Author Topic: Great tire deal.  (Read 2597 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Great tire deal.
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
Avon Storm 3D XM AV66 190/50 for $119 from Iron Pony Direct on Amazon. Great price on an excellent tire. I get about 6500 on these and they stick and handle great.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Justcliff

Re: Great tire deal.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 06:11:40 PM »
Thanks for the heads up lather. That's my tire of choice, been through a dozen sets of them. My mileage is close to yours + or -, all depending on if I'm traveling or riding local in Arkansas.

I was down to 1 set. Got some on the way, can never have to many on the shelf!

Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »
Hey Cliff, glad to pay ya back. You were the one to turn me on to this great tire!

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
Yes the 3D XM is a most excellent tyre, I’ve run Avon’s storms for best part of 10 years now on Pan Europeans and Blackbirds.

The GTR is running the Avon Spirits which are the latest replacement for the Storm so there should be some good deals as the Storm is now considered an entry level tyre by Avon
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:24:29 AM »
Hey Cliff, glad to pay ya back. You were the one to turn me on to this great tire!

Glad they worked for ya.  You must have seen my ramblings on the other site. I've refereed many people to these tires & seems that about 1/2 are hesitant of them simply because there Avon's.

The Spirit's should be a great tire if there an improvement over the XM's.  They should be unless they go backwards like the PR's did. Unlike most people I found the PR3's & 4's to be a down hill slide from the 2's. 
Cliff

IBA#66047

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »
Glad they worked for ya.  You must have seen my ramblings on the other site. I've refereed many people to these tires & seems that about 1/2 are hesitant of them simply because there Avon's.

The Spirit's should be a great tire if there an improvement over the XM's.  They should be unless they go backwards like the PR's did. Unlike most people I found the PR3's & 4's to be a down hill slide from the 2's.

So far the Spirits seem to be continuing Avons tradition of just getting better
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »
lather and you too Cliff... Thank You.. tire has been ordered. 
Avon Tyres AV5566 ST Storm 3D X-M Sport Tire - Rear - 190/50ZR-17  by Iron Pony Direct, LLC.
Estimated delivery: Jan. 24, 2018 - Jan. 26, 2018

That is the tire size I prefer and my pirelli diablo corsa rear tire is bald.

:hail: :banana :banana
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »

I was an Avon Storm fan way back in my Viffer days early 2000s until I got a couple bad ones . After that the PR1 was my tire of choice but as you say the PRs went backwards. I ALMOST bought a Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on my C14 this time. My Mutistrada came with them and after 7500 miles they look about only half done. They are marketed as an "dual sport"  tire but sure look and feel like a sport touring tire. I think I my try a set on the C14 next time and some true dual sport tires on the Ducati 

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 04:46:32 PM »
I was an Avon Storm fan way back in my Viffer days early 2000s until I got a couple bad ones . After that the PR1 was my tire of choice but as you say the PRs went backwards. I ALMOST bought a Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on my C14 this time. My Mutistrada came with them and after 7500 miles they look about only half done. They are marketed as an "dual sport"  tire but sure look and feel like a sport touring tire. I think I my try a set on the C14 next time and some true dual sport tires on the Ducati

And I thought I was the only one that thought the PR's went backwards.

I have the Mitas E07's on my V Strom. Work great & seem to last forever.
Cliff

IBA#66047

Offline mff

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 02:27:59 PM »
Rec'd my tire- has a date code  2813, if I am correct the tire is 4 1/2 yrs old- anyone have a problem using a tire that old?

Offline mff

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »
just received this (fast/excellent CS) message from seller:

"We store our tires in a temperature and humidity controlled warehouse, so you will have no problem running a tire with that date code. See below:

Per a large tire manufacturer: Up to five years after its production date, a correctly stored, unused tire can be sold and used unconditionally like a new tire."

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 05:23:29 PM »
I wouldn't be, but mine seldom last more than 3 months. I have 3 sets on hand, 1 set is less than a year old & the other 2 I believe are around 3 - 4 years old. They'll all be gone by fall so no concerns.

They're considered  safe up to 7 years. Sounds like yours properly stored!

Cliff

IBA#66047