Author Topic: Any idea where these go?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline MCP

Any idea where these go?
« on: April 03, 2018, 08:00:31 PM »
Well, everything went well; flushed  the clutch/hydraulic lines and changed the coolant, but as I began putting the  plastic back on, I was left with these 2 screws. Now I remember taking them out, but I can't remember from where. I can't seem to find these on the panel schematics online, so here I am.

I'm thinking one (or more) will know.

I have 1 more unsolved question too, but I'll go one at a time.

Thanks in advance for taking the time.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Any idea where these go?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 11:22:43 PM »
Looks  like 08 glove box cover screws .
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:26:20 PM »
Off the top of my head there are 4 screws that look sorta like that (I remember them bigger) just in front of the radiator holding the inner plastic to the outer plastic, 2 on each side. However I can't think of why you would have removed those to do what you said you did. I'll have to think some more about it...... Did you remove the plastic entirely to get at the radiator cap or did you sort of partially remove it and flex it outward to get access? If the latter then my guess is the two inner panel screws on the right side just in front of the radiator.

SCREW,TAPPING,5X16 CA
Part number92172-0238

Center cowling ref#92172

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 04:02:39 AM »
Did you drop the "Belly" plastic? The parts that go under the bike. IIRC there are screws like the ones you posted that secure it to the bike and then the side panels will cover them after they (side panels) are installed.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 06:02:07 AM »
The screw I mentioned earlier is also used in several places for the front turn signal...did you do anything there while you had the plastic off?

Offline MCP

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 03:00:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

So, I did take all the plastic off to get at the rad cap, (wish I hadn't) and yes I left the 2 screws out on one of the front panels. Thank you fartmarty.

Since that is solved, my final question is what bolt goes here? The bolt that I thought went there is too short, its not grabbing, unless the rubber grommet has backed off?

Good thing I don't do this for a living.

Lastly, I'll pass this along in case it helps someone. I didn't want to take the coolant reservoir off to drain it out, or pull the lines; but I did have a turkey baster and tube which worked beautifully to suck the remaining coolant out and also was perfect to top up the rad when done.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
Check the other holes with similar bolt heads, including the top center cover, one of them is much longer and you didn't notice that when you were reassembling things. Guess how I know this  ::)  :-[.

Should be a 6mm X 30 mm bolt, the others are 6mm X 14 mm , I think there is only one that size (6X30) on the whole bike.

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 08:34:27 PM »
Here is a picture of the one on my 08

'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 09:18:02 AM »
Your wellnut has fallen into the frame. You'll have to get inside the airbox to retrieve it. Buy a couple extras now.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline MCP

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 05:00:54 PM »
I went over the bike and took all the other similar bolts out of the panels - all the same size so I will do a thorough look around the shop tomorrow. (7 in total - I am missing 1)

The well nut is there so that's not the issue.

Thanks for everyone's help.