Author Topic: I need tire sensor replaced , will it be covered under Good Times warranty ?  (Read 3091 times)

Offline katata1100

My front sensor will show pressure, then screen is covered with the “low battery F sensor “ warranty for five minutes, then finally shows pressure.
It is a ‘11 with 36k miles, I bought with Good Times extended three year warranty, I reupped it a second time so it’s still in effect. It’s the original sensor.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
I need tire sensor replaced , will it be covered under Good Times warranty ?

Yes.  As long as you can show the dash warning to the staff, it is covered by the original warranty and also the factory extended warranty.  This includes covering of unmounting the tire, and remounting and re-balancing the wheel.  Taking a photo of it can be helpful.  Note that when the batteries are just starting to get weak, the warnings will only appear in colder weather, and might only last for a short time.  As the battery gets worse, it will start warning even in warmer weather, and/or for longer times (until you never get any reading).

But be warned, it will be replaced with the newer design sensor.  The newer sensor has a better battery, that lasts longer than the old ones.  But it is also "potted" in epoxy, making it extremely difficult (or nearly impossible) to open the unit and replace the battery.  If you have no intention of ever trying to replace the battery yourself, then it is nothing to worry about.

Tip: If you are still under warranty, and will need a tire soon, most dealers will cut you a break (or charge you nothing) on the mounting/balancing of a new tire, since the warranty will pay them for those procedures, anyway.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
I cannot say with certainty but it seems that Kawasaki is mostly following the already- stated five- year battery lifespan regarding warranty replacement. So they will replace the sensor(s) <generally> if the bike is under warranty and it is w/in the 5 year span of time. I doubt they will replace the batteries on the sensors of an '11 at this time as it is well beyond the 'expected' life of the batteries.

In some cases Kawasaki has denied warranty coverage claiming that the sensor is merely showing a warning and has not actually failed. I think they have a valid point here, not to say that that is the correct way to respond, only pointing out that there is legitimacy, IMO, that the sensor has not really failed.

Just my opinion though and you can certainly ask a dealer....

Brian

My front sensor will show pressure, then screen is covered with the “low battery F sensor “ warranty for five minutes, then finally shows pressure.
It is a ‘11 with 36k miles, I bought with Good Times extended three year warranty, I reupped it a second time so it’s still in effect. It’s the original sensor.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
well, the long and short of this, is;

Yes, if it is saying bad battery, the unit is played out... i.e., no it ain't registering "---" on the dash, but it' hot, power wise...

NOW, comes the dealership, and their participation... we have seen many just turn customers away... basically flipping the bird to them... unacceptable....  and even "lying" to the covered customer, without ever lifting the phone to make a call... I hope ALL those dealerships disolve into dust.

you have an extended KPP plan, you ARE covered... however, you will likely get a new style enor... no big deal, the new ones have a larger ampacity batt already installed, and should lat better than 5 years. (even tho they are not replaceable like the gen 1 version, if you decide to do it on your own)

I had mine replaced, on my '08, which was purchased 7-7-07, in late 2012 (10-2012), under my extended GTPP/ KPP... with no issues, in a different state from my original purchase... I made a call, explained my need, and they called me back after ordering the parts without even seeing/leaving the bike, to have me come in and have them done when the parts showed up 4 days after I called.   Dealers can hose you down, or they can be good people... lets hope your dealer is the latter of the 2.

But, a far a "Kaw" is concerned, with a KPP, it IS covered... replacement due to age of some "projected 5 year value" that was originally noted, as normal battery life on pre '13 models, does not come into the equation with KPP.

call, schedule, have them replaced, cost free.. if you need tires... well, add those in, you get free mount and balance but you pay their tire price if you buy their tire... and they can jack you again, if they are determined.  (so buy tires online, and carry them in also... be prepared to take your old ones home with you tho, they charge for "old tire disposal"   ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline zrx mitch

Replacing the battery isn't hard. I know a guy that needed both batteries, he studied the process and did one of his last Thursday. I went to his house Friday and we did his other one, both of mine, and both of a friends in a few hours. No tire machine, just a few tire irons and rim protectors (4 hands helps) and you're only removing 1 side anyway to allow access to the sensor. Mark the tire/wheel with blue painters tape before starting, align the tape when you remount the tire and you won't have to worry about rebalancing.
IBA #18591

Offline PH14

Yes, I have had three replaced under warranty. I had two replaced before the warning showed all the time. Once the tire warmed up, the warning would go away. I simply took a picture of the dash displaying the warning, and showed the service manager.

Offline BMahar

I also have a 2011 Concours and the TPS batteries were failing. I sent them to Fred Harmon and he replaced the batteries, did a check on them and returned them in a very short time for a very reasonable price.
 You can contact him at "fredharmon@netzero.net".

Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Or you can put in regular valve stems. No warnings about batteries or missing info. No red light in your face. No more TPS issues. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
I just had front and rear TPS replaced under warranty last weekend. Asked the service manager if they would be covered, he said absolutely. Had to order the parts. Brought it back the next weekend and had them swapped out. He offered me a deal on changing the tires are the same time since there would be no labor charge. He didn’t have any tires in stock that I wanted. Not quite due for tires yet anyway, but getting close.

The price of 2 sensors, if I had to buy new ones myself, exceeded what I paid for the extended warranty. I normally do not buy extended warranties due to all the mods I do to my bikes. Forum price of the extended warranty thru Ultimate Cycles (also where I bought my C14) is so low, it’s kind of a no brainer. If the TPS batteries go bad every year or two like these did, another 3 year extended warranty will be a good investment!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline katata1100

Almost immediately after getting tpsm replaced, I knew something was wrong . The next morning it was around 45 degrees and the bike showed pressure for both tires after about 30 secs of riding , then again flashed “ low battery Tire F”
So I took it back to shop. They said they drove it and it was fine. Well, we had a brief heat wave in the upper 70’s. I told them to drive in the morning when it would be in the 40’s. They did .
They then ordered another sensor ( this is taking weeks btw).
Shop said bike is done. They said that kawa replaced the original tpsm design with a new one that has a sealed battery design, but that one was just very recently replaced with a newer design ( gen 3???).

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
new part number?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Almost immediately after getting tpsm replaced, I knew something was wrong . The next morning it was around 45 degrees and the bike showed pressure for both tires after about 30 secs of riding , then again flashed “ low battery Tire F”
So I took it back to shop. They said they drove it and it was fine. Well, we had a brief heat wave in the upper 70’s. I told them to drive in the morning when it would be in the 40’s. They did .
They then ordered another sensor ( this is taking weeks btw).
Shop said bike is done. They said that kawa replaced the original tpsm design with a new one that has a sealed battery design, but that one was just very recently replaced with a newer design ( gen 3???).

WOW..... sounds almost as if they installed an older type sensor as the replacement.... did it have a "hex" in the valve stem, or was it just a round stem, that had a round base that had a taper on it...???
what does the other one, that didn't fail, look like???

they may have gotten their hands on an "old one", which was defunct since mid/late 2013... replaced in the system by the new type, that had a "hex" on it. (and even then, it may be an old "new style", dating back to '14, sitting in stock...)

old  style         21176-0107  '08 thru '13
                replaced by
   21176-0125   SENSOR,TPMS 315MHZ
                from '10 thru '13
these had the "no hex" stems, and you could cut them open and replace your battery if desired

new   style        listed as from '14 thru current model...
these had the "hex" on the stem, and were "sealed" internally.. not happy for replacement of battery without extreme p.i.t.a. effort
21176-0748   SENSOR,TPMS 315MHZ

Offline kzz1king

When the low battery flashes does it indicate what sensor has low voltage?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline katata1100

“13
                replaced by
   21176-0125   SENSOR,TPMS 315MHZ
                from '10 thru '13
these had the "no hex" stems, and you could cut them open and replace your battery if desired

these had the "hex" on the stem, and were "sealed" internally.. not happy for replacement of battery without extreme p.i.t.a. effort
21176-0748   SENSOR,TPMS 315MHZ”

That’s exactly it. My receipt shows the -0125 sensor ,
Then the 0748 sensor

Offline Freddy

When the low battery flashes does it indicate which sensor has low voltage?

Yes
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline kzz1king

Thank you
author=Freddy link=topic=24016.msg300612#msg300612 date=1557533486]
Yes
[/quote]
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
“13
                replaced by
   21176-0125   SENSOR,TPMS 315MHZ
                from '10 thru '13

21176-0748   SENSOR,TPMS 315MHZ”

That’s exactly it. My receipt shows the -0125 sensor ,
Then the 0748 sensor

go back and have them give you the "dead" one they pulled out, they already programmed it to your bike, and you can remove and re-install a battery, for future use, as it's already programmed into the slot...
good luck prying it outta their hands... I've tried before... but maybe they will give it to you..(that sensor should have been out of circulation, even new in package, for OVER 5 YEARS....  ??? ::)  )

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
go back and have them give you the "dead" one they pulled out, they already programmed it to your bike, and you can remove and re-install a battery, for future use, as it's already programmed into the slot...

I may be wrong, but I thought the new number overwrote the previous one and if you want to change the sensor back you have to write it again.
I haven't tried it yet. I have two sets of wheels with good tyres and when the current ones wear out I'm going to swap the wheels complete.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline Freddy

Yes Dai.. Michelle, you are correct.   :chugbeer:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline katata1100

Too late to get sensor but I don’t really care.
I have about 38k on my ‘11 , I think eight years on an original sensor is pretty good and I might not
Own this bike 8 years from now.