Author Topic: retro fit fairing, instruments and headlamp  (Read 3913 times)

Offline bbarrows

retro fit fairing, instruments and headlamp
« on: April 12, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »
 Topic: retro fit fairing, instruments, headlamp  (Read 15 times)
 bbarrows

QuoteModifyRemove
I took my fairing (87 connie) off it is a mess and needs a lot of repair work, along with it came the instruments and fairing  frame/rack. It is going to be  awhile before I get around to the fairing repair work. So I have seen on here that there are other plug and use instruments I can retrofit, GPZ? That and I need to mount a head lamp and signals so I can use the bike. I would go with a complete not Connie fairing if one was reasonable tot retrofit.
Any insight and ideas? I could use some guidance and help.
Thanks

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: retro fit fairing, instruments and headlamp
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:48:01 PM »
Instrument panel from any 900/1000 Ninja from 85-93 is a plug and play self contained and sealed swap. You will need to temporarily snip the white wire on the large harness on the Conni side, or disconnect it from the plug, as it is the clock circuit, on the ninja side of the harness that wire is the kickstand down light.

fabricate brackets that tie to the top tripple tree clamp bolts, they are pretty close and offer the best support option there.

here's what it looks like.... ;)

Also note I retained and mounted the "reserve lighting" module on that bracket to the left side, removing it from the harness tends to create headlight problems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-86-Kawasaki-GPZ-ZX900a-Ninja-Speedometer-Gauge-Cluster-/181120984387?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2ba6e543&vxp=mtr#ht_4617wt_1129

it needs to be from a 900/1000R for me to insure the plug and play thing, don't be tempted to get one from a 600 or 250, as I cannot say they will work, also the tach is different. The speedo on the 900/1000 is also timed correctly for the Conni drive gear and cable.
Also IMPORTANT: make sure the one you go for has the mounting brackets as this one has, without those.....you will have a p.i.t.a. mounting it....
look closely at what is being sold, the buttons on these are covered with rubber boots, don't buy one with damaged boots...
I bought a couple of these during my build, and never paid more than $35, but that was 8 years ago... ::)

another nice benefit of that cluster is it has a voltmeter function built in...very convenient. ;)

here's a complete headlight assy for CHEAP...buy it!!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-1986-ZL600-ZL-600-ELIMINATOR-HEADLIGHT-HEAD-LIGHT-BUCKET-PILOT-GAUGES-/400460961674?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3d55578a&vxp=mtr#ht_1472wt_1129

and mounts:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-headlight-mounting-brackets-Honda-CB650-CB750-fits-35mm-Fork-Tube-/110989726806?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19d780d456#ht_3613wt_1129

Conni fork tubes are 42mm diameter, you need to keep that in mind, this link was for reference only...but it probably would work without the rubber...

here's another cool option....didn't have these out when I built COGZilla
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Head-light-F-dual-sport-street-fighter-dirt-bike-custom-motorcycle-xenon-exc-/370796000557?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1986%7CMake%3AKawasaki&hash=item565529f52d&vxp=mtr#ht_1105wt_892
and mounts:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:45:08 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: retro fit fairing, instruments and headlamp
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 10:24:27 AM »
It depends on how tight money is.
You can get a decent selection of fairing panels from Fleabay these days so unless you have to have them colour matched, you can create a United Colours of Benetton C10. The usual bits that get busted are the turn signal surrounds, the tabs that attach the panels together and the upper fairing frame gets twisted when the bike is dropped. I have ridden with parts of the fairing held in places by zip ties and Duct tape.

If you are going for the nekkid look however, then you have all kinds of choices.
With minor mods you can use the 94-06 clocks in a home-made pod as well as the Ninja 900/1000 clocks that MoB mentioned.

I had a nekkid C10 planned for years but I finally gave up as I always had enough time or enough money, but never BOTH!
Now I just ride my C14 and tweak my C10 and work on other peoples bikes when I have time.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK