Author Topic: 09 concours14, TPMS question  (Read 818 times)

Offline zhangjx0545

09 concours14, TPMS question
« on: April 16, 2021, 06:33:59 PM »
UPDATE
thanks everyone for the input! i did have a chance to ride it today, and this is what I found:
with rear TPMS battery replaced only, it took >20mhp, ~3min to update the reading;
with both tpms battery replaced, it too >20mph, ~0.5 min to update both readings.

So it is working now, thanks!!!

Hello everyone

I believe "the new to me" 09 concours 14's TPMS batteries are both dead, because the tire pressure shows -- for both front and rear.

I replaced the rear sensor's battery, but did not have the chance to take a ride outside due to weather. WHen I tried in the garage, I put the bike on center stand and spin the rear wheel up to 30mph, but the TPMS still shows --.

I m wondering how fast and how long the bike has to run before TPMS display updates? or the sensor could be bad? or i have to change both front and rear before the reading works again?
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 09:31:48 PM by zhangjx0545 »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 09 concours14, TPMS question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 08:21:32 PM »
If the sensor is working, in my experience it typically takes about 1 minute before it wakes and transmits.  I don't know the exact speeds, this is just based on many years of waiting for it to display.  I believe if you had it spinning at more than 25MPH for more than a few minutes and it doesn't display, the sensor is probably still not working.  Could be defective, or the battery replacement procedure wasn't good (or there is extreme RFI where you were testing, but that is unlikely).  I suppose it is possible something else is wrong, since you have never seen it working before (like someone swapped sensors and never programmed them).

No, you don't have to change both (front/rear) for it to work.  Each is completely independent of the other.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 08:46:53 PM »
As Max said, it could be a problem with the replacement process.  I've replaced quite a few batteries on my own and other bikes.  It's VERY easy to momentarily short circuit the battery while soldering.  I know this from personal experience.  Always check the voltage on the new battery before and after soldering.  I then tie a shoe lace to the sensor, turn on the ignition then spin the sensor.  It takes 60-75 seconds for the display to show 0psi and the red light, after which I fit it to the rim and finish the job off.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:02:57 AM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 05:49:26 AM »
I have been running with only one working TPS for a year now. I find with only one working it takes twice as long for it to show PSI. I think the display is waiting for both to connect. I do have one TPS that has a non battery related failure. Both I and Fred replaced batteries and it still shows ---.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Mr2U

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 09:08:57 AM »
some can get the sensors out, without removing the tires from the rims,
I think there is a U Tube,
then send them to Fred, he can replace and test them also.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 06:08:29 PM »
........ Both I and Fred replaced batteries and it still shows ---.

I had one where the new battery would last only a couple of weeks.  I replaced it a few times to no avail.  I then replaced the sensor and bench tested the faulty sensor over subsequent months.  Each new battery I fitted would show 3.0v or less after a month or so.  I deduced that the motion sensor within the TPMS sensor that wakes it up each ride was the cause.  I tried different brands of battery with same result.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 07:35:46 PM »
I had one where the new battery would last only a couple of weeks.  I replaced it a few times to no avail.  I then replaced the sensor and bench tested the faulty sensor over subsequent months.  Each new battery I fitted would show 3.0v or less after a month or so.  I deduced that the motion sensor within the TPMS sensor that wakes it up each ride was the cause.  I tried different brands of battery with same result.
I am convinced my failed unit was due to a failure of the motion sensor as well. Except in my case the motion sensor failed in the off position.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.