Author Topic: Fairing Bolts  (Read 972 times)

Offline SmokinRZ

Fairing Bolts
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:35:37 PM »
Hello, I have a silly question.  I had my fairings off for servicing the air filter and coolant among other things on my new to me 2008.  They have been off for several weeks and everything went fine on reassembly until I noticed the shouldered bolt didn't fit in the top rear most hole on the right side by your knee.  The hole is above the battery door.  I even took the panel off to confirm it doesn't fit.  So now I'm scratching my head wondering if I got the bolts mixed up and the parts diagram isn't clear either.  It seems I recall the PO had a non-shouldered bolt in that location but that doesn't seem right.  Someone stored some extra bolts on the back sides of the fairings (tech probably forgot them during the valve service) and now I have these extras that adds to my confusion.  Does a shouldered bolt go in on the right side like on the matching location on the left? Maybe two different sized shouldered bolts?  Thanks             
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Fairing Bolts
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 11:05:07 PM »
I responded and then deleted my post as I had then noticed that your's was an '08 model, however I have since done a little research and found that the Gen I's like yours also use a longer bolt (one)  on the right side (6X30 mm) same as the Gen IIs do. So this other thread may be helpful (if I've understood your post correctly) even though the talk there is about Gen IIs.

Offline SmokinRZ

Re: Fairing Bolts
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 05:26:09 AM »
That's it!  Mystery solved.  Strange they didn't use the same shouldered bolt used on the other side.  Thanks Fartymarty.   
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS