Author Topic: Fuel injection retrofit  (Read 30545 times)

gpineau

Re: Fuel injection retrofit
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2018, 01:36:30 PM »
Finished the fuel line hook up and got the injectors securely mounted.  Put it to the test at 40 psi for 30 minutes, NO LEAKS. I am surprised.

high res photos https://fuelinjectorproject.shutterfly.com/pictures/91

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »
Looks good.

I have to go back to the regulator question though.
On the fuel systems we used for testing automotive fuels, the regulator was installed after the fuel rail.
This maintains the set pressure before the regulator and bypasses unused fuel back to the gas tank.
(This is the way fuel pressure was normally regulated on automobiles...)

Your system has the regulator before the fuel rail and your fuel is dead heading into your fuel rail.
I think this means, your set pressure is after the regulator.
 When your fuel pressure changes {because of changes in demand} the pressure will react slower and be less consistent.

NOTE: Be sure to buy a regulator that is specifically rated for gasoline..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I understand that the photo you show was for testing. Just wondering how you'll handle the actual fuel system.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:49:33 AM by connie_rider »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2018, 04:32:26 PM »
Whatever F.I. solvent (cleaner) I happen to have on hand. Mix it about 50/50 with gasoline and let it soak after several cycles and it will really loosen up all the deposits.

Mostly though I just send them out for cleaning / testing / refit (they can change the coils in them, or just replace a defective injector) as the price is very reasonable and the service has always been excellent. This is for gasoline injectors; for diesel injectors, I clean and re-seal the seats myself but still using any F.I. (gasoline) solvent mixed with gasoline.

Brian

B.D.F. Thanks for the info about back flushing. What sort of solvent do you use. I use  Berrymans B12 cleaner for just about everything.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

gpineau

« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »
This is going to be a challenge. I need to fit a battery, electronics, a gas tank and fuel pump in here..... Everything else is fitting nicely.

I think i will make a small tank not much bigger than the fuel pump. Run a gas line from the main tank down to a smaller on where the filter and stock fuel pump is now.

The manifold looks cool with  the acrylic ends so you can see right through it. It will be interesting to see what is happening inside with the motor running.... But it just occurred to me ...first time it backfires it's going to blow those two windows off...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:32:30 PM by gpineau »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2018, 07:08:57 AM »
Your doing great.
Not much room to work in!!

Ted

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »
"first time it backfires it's going to blow those two windows off"
Yes, but you get to go out with a blaze of glory!

Have you tested the abs and acrylic with "sealant" by soaking them in fuel for an extended time to see how it holds up?
If this puppy backfires and you have all this fuel soaked material....I do believe you are courting disaster.

:o

gpineau

« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2018, 11:28:20 AM »
Permatex Permashield is fuel resistant.  ABS is not resistant to gasoline however I have a chunk of it soaking in gasoline for two days and it is still holding up. According to literature I  can find it will eventually soften and become spongy.

But it really doesn't matter. This is a prototype. Everything you see it temporary and will be replaced with metal.

ABS is great for fast prototypes, It is easy to work with, forgiving of mistakes and cheap enough you can throw it away if your mistake is too big to fix. (I've done it twice already)

gpineau

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2018, 03:57:22 PM »
Ok. I'm giving in. I tested the ABS pipe material for 72 hours submerged in gasoline and found that it did (the surface) became soft enough that i can leave a mark with my fingernail. So heeding all the warnings I am converting it all over to steel. But I will not have the acrylic window into it like before. I am thinking of leaving a bolt in one end so I can put my bore camera inside if I want.

I am going to have to farm this one out. I suck at brazing. Especially on thin metal.

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2018, 06:58:20 AM »
You would be better off to use silver solder. Brazing will likely crack with the vibrations.

gpineau

« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2018, 11:20:33 AM »
You would be better off to use silver solder. Brazing will likely crack with the vibrations.
Ok, I'll try that. I should be able to solder it myself. Waiting on UPS to deliver the 1.5" steel pipe.

gpineau

« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2018, 03:31:56 PM »
I have the beginnings of the fuel pump and return tank.  I was going to use ABS but since my experiment I have decided to use steel.

I cut a propane tank down about 2 inches. fuel pump, filter fit inside nicely and it all will fit in the area where the old fuel filter was.

Been practicing with the silver solder....I need improvement. Wish me luck.

gpineau

« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2018, 08:03:31 PM »
Just pulled the original tank out of storage.  It is a mess. Rusted beyond belief.  I put 3 gallons of vinegar in it an will let it set for a week. Take it to the car wash and pressure wash the insides. I hope it is not too far gone. I just watched a few videos on youtube and I think i will buy a gallon of evaporust at harbor freight. If you can believe the videos it may clean it. Anyone with experience with this product? 

gpineau

« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2018, 05:21:36 PM »
Just finished the plenum for the 4th time. This one is all metal. Thanks for the tip on silver solder. I was able to do it myself.  The metal one is much harder to work with and does not forgive mistakes. It does not fit as well as the ABS version but the runners give it some flexibility.  This took the better part of a day. It is slightly smaller than the ABS one so I need to adjust the length of the runners to get it centered.

gpineau

« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2018, 10:35:05 AM »
Updated the high res photo albums.... https://fuelinjectorproject.shutterfly.com/pictures/99

Been experimenting with this for a while now. The complete history https://fuelinjectorproject.shutterfly.com/pictures

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »
Looking Good!!
No experience with the Harbor Freight remover.
Some have electroplated the inside of their tanks with a coating. (I think Zinc)
Haven't done so myself, but seems like a good idea and EZ to do..

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2018, 06:23:31 PM »
After a few days of soaking in vinegar I dumped it out into a bucket through a paint filter. Got about a quarter pound of rusty chunks. Though that would hav ecleaned it up but when I looked inside I cant see any improvement. So I put it all back in and wait another week.

Meanwhile today was my day off. So after i finished shutteling my wife around to her appointments I had a little time to finish up the plenum.  I got the injectors mounted and the fuel rail plumbing finished. It looks a lot better than the plastic prototype. I have one more part to solder in but i cant find one. I need a small vacuum port to run a line from the plenum back to the fuel regulator.  All I can find locally are made of plastic. I am afraid it will snap off first time it is bumped. Preferably brass or steel.  ANYONE???

The injectors a centered in the throat of the runners about 1.75 inches from the runner opening and about 5.5 inches from the stem of the intake valve.  I imagine there is going to be a good mixing of fuel an air in the 5 inches.  Wish I had a window in the end to put a camera to.

Oh BTW. The acrylic tube i was using in my injector tester jig. After a few uses it cracked in a dozen pieces and fell apart. So next time use glass, not plastic.
Thank goodness I was finished with my testing.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2018, 08:05:14 AM »
On your progress,  looks great!

While your soaking the tank, throw a handful of small nuts in,,,,,   and shake the "XXX" out of it.
Will help dislodge the corrosion.
NOTE: Count the nuts before and after..
Are you going to do a sealer coating inside the tank after you get it clean?

On the brass nipple, maybe a "Home Depot", but best to find an old style hardware store.
{In Houston we have "Ace Hardware"}. They carry items that the large places like Home Depot don't...
They will have metal fittings like you need.
My guess; Something like a 1/8" NPT x 1/8" (or 1/4") hose nipple?

After you get thru soldering, I suggest a leak check to ensure that all is sealed.
Plug everything with rubber plugs/etc and do a bubble test with low pressure air.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2018, 12:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I will find some loose hardware to throw in there.

I just finished up the plumbing on the fuel rails and injectors. Ran it at 40 psi for 15 minutes and NO LEAKS. Took the opportunity  to see what sort of patter will be hitting the back of the intake valves. I am very happy with this. It is spraying straight down the runner and the pattern looks nice to me. I am sure there will be much better atomization under vacuum.

Take a look..... Latest test https://youtu.be/pr5m2zO6zvc

Playlist I am compiling of the entire project. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9ZAieLe6zonSleaj5i7FP0fbTPn_Uqb9

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »
Good stuff!

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
you may want to pressure test the plenum to make sure that your solder joints are sealed properly. Ü