations with the two during the arrest.  Now the naked guy that shot people in a Waffle House, there's an A-hole/nut job, where's the outrage? I mean whatever happened to no shirt no service? We should probably boycott Waffle House until we feel safe eating their cardboard waffles without fear that someone is going to walk in there without pants waving his junk around.

My point, probably poorly made, was to express my frustration with the hyper sensitivity to what was supposed to be a funny picture, as well as the coffee shop incident-perceived racial bias vs. the lack of coverage/concern over two uniformed officers who get murdered for doing nothing but having lunch. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3068 on: April 23, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »
Ok so been watching a selection of car reviews on youtube recently (chap called Doug Demuro)

SOmething I find amusing is that its federally mandated that cars over there have to have a "trunk release" in case someone gets trapped in the boot , sorry I mean trunk ;)

Question I have to ask is "how many people have been " accidentally" trapped in the trunk of their car?

Pretty much none ... since its federally mandated that cars over here have to have a "trunk release" in case someone gets trapped in the trunk, sorry I mean boot.

I suppose we could step back ... get rid of this requirement, have a few deaths, so you can decide, "Hmm, OK, maybe that little pull handle wasn't such a useless idea after all."  ;)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3069 on: April 23, 2018, 09:07:14 AM »
Pretty much none ... since its federally mandated that cars over here have to have a "trunk release" in case someone gets trapped in the trunk, sorry I mean boot.

I suppose we could step back ... get rid of this requirement, have a few deaths, so you can decide, "Hmm, OK, maybe that little pull handle wasn't such a useless idea after all."  ;)

Only been mandated since about 2001 :)
--

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3070 on: April 23, 2018, 09:09:14 AM »
Only been mandated since about 2001 :)

"Only"? That was ~16 years ago.

16 years of thousands and thousands of people being able to safely escape a closed trunk that they totally understandably ended up in.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3071 on: April 23, 2018, 09:24:55 AM »
Now that we no longer have drive in movie theaters, why are people still getting in the trunks (boots) of their cars?

Offline Rob9876

• Beginner Motorcycling
« Reply #3072 on: April 23, 2018, 10:04:33 AM »
Now that we no longer have drive in movie theaters, why are people still getting in the trunks (boots) of their cars?
I think this was mostly an issue for some of Tony Soprano's friends in New Jersey . . .
2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (sold)
Beginner Motorcycling

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3073 on: April 23, 2018, 10:05:01 AM »
Probably to see if the trunk REALLY does go out.

(part of an old refrigerator joke)

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3074 on: April 23, 2018, 10:10:32 AM »
Unquestionably good logic there: since we have had NO trunk deaths in years, and internal trunk releases have been mandatory for years, it would seem quite obvious that not only are the releases working but they may well have saved up to.... a million? two million? many millions? of accidental and perhaps even some intentional deaths by exposure from 'trunk capture syndrome'.

Hey, maybe someone here could run that up the 'Facetwit' pole and get some of the heat off humorous photos? Maybe a grass- roots movement for MORE trunk safety? Maybe a move to outlaw assault trunks? Maybe outlaw high- capacity trunks (Easy Boys! not that kind of a trunk). Will someone please think of the children?!?!?!?

Brian

"Only"? That was ~16 years ago.

16 years of thousands and thousands of people being able to safely escape a closed trunk that they totally understandably ended up in.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #3075 on: April 23, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »

ALso strikes me as nuts that exotics that have trunks you could barely fit a laptop in also , by the same regs, have to have the same emergency release in!!

Laptops? Pfftt...American trunks(boot) need to be large enough to accommodate snipers with AR-15 rifles.  :)
Remember the Beltway Snipers from 2002?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3076 on: April 23, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »
Will someone please think of the children?!?!?!
They did.
 (Yes, I realize you were making a funny, this response is really more about the original question)
Quote from: Federal Register
During the summer of 1998, eleven children died when they inadvertently trapped themselves in the trunk of a car. This new standard will provide children and others who find themselves trapped inside a passenger car trunk a chance to get out of the trunk alive.
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2000/10/20/00-27038/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-interior-trunk-release

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My point, probably poorly made, was to express my frustration with the hyper sensitivity to what was supposed to be a funny picture, as well as the coffee shop incident-perceived racial bias vs. the lack of coverage/concern over two uniformed officers who get murdered for doing nothing but having lunch. 

OK, that's better. Yes there is very much an over reaction to many things these days. Humor seems to be harder to interpret by the increasingly polarized masses. Humor generation can involve risk taking and sometimes not only does it not work, it backfires from over reaction. I don't think it's fair to compare the reaction of racial bias in a coffee shop to the death of the police officers reaction.  I felt I was equally informed about both incidents, but since the shooter took his own life, we have little to follow up on in that story other than the officer's funerals. The coffee shop incident has plenty to follow up on, so there continued to be something to report and thus news coverage. I believe if there was more to the police story ...say if the police announced that they would be taking lunch in groups of three from now on, so one can stand guard while the other two eat, (or some other plan) Then there would have been more reporting about the police murders. That is of course, just my opinion, and I suspect we will continue to disagree about the "A-holes" and the "weak CEO" but that's OK by me.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3077 on: April 23, 2018, 05:45:52 PM »
They did.
 (Yes, I realize you were making a funny, this response is really more about the original question)https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2000/10/20/00-27038/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-interior-trunk-release

Ta,

hmmm I could make a loaded comment about priorities but I won't.

Yes any death is sad but 11 over 12 months is, in the grand scheme of things,(even if you limit it to automobile related events) in a country with the population of the USA not a lot, especially with not knowing how they got in there.

And actually reading that they chose to only highlight the stats from one year ? Is that because that was the highest figure they could find on record?

Added:
Ok just read further it was 11 children within the space of 3 weeks

ALso whats intersting it was first brought up in 1984 by an individual and "Between May 1984 and July 1998, NHTSA received approximately two dozen letters expressing concern about trunk entrapments. In no case was data provided to the agency about the size of this safety problem."
--

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #3078 on: April 23, 2018, 06:09:40 PM »

OK, that's better. Yes there is very much an over reaction to many things these days. Humor seems to be harder to interpret by the increasingly polarized masses. Humor generation can involve risk taking and sometimes not only does it not work, it backfires from over reaction. I don't think it's fair to compare the reaction of racial bias in a coffee shop to the death of the police officers reaction.  I felt I was equally informed about both incidents, but since the shooter took his own life, we have little to follow up on in that story other than the officer's funerals. The coffee shop incident has plenty to follow up on, so there continued to be something to report and thus news coverage. I believe if there was more to the police story ...say if the police announced that they would be taking lunch in groups of three from now on, so one can stand guard while the other two eat, (or some other plan) Then there would have been more reporting about the police murders. That is of course, just my opinion, and I suspect we will continue to disagree about the "A-holes" and the "weak CEO" but that's OK by me.

And I didn’t have enough info on the coffee shop incident to really refer to them as a-holes.  I should’ve looked into that more before spouting off.  I’ve looked into it further, and by all accounts, if accurate, point to gross racial bias.  I saw their interviews, and they seem like good people who were wronged.  But they also appear to have been more than ready to capitalize on the situation too.  It’s the skeptic in me that wonders if this wasn’t a premeditated event based on previous encounters at this store. 

And although we all have some degree of racial bias, I find that my dislike/distrust of the media makes me always doubt the truth and motivations in their storytelling. 

I still think the idea of closing every store in the U.S. for racial sensitivity training is a huge over-reaction on behalf of the company.  Though employees should have that type of training, closing every store comes off as more of a publicity stunt to appease the angry masses than it does to truly address the problem.  The CEO says he wants to “fix this”, but you can’t “fix” human nature.  You can only educate and become aware of how your own biases affect how you look at and treat people.

If there is any positive out of this coffee shop incident, whether premeditated or not, is that maybe more folks are talking about racial bias and how it effects us all. 

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3079 on: April 23, 2018, 07:27:34 PM »

And I didn’t have enough info on the coffee shop incident to really refer to them as a-holes.  I should’ve looked into that more before spouting off.  I’ve looked into it further, and by all accounts, if accurate, point to gross racial bias.  I saw their interviews, and they seem like good people who were wronged.  But they also appear to have been more than ready to capitalize on the situation too.  It’s the skeptic in me that wonders if this wasn’t a premeditated event based on previous encounters at this store. 

And although we all have some degree of racial bias, I find that my dislike/distrust of the media makes me always doubt the truth and motivations in their storytelling. 

I still think the idea of closing every store in the U.S. for racial sensitivity training is a huge over-reaction on behalf of the company.  Though employees should have that type of training, closing every store comes off as more of a publicity stunt to appease the angry masses than it does to truly address the problem.  The CEO says he wants to “fix this”, but you can’t “fix” human nature.  You can only educate and become aware of how your own biases affect how you look at and treat people.

If there is any positive out of this coffee shop incident, whether premeditated or not, is that maybe more folks are talking about racial bias and how it effects us all. 

:thumbs: