Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 672476 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3080 on: April 23, 2018, 09:01:12 PM »
And I didn’t have enough info on the coffee shop incident to really refer to them as a-holes.  I should’ve looked into that more before spouting off.  I’ve looked into it further, and by all accounts, if accurate, point to gross racial bias.  I saw their interviews, and they seem like good people who were wronged.  But they also appear to have been more than ready to capitalize on the situation too.  It’s the skeptic in me that wonders if this wasn’t a premeditated event based on previous encounters at this store. 

And although we all have some degree of racial bias,

ALL people, regardless of color/race, probably have some degree of racial bias, and/or gender bias, and/or religion bias, and/or politics bias, and/or hair length bias, and/or language bias, etc.

I find that my dislike/distrust of the media makes me always doubt the truth and motivations in their storytelling. 

I totally relate.  I finally went ahead and researched it and believe what the manager did was distasteful, unnecessary, and really not professional.  The police did *absolutely* nothing wrong- they did their duty and did it properly.  Whether the manager was right or wrong, when asked to leave and they refused, the two non-customers became illegal trespassers.  They should have just left when asked, then called headquarters and started complaining and asking questions.

I still think the idea of closing every store in the U.S. for racial sensitivity training is a huge over-reaction on behalf of the company. 

The company's reaction was a huge over-reaction, so was the public's and the sensationalist media.  I also got that "spidey sense" about something not quite right about the whole thing.  Too many people out there are just itching to blow any little thing up to crazy proportions and make a show of it.... I think it often just makes things even worse.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3081 on: April 24, 2018, 05:52:06 AM »
ALL people, regardless of color/race, probably have some degree of racial bias, and/or gender bias, and/or religion bias, and/or politics bias, and/or hair length bias, and/or language bias, etc.

I totally relate.  I finally went ahead and researched it and believe what the manager did was distasteful, unnecessary, and really not professional.  The police did *absolutely* nothing wrong- they did their duty and did it properly.  Whether the manager was right or wrong, when asked to leave and they refused, the two non-customers became illegal trespassers.  They should have just left when asked, then called headquarters and started complaining and asking questions.

The company's reaction was a huge over-reaction, so was the public's and the sensationalist media.  I also got that "spidey sense" about something not quite right about the whole thing.  Too many people out there are just itching to blow any little thing up to crazy proportions and make a show of it.... I think it often just makes things even worse.

Once upon a time in a land far away an individual could make a personal decision on what they like, dislike or even chose to care about without being accused of a hate crime.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3082 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17:39 AM »
http://www.newsweek.com/nra-gun-control-parkland-shooting-898969?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=yahoo_news&utm_campaign=rss&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news

Well, the NRA received more donations in March 2018 than it has in any other month in the last 15 years. But that data is not inclusive because there are no records of any months previous so last month may have been the largest donation period inclusively. It is interesting, at least IMO, that most of the donations were from individuals and were less than $200 each; it would be most interesting to compare that data with the funding of the 'other side' where it seems that wealthy individuals, no doubt protected by armed bodyguards, fund their agendas with millions from individual contributors. It all makes one wonder which side is the <real> grass roots movement, no?

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #3083 on: April 24, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »
Once upon a time in a land far away an individual could make a personal decision on what they like, dislike or even chose to care about without being accused of a hate crime.

I know you care deeply about my edification, so which of your recent personal decisions about likes and dislikes led to accusations of hate crime? Enquiring minds want to know.  8)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3084 on: April 25, 2018, 08:08:15 AM »
I know you care deeply about my edification, so which of your recent personal decisions about likes and dislikes led to accusations of hate crime? Enquiring minds want to know.  8)
...and in said land a man was taught at an early age to not to concern himself with his neighbor's business unless it directly his personal right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. Unfortunately and obviously, and to the detriment of society, that lesson is no longer taught.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #3085 on: April 25, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »
...and in said land a man was taught at an early age to not to concern himself with his neighbor's business unless it directly his personal right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. Unfortunately and obviously, and to the detriment of society, that lesson is no longer taught.

Cutting through the verbiage, you're just telling me to disregard all vacuous statements and mind my own cotton pickin' bidness?  :finger_fing11:
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3086 on: April 25, 2018, 04:24:05 PM »
Cutting through the verbiage, you're just telling me to disregard all vacuous statements and mind my own cotton pickin' bidness?  :finger_fing11:

' vacuous' is such a subjective adjective that it is hardly applicable in this instance but the part about minding our own business is an idea we should all be able to get behind.  :chugbeer:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3087 on: April 25, 2018, 05:06:24 PM »
.... the part about minding our own business is an idea we should all be able to get behind.

Yes agreed, but it would be a lot easier mind one's own business if other people weren't putting their own business out all over the internet.

Cutting through the verbiage, you're just telling me to disregard all vacuous or not vacuous statements and mind my own cotton pickin' bidness?  :finger_fing11:
  Yeah, that was my take on it as well, but I've been wrong in the past.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #3088 on: April 25, 2018, 09:04:46 PM »
' vacuous' is such a subjective adjective that it is hardly applicable in this instance but the part about minding our own business is an idea we should all be able to get behind.  :chugbeer:

Sometimes even extremely vacuous statements have the potential to become profound, given the background story and relevant anecdotal evidence.
BTW, one cannot expect to tell a neighbor of the existence of a problem and then expect him or her not to inquire about it. Wouldn't be very neighborly of them now, would it?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3089 on: April 26, 2018, 06:40:02 AM »
Good fences make good neighbors.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #3090 on: April 26, 2018, 01:11:52 PM »
....as Rand Paul discovered, somewhat painfully.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3091 on: April 26, 2018, 02:32:06 PM »
....as Rand Paul discovered, somewhat painfully.

Just so.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #3092 on: April 28, 2018, 06:39:20 AM »
Just so.

So, this old-fashioned ass kicking endured by Rand P. was a hate crime or just a simple case of lawn rage?  ;D
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3093 on: April 28, 2018, 07:03:31 AM »
So, this old-fashioned ass kicking endured by Rand P. was a hate crime or just a simple case of lawn rage?  ;D

Not sure there is a difference.  Either way, he is a great man and it was a horrible crime that will hopefully land the assailant in jail for years.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #3094 on: April 28, 2018, 02:18:04 PM »
Not sure there is a difference.  Either way, he is a great man and it was a horrible crime that will hopefully land the assailant in jail for years.

Not just great, but the greatest. Off with the interloper's head!
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3095 on: May 02, 2018, 04:27:04 AM »
Guys, I haven't been monitoring this thread but let's keep it away from Politics, Weapons and such.  That wasn't the intent of this thread.  The other one (and you know which one) got moved to the Arena.  I would not be happy either moving, locking, or sanitizing this one.

Carry on.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3096 on: May 02, 2018, 05:39:48 AM »
And now for something entirely different...  I was catching up on some threads in the C10 area and I've found that Brian is now Jim.    This is excellent news as I can think of no better name than Jim.....well maybe VirginiaJim but hey, we can't all be from Virginia.  So to keep the confusion to a minimum, I've modified the name Jim for Brian to Jim Dandy as he is always coming to our rescue.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3097 on: May 02, 2018, 05:46:28 AM »
wow.. a Black Oak Arkansas fan .. 8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3098 on: May 02, 2018, 05:50:07 AM »
Yep.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3099 on: May 03, 2018, 04:01:00 AM »
Jim Dandy to the rescue!     :thumbs: :cool:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn