Author Topic: Lowering Link centerstand problems  (Read 4954 times)

Offline mightymousesr

Lowering Link centerstand problems
« on: August 30, 2014, 08:34:52 AM »
    I just got my C10 and the first thing I needed to do was lower it before I could safely ride it. So I ordered some of Soupys performance links. So while I waited I started checking through forums and noticed everyone crying about losing their center stand, well if you lower it the center stand is just about useless. Anyway I got my links from Soupys and installed them, I had wondered about the weird angles cut into the outside edge of the aluminum fittings, all the pictures I'd seen they were square. After the installation I found out why! You can now keep the center stand. The angles were for clearance.
Those that think that "Old is SLOW" have Never ridden a V65 Magna.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Lowering Link centerstand problems
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:40:44 AM »
What is the lowered distance you purchased (or is this the adjustable one)?  I do not have this modification but I thought the issue was not clearance issues.  The issue was that riders either did not not have the correct motion or strength to lift it the additional few inches to go over center from a lower starting point to get the bike on the centerstand.  Maybe I'm wrong?

Did you get a shorter kickstand too?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Kaps

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »
I bought my '06 several years ago and it was already lowered.  Not sure about the lowering distance but I have a 30" inseam and can easily flat foot at stops.  The center stand is still attached, but effectively useless as the bike cannot be put on it.  Several have tried, including a local dealer.  I have consirered taking it off but since it isn't in the way of anything, just haven't done it.  I did buy Soupy's adjustable kickstand and am very pleased with it.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 07:34:01 AM »
I bought my '06 several years ago and it was already lowered.  Not sure about the lowering distance but I have a 30" inseam and can easily flat foot at stops.  The center stand is still attached, but effectively useless as the bike cannot be put on it.  Several have tried, including a local dealer.  I have consirered taking it off but since it isn't in the way of anything, just haven't done it.  I did buy Soupy's adjustable kickstand and am very pleased with it.
Same here.  I have to be careful on sharp left handers or the stand will drag.
I did buy a used side stand to cut down but it looks like the exhaust needs to come off to get the stand out.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:04:36 PM by oldsmoboat »

Offline jim-d

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 12:43:03 PM »
IDK maybe I'm behind the times but why would anybody buy a bike they couldn't sit on?  I can undertand for performance or looks but right out of the box is a little different.  There are a lot of other bikes with a lower center of gravity.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
IDK maybe I'm behind the times but why would anybody buy a bike they couldn't sit on?  I can undertand for performance or looks but right out of the box is a little different.  There are a lot of other bikes with a lower center of gravity.
I did it to **** you off.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Mission accomplished.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline jim-d

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 03:22:53 PM »
No, not pissed at all.  I guess it's like buying a new suit knowing you have to have the pants hemmed up before you can wear it.  Still the logic of going to all that for a c 10 escapes me.  To each his / her own I suppose.

Wish I could find a buyer that motivated   :D

Offline HaChayalBoded

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 04:45:21 PM »
I have 17" wheels and a Hagon rear shock which effective lowers the bike on my toy connie (the one with all the farkles).

The center stand legs are cut down right to where the lever is. Even with that it's a bear to put up.

Just ride the back wheel on a piece of 2x4 to get it on the center stand. If you need to put it on the center stand on the road, cut a piece of 2x4 to the same length as the inside top of your saddlebags. Get some 3M dual lock pieces, large ones, put them on the top inside portion of one of the bags and on the 2x4. Voila, a portable way to get the bike on the centerstand.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 06:39:05 AM »

How many other bikes can you cheaply find that have a full tour fairing, removable hard luggage, shaft drive, liquid cooling and a fuel tank larger than a camels hump?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010