Author Topic: Feedback when braking with front brake  (Read 3952 times)

Offline bhodge10

Feedback when braking with front brake
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »
hey guys,

I can't quite explain what is happening, but either at low or high speeds, when I brake, I get almost a clicking feeling in both handlebars. I get the feeling only 1 time when I apply the brakes. But if I left off the brakes and reapply them, I get the feeling. I can do this repeatedly. It's hard to describe what it feels like, it's almost like something is shifting on the handlebars or forks. It is more noticeable at lower speeds. I've tried tightening all of the bolts on the handle bars (there is a 1" riser installed), but they all seem really tight.  It seems like I've always had it since I bought the bike 1.5 years and 6000 miles ago. I don't feel like I'm in any danger from it. Nothing feels loose.

Any idea what it could be?

Offline RBX QB

Re: Feedback when braking with front brake
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
You don't state what bike you have, but that phenomenon is well documented on the bikes with ABS. Mine does that, as well.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline mike

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
The steering head bearings are probably loose. It should be covered under warranty.

Offline bhodge10

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:25:14 PM »
Sorry, I usually do put the bike. It's on 08 with ABS with 16k miles on it.

Offline texrider

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 08:14:03 PM »
At 16k, the neck bearings should have been checked and snugged at least once...
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 01:46:36 AM »
You don't state what bike you have, but that phenomenon is well documented on the bikes with ABS. Mine does that, as well.

Mine is smooth as glass when stopping. You could have brake pad build up on the rotors. It appears there is two ways of removing the buildup. One is too get on the front brake harder than normal for a stop , the other is to sand it off with a med grit, scotch brite or the likes.

I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:05:16 AM »
If it's more of a knock than a click and it only does it once....it's the steering bearings.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 1goindiesel

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
I have a new 2012 model, I too notced that when dragging the front brake slightly ahead of a stop and then touching the rear I feel a "bump" in the bike and system once. I think it has something to do with the linked brakes. Does not feel like its broken or wrong, just different. The brakes work great. My one concern with the linked brakes is that I use the rear brake dragging method for slow tight turns and I worry that it will apply front brake and try to spill the bike over in to the turn, being very careful on that front while getting used to the big girl... 
2012 red Kaw Connie, 09 HD Springer Crossbones

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »
Head or wheel bearings.  Take it to the bank.

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »
+1 for steering bearings

Offline bhodge10

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 09:17:08 PM »
So I'm going to get it checked out by a stealership but is there any risks by continuing to ride the bike? The dealership is probably going to keep the bike for weeks and I don't want to do that during peak riding time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 03:58:50 AM »
I don't think so.  I've rode my bike with knock (steering bearings) for quite a bit before I got around to tightening it up.  One thing, though, look at the center of your bars and see if the black plug is there along with the round nut with the allen key in the middle of it.  We've had some of those fall off.  I'd be nervous it it wasn't there.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline texrider

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 05:51:16 AM »
Loose steering bearings can de-stabilize the bike at speed, and cause a tank-slapper event... :o
2014 Valkyrie

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 11:13:39 AM »
Very true, but in my case I had a pretty severe knock and procrastinated a year or two without issues.  I guess it depends on the looseness....