Author Topic: New from Mississippi  (Read 2957 times)

Offline roy826

New from Mississippi
« on: July 12, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
Figured I'd join up here to. Owned a new to me 2012 Concours 14 now for 3 weeks.

This may or may not work, Photobucket sucks!

Bought it with a little over 5800 miles on it, new PR3s, Corbin seat I sold and a Cee Bailey screen I sold. Murphs bar risers I loaned to another C14 rider locally. I like it the way it is mostly stock. It did come with the Kawasaki 39L top case. Not a fan of top cases but I'll hang on to it. I added the Givi small tank bag on it.

I have one problem with it, valve cover is leaking oil on the left front corner. I didn't check that before buying, it was pouring rain at the time and just loaded it on s trailer and brought it home. I plan to tackle that repair later on. Hopefully during winter season if it'll hold out.
2012 Concours 14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: New from Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »
Welcome Roy! Nice looking bike! Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pic right out of the gate. Yes keep the top case. I felt exactly the same way. Don't much care for the look. But once I started using one when going anywhere (even the store for groceries) I find they are way too convenient not to use once you already have one.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:23:37 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
 Welcome to the forum Roy!
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:34:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Photobucket worked (so far for you) and the bike looks great. Congrats on the new ride and best of luck with it.

As far as the valve cover leak, it is a well known problem with a few different solutions. If the bike is still under warranty, a dealer will fix it free of charge.

Brian

Figured I'd join up here to. Owned a new to me 2012 Concours 14 now for 3 weeks.

This may or may not work, Photobucket sucks!

Bought it with a little over 5800 miles on it, new PR3s, Corbin seat I sold and a Cee Bailey screen I sold. Murphs bar risers I loaned to another C14 rider locally. I like it the way it is mostly stock. It did come with the Kawasaki 39L top case. Not a fan of top cases but I'll hang on to it. I added the Givi small tank bag on it.

I have one problem with it, valve cover is leaking oil on the left front corner. I didn't check that before buying, it was pouring rain at the time and just loaded it on s trailer and brought it home. I plan to tackle that repair later on. Hopefully during winter season if it'll hold out.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 03:17:46 PM »
Botophucket does suck, but Connies don't!
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline roy826

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Photobucket worked (so far for you) and the bike looks great. Congrats on the new ride and best of luck with it.

As far as the valve cover leak, it is a well known problem with a few different solutions. If the bike is still under warranty, a dealer will fix it free of charge.

Brian

As far as I know the bike is not under any kind of warranty. The orginal owner was very thorough in the sale and the bike was immaculate and I'm pretty certain he didn't have a clue it was leaking. Bike was dealer serviced according to the records he provided me. I only found the leak because I read it on the internet to look lol
2012 Concours 14

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:02:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the read.

Wishing you many safe miles on your Connie
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 03:24:51 PM »
Welcome. I kinda did the same thing you did, only two years ago. Bought a NOS 2012 in Sept. 2015. One mile on the clock.

Since your fluids are five years old now (most likely, with the low miles), you may want to change out coolant, brake, and clutch fluids. Probably at the same time that gasket is looked at, I'd wager.

Where are you in MS? I'm in the Delta - most boring terrain to ride in on the planet.  :o Even the Arkansas Delta is mo betta.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »
Well, that might be a left- handed benefit. If the dealer 'fixes' it, they just replace the seal and the actual problem lives on. If you or a non- dealer fixes it, you can really fix it.  There are several ways to address it, the one I prefer is to thoroughly clean the valve cover and seal, then place a bead of RTV sealent on the valve cover under the seal. Install the seal, but not all the way, before the RTV starts to cure, and let it cure while acting as a spacer to jack the seal up about 1/16" (1.5 mm for you metric types). This allows a bit of force on the seal against the engine's head after assembly, which is where and why the original leaks.

Brian

As far as I know the bike is not under any kind of warranty. The orginal owner was very thorough in the sale and the bike was immaculate and I'm pretty certain he didn't have a clue it was leaking. Bike was dealer serviced according to the records he provided me. I only found the leak because I read it on the internet to look lol
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline roy826

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 09:10:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

Yea I'm aware of the pitfalls of buying a rarely if ever used 5 year old motorcycle. But I also have been riding and wrenching on motorbikes better part of my 54 years on earth. It'll be ok this bikes a cream puff I knew it when it popped up on eBay that Sunday night. I had been looking for a C14 for two weeks prior and was all but giving up when this come up on of all places eBay which I hate!

I talked with a long time friend and life long motorcycle mechanic today about the leak. He told me to ride it, enjoy it, bring it to him when it reached the 15k first valve check and he'd take care of that, the valve check, plugs, coolant change and take care of me just like he did on my Super Tenere which was a pain in the ass to do a valve check on at 26k.

I've known this guy for 25 years, when he worked for a suzuki dealer in 97 he had to go through my then new GSXR750 because it had a defective #3 rod bearing. He's good, no bs with this guy this is all he knows is motorcycle repair. That 750 never was a problem after that with me or the 2 owners afterward.

He knows about the Concours valve cover leak, the exhaust cam oring issue and has done quite a few in his career. He is currently employed at a huge multi line dealership.  I trust his judgement on this. Like he told me a leak can be cleaned up and stopped in time but don't let that little seep keep you from enjoying the bike right now.
2012 Concours 14