Author Topic: Two highly recommended farkles, and other thoughts  (Read 8771 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Two highly recommended farkles, and other thoughts
« on: May 27, 2016, 02:06:16 PM »
So, I know there's a whole section on mods you can make to your C-10 more user friendly.  This thread is so that people can share their favorite ones.  This thead is intended to enlighten some of our newer owners around here, as the 'veteran' Connie owners have probably already done some/most/all of these.

I've had my bike for over 50K miles now, and there are two inexpensive farkles that I have added to my bike early on that I thank myself for having them every time I'm doing some sort of maintenance on the bike.  Murphs carries both of these btw.

The first is thumbscrews for the side panels (This kind, not the torture ones...).  The left panel accesses to the fuse box, the right panel accesses the rear shock adjuster.  I find myself pulling the right panel fairly often (to check the air pressure in the shock), so having thumbscrews (or side cover knobs as Murphs refers to them as) saves a lot of time.  The ones Murphskits has are ideal, reasonably inexpensive and complement the bike nicely!
http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_95&products_id=90

the second is having quick release fuel tank pins.  Essentially this replaces the screws that secure the tank with posts that accomodate hairpins.  I don't pull my tank that often, but when I do, again these save me a bit of time (i.e. not having to fiddle with a screwdriver).  Also, it saves a little effort by not having to put the screws back in when your done if the tank isn't sitting perfectly and you need to shift it.  With this kit, the tank slips over the posts, voila!  Yeah, you still have to keep track of the hairpins, but I usually just put them back in the posts once the tank is off, so that I don't lose them.
http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_95&products_id=101

Some other thoughts:

I also recommend having a vent in your windscreen (in whichever windscreen you end up with, FYI I have a Cee Bailey).  That extra bit of fresh air coming through the windscreen vent on summer days is kinda nice.  And you can always block/tape it off in cooler weather if the cold air becomes bothersome.

I also like the accessory fuse block which I added, but that isn't necessarily something every Connie rider will need (i.e. you'll probably want this once you begin adding electrical accessories)

Other mods (handlebars vs bar risers, seat mods, etc.) often have multiple solutions, and each rider has their own preferences on these, but the two I mentioned at the beginning of this thread (thumbscrews, tank pin kit) are simply just nice to have, and are well worth their inexpensive price. 

I find lowered pegs/kneesavers as a nice addition, but these aren't 'essential' mods, and they are a bit pricey (for those of us on a budget).  If you happen to break a peg, though, this provides an excellent excuse to get these.  And btw these are a lot more comfortable than the bolt that I was using as a temporary peg, and I like them better than the stock pegs although I seem to keep hooking my boots on them when I am getting underway - they are just a little wider than the stock pegs.  I need to mentally adjust my feet to come up just a bit more 'wide' when lifting them off of the ground, as my 'muscle memory' is tuned to the stock pegs, hot the kneesavers.  I much prefer the kneesavers though!  They fold up much more easily than the stock pegs, which is an issue in a tipover (my bike hasn't kissed the pavement since I added them though, knock on wood).

BTW, on the peg thing, if your stock driver's pegs can only fold up 45 degrees (i.e. aren't modified), you should consider grinding off the 'tab' that is preventing them from folding up farther, so that they can fold up more fully.  This becomes an issue in a spillover, as they can break, leaving you without a peg (note: see pot aluminum comment further below).  You may want to put a long bolt of the appropriate thread size in one of your glove boxes, under your seat, or in your trunk if you have one, so that you have a temporary peg option handy should this ever occur.

Bafflectomies (i.e. punching a hole through the baffle in the stock muffler) will make your Connie sound meaner (throatier, and maybe just a fraction louder, not much louder though), and may add a tiny fraction in performance, should you have the stock pipes, assuming they haven't been bafflectomized already.  You'll need a piece of rebar and a hammer, or a 1 1/8" (maximum size) hole drill bit with an extension bit...

Finally, this isn't really a farkle, but if for some reason you are still running the 'OEM spec' Dunlops, I highly recommend that you find another option.  The stock tires are holding your bike back, and there are several options which will give you better handling and performance, and in some cases more miles between replacements.  Plus that centerline groove isn't much fun should you be going across a milled or other road surface with grooves running parallel-ish to your own course... THAT is an unsettling feeling.  I would hope that at this point NO ONE has those anymore, but there may be a couple of you out there that are still running the 'Stock Dunlops', and maybe actually like them for some reason.  My bike is a much better animal without them.

Steve In Sunny Florida's mods are very nice (don't have these yet), but aren't necessarily essential (except for the overflow tubes, hydrolock is no joke!).  Although once you get them, you may feel differently...  I have a piece of foam in my airbox still, though (it adds a bit of low end torque/makes my bike better mannered at idle/takeoff)!  I really need to get the jets that go along with it... my plan is to do all of Steve's mods at once (finally, been drooling for years now), maybe later this year.  Lessee, that'd be the new cam, carb mods, and of course '7th' gear... drool drool!!!

Things I wish we had:

The one thing that annoys me is Kawasaki's decision to use pot aluminum in several of our bike components.  I've had to do multiple welds/repairs to my luggage antlers, and I recently had to replace a peg and a peg bracket which had also broken (and I still need to replace/fix my broken passenger peg bracket too).  If some enterprising aftermarket person made some more durable options for those components that keep breaking due to tipovers/spills, I'm sure a few of us would buy them as needed, but that's a pretty small aftermarket so I don't expect this to happen.

On that antler thing, my most recent repair is somewhat interesting.  I have two strips of aluminum bar (about 1/8" or 3/16"? by 1", cut down slightly on width to fit between the 'I-beam' ends of the antler construction, sandwiching the antler between the two strips, with four bolts securing these two strips to the antler (two bolts on either side of my break), having drilled holes through the bars and antlers.  I've welded this antler twice before, but the latest weld didn't 'take' - pot aluminum welds are dicey to begin with.  So far, it has held up nicely (been about a year now, not bad for a <$10 repair).  I'm sure I'll need to replace this antler if it breaks again, and thankfully, these are still available.

If I had a pot aluminum welder, I might consider experimenting by welding the two aforementioned strips to the antler permanently, but I'm not sure how well the materials would mix (the aluminum strip I bought at home depot, and I don't think it's the same pot aluminum).  If this would work, this might be an excellent way to reinforce the lower leg of the antlers, to better withstand tipovers.

And on that note...

Get tip over bars.  I wish the newer efforts from MC Enterprises didn't have the luggage lock blocking issue on the rears, but the fronts look nicer than the other option from Murphs.  My bike is looking pretty sad right now thanks to being tipped over a few times (stupid drunk people, and a nasty spill that one time...).  The ones offered through Murphs will also help, and don't have the issue with the rear luggage lock if I understand correctly.  Dunno if the MC Enterprises ones are still available, but I've pondered mixing and matching the MC fronts with the Murphs rears.  I'll probably be grabbing me some bars soon, along with some new plastics, assuming I can find appropriate 2006 fairing pieces, as I love the 2006 color scheme - the nocturne blue is purdy, and the grey complemements the blue nicely - there is still some humorous debate if the sonic blue connies are faster than the nocturne blue connies... our nocturne blue bikes are also stealthier!
 :popcorn:

Enough rambling for now.  does anyone else have any 'essential mods' or other farkle related comments/thoughts that they'd love to share with the Connie Collective?
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Two highly recommended farkles, and other thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 02:26:04 PM »
For me the only 2 really worthwhile essential updates to the bike were the overflow tubes (which I came onto by accident when looking to fix my carbs) and Buck's fairing pocket knobs. The others might be a lowering kit for the shorter riders, the tip over bars for the accident prone and Bergmen oil filter for easier oil changes.

That's it. Nothing else is essential nor needed. Instead just buy a newer bike. :P

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 05:06:59 PM »
The list of mods from the OP is good, (especially the Q/D fuel tank bolts) and I have them, but the absolute best mods you can do are Steve's "7th gear" mod, and the "2-minute" mod and overflow tubes for the carbs.  7th gear is spendy but it literally makes the C-10 Connie a WHOLE NEW BIKE.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »

Enough rambling for now.  does anyone else have any 'essential mods' or other farkle related comments/thoughts that they'd love to share with the Connie Collective?

I find it nice to know a guy who carries enough tools and spare parts on his bike to fix just about anything on almost any other bike.   ;D

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:50:52 PM »
SPOOFAK was a nice complement to the side panel knobs and quick tank removal bits. But heated grips are nice, too.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 09:35:38 PM »
SPOOFAK was a nice complement to the side panel knobs and quick tank removal bits. But heated grips are nice, too.

I love having my heated grips as well, although the 'hi' circuit is no longer working on mine, just the low setting.  I gave up riding in cooler weather (say less than 40 degrees, I've developed an aversion to random ice patches), so 'lo' does me just fine, but I do find myself missing the warmer 'hi' setting.  My left grip sleeve is about worn through at this point, so I may use this as an excuse to replace my heated grip elements & wiring with new ones.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 11:54:13 PM »
Russell seat. Or a "Maxi Pad with Wings"
Progressive rear shock. Sweet for consistent loads, PITA to adjust spring for occasional two-up.
Race-Tech springs and emulators (truly, do these)
Murphs fuse block, Murphs Hella light upgrade, Murphs screw kit for the main panels only, and Murphs grip heaters (I was beta test on them)
Replaced the hydraulic hoses years ago with Teflon/SS braid/clear cover.

Suppose the QD tank bolts are nice, but a 10mm socket and 6" extension works just fine. And these are in my 'travel' tool kit.

For the broken pegs, you can grind down the 'stop' on the peg so the front pegs fold up further. Some say it does help.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 05:43:46 AM »
My pick for 2 best mods, if that's all I could afford would be...

#1 - SISF's 7th gear mod

#2 - SISF's 2mm carb jetting

Third would be 17" tires, back first then front.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 06:36:31 AM »
7th gear - without it, I wouldn't have kept the bike.

Sargeant Seat - Luv it.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »
I love having my heated grips as well, although the 'hi' circuit is no longer working on mine, . . .  My left grip sleeve is about worn through at this point, so I may use this as an excuse to replace my heated grip elements & wiring with new ones.
I installed these on a Suzuki SV650S, but they should work fine on the Concours.
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/SV650/heatedGrips.html

If you like DIY complexity, here's what I have on the Concours.
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/gripHeaters.html

As to favourites, a windshield to avoid buffeting, and fork springs/emulators.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 06:36:55 PM »
My favorite addition was the CCS100 cruise.  Love that thing.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 02:35:23 PM »
My favorite addition was the CCS100 cruise.  Love that thing.
^this. #1

And Rifle windshield and Russell seat and fairing extenders and heated grips and torque cams and 2mm and TPMS and...and...and...
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 11:50:44 AM »
The one thing that annoys me is Kawasaki's decision to use pot aluminum in several of our bike components....

Just to be clear, Kawasaki does not use "pot" aluminum in any of their die castings, they use a de-facto standard aluminum casting alloy, usually 356. The castings that have "failed" are not designed to accept the forces of a tip-over, they break as a result. The design of the foot peg bracket is poor in that they do not completely fold up during tip over, concentrating the force in a way that breaks the part(s). A simple mod allowing full fold-up solves that issue.

Dan

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 02:12:05 PM »
Just to be clear, Kawasaki does not use "pot" aluminum in any of their die castings, they use a de-facto standard aluminum casting alloy, usually 356. The castings that have "failed" are not designed to accept the forces of a tip-over, they break as a result. The design of the foot peg bracket is poor in that they do not completely fold up during tip over, concentrating the force in a way that breaks the part(s). A simple mod allowing full fold-up solves that issue.

Dan

Not completely.  I had already done the mod in question when my right peg bracket broke, requiring a replacement.  Note that the pedal didn't break, just the bracket.  And this was due to a simple tipover, thanks to some drunk person knocking over my bike...

I did the 'grind tab off of driver's pegs' mod within my first month of owning this bike, and while I believe it helps (should your bike tip over), it won't completely guarantee non-breakage.  I still recommend at least doing the mod, or going with another peg option, as it it does decrease your chance of peg/peg bracket breakage.  If your stock driver's pegs only fold up 45 degrees or so, this mod has not been done, fyi for you newer connie owners. 

Same with my left side pedal and passenger peg bracket (mod was done, still experienced breakage), when my bike went down that one time (gotta luv slick patches).  Whatever the alloy is called, it isn't very good, and Kawasaki should have chosen an alloy that was stronger than the current one, one better able to absorb the shock of a fall from such a top heavy bike.  Also, welding these is dicey, due to the 'puffy/fluffy' nature of the alloy.  My attempt to have the 'bolt tabs' welded back on to my passenger bracket was a complete failure (snapped immediately, when I was in the process of reattaching the pedal).  My left antler welded fine the first time, but not the second time.  If a 'tighter/stronger' alloy had been used, these brackets would be less prone to failure, pure and simple.

Hopefully, most Connie owners will never have their bike go over, but the pedal and antler components are a weak point in the design, so be prepared for breakage, or arrange for protection of these components (tip over bars).  The fact that Connies are so top-heavy works against these components in the event of a fall/tipover.

Also, as I mentioned before, get tip over bars, it'll save you some headache should your bike ever fall/go over.  And your plastics will thank you/stay pretty.  I personally prefer the MCEnterprises front bar design, as I think it looks more stylish, and the front bars mesh with the lines of the bike fairing better, and looks to be a bit sturdier, but the back bracket issue (blocking the lock latch) should have been resolved.  Dunno if you can still get those though.

I haven't heard any complaints about the Murphs rear bars, other than some people commenting that they seem to bend/fail too easily should your bike go over while moving.  I've pondered mixing the Murph's rear bars with the MC Enterprises front bars, or modifying the rear MC rear bars to resolve the luggage issue, when I finally have the pennies to buy these - along with some plastics unfortunately, as my plastics have seen better days.  My fairing plastics are still functional, but not pretty...