Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 865631 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3000 on: April 15, 2018, 06:01:01 AM »
Rode to, and attended, the 2A demonstration in my area.

Whoops, maybe this oughta go into the Arena........

No....it should not. Glad you had good weather for the ride. Rained here all day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3001 on: April 15, 2018, 07:01:22 AM »
Rode to, and attended, the 2A demonstration in my area. [RIC]

VCDL!

I would have gone if I had known all my other plans fell through.  So not even a tiny ride :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3002 on: April 15, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »
I had trouble with that method. Only tried it twice.

It made sense when I thought of it. It was before I realized others did it too, so yeah, dumb as I am I thought it was my own idea. When I couldn't get it to work, I thought that is why I hadn't heard of anyone else doing it. Since then it seems like the world is doing it when I can't. When I tried it, the strap would get so much traction on the tire, that it wouldn't slip and tighten all the way around the tire. Instead it would just tighten right at the clamp and deform the tire so much right in that ratchet area, that there was no way that it would seal the rim. I finally got some saran wrap and put it around the tire so the strap would slip and that's the only time I got it to work. Since then just to avoid that pain, I bounce the tire fairly hard on the floor going all around the rim and it has sealed enough to get air in it. I haven't had to get the ratchet strap and saran wrap out again. Still, I sure would like to know why I can't make it work when everybody else can. My curiosity is not so strong that I'll try it when I don't need to however. So far ..so good...

I noticed the same thing happening, too.  I backed off the tension and gave it a shot.  Maybe I got lucky. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3003 on: April 15, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »
Just to comment on the whole strap idea: I have had the problem of tire beads not touching the wheel edges also and they simply will not start to fill with air. But so far, I have been successful in standing the tire / wheel up, lubing both beads with rubber lube and gently bouncing the tire / wheel against the ground while filling it with air. At some point, the beads do just touch and from that point on the tire will fill readily until both beads seat. And by gentle I mean not more than 1" high, light bounces off of the ground with the tire, just enough to 'rattle' it around inside the wheel. Sometimes it happens right away, other times it takes a few minutes but so far, and I have done quite a few of them, it has always worked and been faster and easier than using a strap.

As I said, not claiming this to always be the cure but so far, it has worked very well for me and is very easy to do. YMMV

Brian

I had trouble with that method. Only tried it twice.

It made sense when I thought of it. It was before I realized others did it too, so yeah, dumb as I am I thought it was my own idea. When I couldn't get it to work, I thought that is why I hadn't heard of anyone else doing it. Since then it seems like the world is doing it when I can't. When I tried it, the strap would get so much traction on the tire, that it wouldn't slip and tighten all the way around the tire. Instead it would just tighten right at the clamp and deform the tire so much right in that ratchet area, that there was no way that it would seal the rim. I finally got some saran wrap and put it around the tire so the strap would slip and that's the only time I got it to work. Since then just to avoid that pain, I bounce the tire fairly hard on the floor going all around the rim and it has sealed enough to get air in it. I haven't had to get the ratchet strap and saran wrap out again. Still, I sure would like to know why I can't make it work when everybody else can. My curiosity is not so strong that I'll try it when I don't need to however. So far ..so good...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Impster

« Reply #3004 on: April 29, 2018, 07:27:16 PM »
Installed the rear hugger and "bearinged up" shifter kit from Murph's Kits https://www.murphskits.com/.

The rear hugger was a little fiddly to get on and centered. I ended up removing my slip-on exhaust just to make things easier. I'm pleased with the quality and construction of the kit. Loctite was used for all fasteners.

The shifter kit was simple to install and took only 15 minutes or so. Is it an "oh my gawd, there is sooo much difference" mod? No. But it does feel like I have a little more feedback on shifting now. I can feel it click into position, where it was just kinda more mushy before. Well worth the $21 expenditure.

Of course, the best part of the 300 mile shakedown ride today. Now if Michigan only had decent roads with actual corners that weren't covered in gravel.
----
2016 Concourse 14 (Black), Corbin seat, Murph's risers, T-Rex lowering links and kickstand

Offline Impster

« Reply #3005 on: April 30, 2018, 06:16:45 PM »
Installed a custom dynamics TruFlex II 65 LED 8.75" red light bar on the back of the stock luggage rack. It's acting as a secondary brake light, no running light.

I'm quite pleased with the outcome.
----
2016 Concourse 14 (Black), Corbin seat, Murph's risers, T-Rex lowering links and kickstand

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3006 on: May 01, 2018, 02:31:32 PM »

OK, you can't fool us, that second photo is a pre-install test.  :finger_fing11:

Let us know how the glue (3M supplied stuff?) holds up over the months ahead.
You may want to tuck that wire (in the first photo) up and under and secure it with some black Sugru so it doesn't snag on something
and then get yanked.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #3007 on: May 02, 2018, 07:31:47 PM »
Installed a custom dynamics TruFlex II 65 LED 8.75" red light bar on the back of the stock luggage rack. It's acting as a secondary brake light, no running light.

Besides the feedback on the adhesive, please let us know what you think about brightness at night and day vs the normal tail lights. I know you have the picture on there, but sometimes it is hard to tell accurately.
Amazon purchase or elsewhere? I see it on Amazon for $65
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Impster

« Reply #3008 on: May 03, 2018, 05:31:45 AM »
OK, you can't fool us, that second photo is a pre-install test.  :finger_fing11:

Let us know how the glue (3M supplied stuff?) holds up over the months ahead.
You may want to tuck that wire (in the first photo) up and under and secure it with some black Sugru so it doesn't snag on something
and then get yanked.

Besides the feedback on the adhesive, please let us know what you think about brightness at night and day vs the normal tail lights. I know you have the picture on there, but sometimes it is hard to tell accurately.
Amazon purchase or elsewhere? I see it on Amazon for $65

Drats! I've been caught red-handed.  :D

It was backed by a 3M adhesive strip. I'm not sure exactly what formula or whatever. Once it made contact with the, prepared, back of the luggage rack, it wasn't going anywhere.

I did end up using a block of wood and sandpaper to square off the rear edge of the stock rack. I then cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and let it dry.

In full sunlight, according to my riding buddy, it is "as bright, and maybe a little brighter, than the brake light".

At dusk/night the light is near painful to look at. The curvature of the stock rack also gives it a degree of visibility to the side (although not a lot).

Time, vibration, and heat will be the true test. I'll update as the riding season goes on.

I bought it directly from Custom Dynamics' web site: https://www.customdynamics.com/truflex-ii

There seemed to be a lot of places selling the original TruFlex, but I wanted the second iteration of the product.
----

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3009 on: May 04, 2018, 01:44:22 AM »

I did end up using a block of wood and sandpaper to square off the rear edge of the stock rack. I then cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and let it dry.

Just to be clear, I am familiar with true flex from Custom Dynamics. My question about the adhesive was wondering how it sticks to the plastic rack long term, but sanding the rack should help it quite a bit.

I have several True Flex LED strips and I can agree they are bright, especially compared to the usual cheap strips that have several LEDs spaced apart. The True flex has them touching each other with no space and it just looks like one continuous LED when you back off a bit.
 However they aren't cheap, and I've had some longevity issues with mine where blocks of 5 LEDs go out completely or flicker. Which is surprising because you are supposed to be able to wrap these  around fork tubes and I've barely flexed them.  They have a lifetime LED warranty so I could deal with it, but I did that once already and I don't want to install them again, it's a pain. Maybe when some more quit working.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3010 on: May 05, 2018, 09:10:37 PM »
34444 miles.  Replaced the front brake pads with genuine (way overpriced at $152) Kawasaki pads mated to the original rotor (which is quite grooved).  That is MUCH easier than bleeding the hydraulics.  The worn pads were not was worn as I thought, probably having a few thousand miles left on them.  The leading and trailing pads had a difference of wear, it might be a good idea to swap them at halfway or something?  Anyway, all done.

Then I cleaned all the bobbins using using a bolt/washers/nut clamp and wireless drill, with brake cleaner only.  Then cleaned all the wheel surfaces, too.  That seems to maybe have cured my light warped feeling with light/slow braking.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tri-J

• 2017 Concours 14
« Reply #3011 on: May 17, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »
Finally got the trunk from back order. Had to install the Admore lights, too!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3012 on: May 17, 2018, 03:23:23 PM »
Finally got the trunk from back order. Had to install the Admore lights, too!

I like the angled lights

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3013 on: May 17, 2018, 06:44:11 PM »
Lubed the throttle cables, but not before going nuts from all the opinions and "you're gonna die if you do that" warnings.

Jeezus, guys, it's just a cable. Y'know?

2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3014 on: May 17, 2018, 07:14:32 PM »
Installed ZX-14 Headers, Muzzy Mufflers, Pressure Control Valve, and ZX-14 Side Stand.
Having some clearance problems, but slowly working everything out.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3015 on: May 17, 2018, 08:17:48 PM »
Installed ZX-14 Headers, Muzzy Mufflers, Pressure Control Valve, and ZX-14 Side Stand.
Having some clearance problems, but slowly working everything out.

Ride safe, Ted
What's your clearance issues?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3016 on: May 18, 2018, 08:45:04 AM »
Side and center stand hitting left mid pipe.
   Installed a ZX-14 side and fixed that.
   Will extend foot on the center stand to fit outside/below the mid pipe.

Mufflers too high, hitting bags.
Making a longer hanger to push them down a bit.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3017 on: May 18, 2018, 03:37:00 PM »
Sounds like you got it under control. Carbon fiber cans?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3018 on: May 18, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »
No, these are Muzzy aluminum mufflers.
I know that means they will be hotter.
So, working on an air gap.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #3019 on: May 31, 2018, 10:02:03 AM »
Finally installed the Bearinged up shifter from Murph's kits and WOWZER I don't feel like I'm breaking chocolate bars with my feet when I shift anymore... WHOOT
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~