Author Topic: Mod Corbin  (Read 4890 times)

Offline medicevans

Mod Corbin
« on: May 13, 2011, 04:16:28 PM »
Is it possible to mod a Corbin seat?  I traded my stock seat for a couple badly needed windshields.  The Corbin hits me wrong and I end up riding on my tailbone.  I can't hardly stand to ride it more than an hour at a time.  Thanks. 

Offline Lodogg2221

Re: Mod Corbin
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »
You could, but it wouldnt be easy.  I dont think too many custom seat makers will touch them either.
Might contact Corbin and see if they will do it for you...

I got one recently and havent been on a ride with it yet, but Ive had them on all my previous bikes with the exception of my VTX.  Ive always liked them well enough.
I did find a guy that mods the stock seat, supposed to be pretty good for not much money, and Ill probably have him mod my stock seat if he ever returns my email...

Point being, if you really wanted to, you could probably sell the Corbin and get whatever other seat you liked, or another stock seat and have it modded....and not be out much if any money.
Say what?

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 03:14:18 AM »
I may trade my late model stock seat for the corbin: I used it once, don't think the po ever did. But sounds like you want an early seat to slide back farther.

And my neighbor is an upholsterer. He has recovered a previous seat for another bike, and stated that it would be no problem for him to modify the seat any which way, you just won't keep the cover in most cases. Internet has some interesting seat cover material options.

Offline medicevans

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:16:02 AM »
Gpz, pm and email inbound.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »
I redid mine, it's not that bad.  I looked at http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/ and a few other places.  I riveted my new cover on just like the corbin comes stock, because I had lots of rivets and didn't have a pneumatic staple gun.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »
Quite a few have used Spencer's seat mods for making foam changes to existing seats with good results.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline medicevans

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 06:24:03 PM »
I redid mine, it's not that bad.  I looked at http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/ and a few other places.  I riveted my new cover on just like the corbin comes stock, because I had lots of rivets and didn't have a pneumatic staple gun.
Funny you should mention diymotorcycleseat.com.  It is a really cool site.  I was looking at it last night.  Very interesting and informative, even if someone wasn't going to recover a seat. 

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 08:37:07 PM »
When I checked with Spencer's a year or so ago, they would not work on Corbins. That being said, I have a Corbin that is as hard as a rock. I had it modified with a combination of memory foam and visioelastic honeycomb at BikeWeek a couple of years ago. Made absolutely no difference in how the seat felt. None. Just as hard as before. In my seat's case, I'm convinced it's the leather being too stiff to allow the resiliance of the foam to do anything. No more leather seats for me.

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:00:28 PM »
I tried to get info from Spencer, but he was less than helpful.
Obviously didnt pay attention to the entire email I sent or even bother to reply to my response asking for his advice or options with the stock seat.
Im sure lots of guys are happy with his mods, but I guess Ill look elsewhere.

I have a Corbin, and dont mind the feel, but the shape where it meets the bike leaves a bit to be desired.  Its an older one, so maybe that has something to do with it, but the gap near the tank is way too big.  I could darn near put my wallet in there while I am riding!
I was thinking if he could mod my stock seat, I might sell the Corbin.  Might fit someone elses Connie better...but thats out now.  Maybe I can find someone else to redo the stock seat.
Say what?