Author Topic: C10 EFI Project  (Read 18273 times)

Offline sport rider

Re: C10 EFI Project
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2020, 08:20:47 AM »
I'm really wanting this for my cafe project.   :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

gpineau

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2020, 11:32:34 AM »
I'm really wanting this for my cafe project.   :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

The only things unique about my implementation is the crankshaft sprocket and the position sensor. Everything else you can get from several sources. Mostly eBay, Craig's list, and amazon.

If you decide to go down the path I can share with you where I got everything and give you the crankshaft sensor and sprocket at my cost.
I will also share my "tune" settings with you but they probably won't be optimum for you since I live at 5000 feet and I would bet the air is denser where you live. But it will be enough to get started and if you use the auto tune feature of tuner studio it should be an easy chore to get it the way you like it.

It is a tedious project full of opportunities to mess up. Your vocabulary of 4 letter words will increase exponentially.  But it was a fun project and I feel a sense of accomplishment. 

It's road worthy now and for a while I will just be doing tweaks to the tuning. Then what? It's not awesome but I am proud of it.  I'm not sure I will keep it. I have short legs and I find this and my other Connie difficult to ride.  I have  lowering links for my other Connie and i've got  my Yamaha V-Star which I love..  I suspect this will be parked most of the time. 

gpineau

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2020, 06:34:34 PM »
Connie_Rider.

I just saw that a second barometer feature has been added to the software. If you are going to ride around locally you dont need it but, If you want to cross several states or climb mountains you can add a second barometer sensor to your bike and it operates like this.

The logic is (in this order):
If external baro sensor is enabled, use it (And update approx. every 1 second)
If external baro is disabled, make a reading on startup and check whether it’s within sane limits. If it is, this value is saved in EEPROM and used until the system is switched off
If the startup reading was outside of the valid range (Can occur if the engine is already running for example), then check the last baro value that was saved in EEPROM.
Finally if that value in EEPROM was outside the valid range, default to 100kPa (sea level).

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2020, 08:46:56 AM »
Ok, thanx.
I'm not going to install one of these.
I ride the C-14 most of the time and the C-10 is a spare/loaner.
  & I'm happy e'nuff with the carbs..
And admittedly; The electrical end is over my head..

I'm just interested in your project...

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2020, 02:57:59 PM »
I was having a problem where the fuel injected into the carb would strike the back of the throttle plate and some would splash back and pool in the seam between the carb and the rubber boot to the air-box. Some of it was finding a way to drip out about 1 drop every 10 seconds.  I fitted the back of the carb with a mesh screen that atomizes the spray from the injector and there is no longer any splash-back.

The screen is awesome.  Took some videos with and without the screen and a slow motion with screen. Without the screen the injector is like a squirt gun. With the screen it looks like an air-freshener  aerosol spray.

No kidding with the screen inside the air-box boot, the bike was sucking in that vapor and actually trying to start  (no carb/throttle body) just 5 inches of air space.

https://youtu.be/2TxDRWqNi-k

gpineau

PAINT PROBLEMS
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2020, 11:44:42 AM »
First time using single step paint.
This is Starfire Acrylic Enamel Auto Paint - Merlot Metallic.
mixed 4-1 reducer.  Looks shiny from a distance but not "wet" looking. Up close looks very rough.
I've read that your not supposed to wet sand Acrylic paint  but it looks terrible. like this.
Anyone with experience with single step acrylic enamel? What must I do to get a glossy finish?

gpineau

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2020, 11:46:44 AM »
On a slightly better note.
I picked up my seat today. I am very pleased. Much better that what I had glued together.  He added more padding and smoothed out what the previous owner had done.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »
looks pretty good!

gpineau

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2020, 03:37:15 PM »
lot better second try. Used a slower reducer and less air pressure.  But I am done with single step paint. It's much more problemetic than base/clear. And with clear coat its easier to fix your mistakes.

gpineau

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2020, 12:55:09 PM »
Not so cold today so I got a chance to work in the garage. Finished painting, Welded up an extension and added a small seat. Will never use the extra seat but it makes it look more balanced.

The tune is all messed up since I added the mesh screen in the carb throat. I need to go on another tuning ride when the weather warms  up.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:00:23 PM by gpineau »

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2020, 09:46:50 PM »
This bike looks good, great job!! :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2020, 06:51:52 AM »
Looks like your getting there.
Keep up the good work.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline sport rider

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2020, 09:09:11 AM »
Looking good!!!!!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2020, 04:20:50 PM »
Not so cold today so I got a chance to work in the garage. Finished painting, Welded up an extension and added a small seat. Will never use the extra seat but it makes it look more balanced.

The tune is all messed up since I added the mesh screen in the carb throat. I need to go on another tuning ride when the weather warms  up.

What's with the mesh screen in the carbs?

gpineau

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2020, 05:55:00 PM »
What's with the mesh screen in the carbs?
Well I detected a leak a week ago. Not a big one, just a drop every 10 seconds or so.

It turns out the fuel coming from the injectors was not atomized like you would think. It actually looks like a group of squirt guns aiming at the throttle plate. Well at idle the throttle plate is nearly closed so those streams of liquid were splashing back and collecting in the seam of the air-box boot and eventually dripping.  The screen mesh breaks the streams into a mist that does not splash back and stays inside the throttle body.
You cans see the difference in the video I posted. In the first part of the video you can see the output of the injectors in a stream of liquid. In the next part of the video  you can see the difference the screen mesh makes to the the fuel spray. The last part of the video is in slow motion and you can see the screen breaks the fuel into a mist.
https://youtu.be/2TxDRWqNi-k

The screens change the volumetric efficiency of the cylinder slightly. So I have to make minor adjustment to the VE table to make up for the change in air flow. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2020, 04:17:58 PM »
ok, thanks

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2020, 07:35:24 AM »
I went back to reply #44 and looked at your photo of the screen mesh installed in the carbs.
One concern.
Is there any chance of the screen mesh moving and holding a throttle slide open?

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »
I went back to reply #44 and looked at your photo of the screen mesh installed in the carbs.
One concern.
Is there any chance of the screen mesh moving and holding a throttle slide open?

Ride safe, Ted
Actually Ted, it is not possible.
The outer ring of the screen mesh is just the right size to be press fitted into the opening of the carb (46mm) and the carb opening is larger than the throat of the carb (32mm).  The screen will not fit into the throat more than 3 quarter of an inch where it begins to taper down to the throttle plate. And at that it is still a good inch away from the throttle plate. 
Thanks for paying such close attention to the details of my work.
Once I press it into place I run a thin high temp RTV around the circumference to insure it does not move.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2020, 09:55:19 AM »
Ok, seems fine.
Suggest removing/inspecting them after a time as wires could weaken/break from repeated pulsation flexing.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2020, 01:55:47 PM »
Lowered my C10 !!!   I may actually keep this bike.

I have been procrastinating about this because I thought it was going to be very difficult. In fact it took less that two hours.
I bought this lowering second hand rocker made by Norm, it is a 2"version.
worked like a charm. I got 1.25 inches lower.  Now I can set flat foot on hold it upright.   
Seems closer to the ground but still have ample clearance. I'm not going to be going around corners knee down. I need to go for a few drives to see how it handles.

https://youtu.be/oHRdTUlVB6Y