Author Topic: MRA X-Creen Touring Windshield   (Read 3773 times)

Offline KawaC14

MRA X-Creen Touring Windshield 
« on: May 04, 2018, 11:00:30 AM »
Anyone rocking the MRA X-Creen Touring Windshield ? I was thinking about trying one. Any input is much appreciated.
Being politically correct, isn't politically correct.

Offline Gscott

Re: MRA X-Creen Touring Windshield 
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 05:02:03 AM »
I have the short version of it with Madstad  brackets, what you want to know?

Offline KawaC14

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 06:38:35 AM »
Does it perform as advertised and do ya like it? 8)

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 07:01:56 AM »
I have had a MRA Vario for several years now. Works great even being smaller than the stock 08 shield. Lots of smooth clean air. Added the Madstad brackets last year & was amazed at how well they worked. Very quiet & lots of air. I did remove remove the brackets for winter, simply because of the amount of air flow.

Simply put, the MRA Vario & Madstad brackets are a outstanding combo!
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline KawaC14

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 08:08:35 AM »
Sounds good. When up, the back pressure on the stock screen kills me on long rides. I have had bugs actually smashed on the inside of it. I do a few IBA rides every year and I'm in the saddle up to 20 hours a shot. Thanks.

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 05:50:19 AM »
When up, the back pressure on the stock screen kills me on long rides. 

Back pressure is nonexistent.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline Gscott

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 06:09:09 AM »
Agree with Justcliff smooth air hits me just below the shoulders, have been playing with different angles. On center stand top all the way forward roughly 60 degrees raising the screen from fully down a LOT of forward push not good. Reduced angle to 53 degrees raised screen up about 2 inches wind noise decreases wind still hits me shoulder level, with wife on back raise the screen a little more she says wind noise decreases for her as well, no backpressure, smooth airflow , seems like airflow is from underneath the screen. Went out yesterday set screen at 48 degrees by myself not really any difference from 53 degrees. Bike is an 09.       

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 07:27:26 PM »
I like the MRA X-Creen windshield extension:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16222.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline KawaC14

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »
Well,  installed my new Xcreen and wow. What an improvement over the oem windshield. Works great, the high back pressure gone. I can adjust the various vent positionsand it looks great. I'm really happy with it. Thanks for for feedback.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 03:34:48 PM »
I am amazed at how much additional flexibility and control I get with that little MRA X-screen extension thing.  Takes quite a while to figure out what all the positions do and at what speed and with which base windscreen (the standard or cut-down) and with what base screen height is selected.  But it is worth the learning.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »
FIFY  :-)

Brian

I am amazed at how much additional flexibility and control I get with that little MRA X-screen extension thing.  Takes quite a while to figure out what all the positions do and at what speed (Easy Boys!) and with which base windscreen (the standard or cut-down) and with what base screen height is selected.  But it is worth the learning.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 03:56:51 PM »
 ::)

Offline Snype

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 03:38:12 PM »
I always thought that back-pressure was intended.  When I ride in the rain, the  back-pressure sucks the water off of my visor.  I had a BMW that didn't have that pressure and I found it almost impossible to ride in the rain.

Snype

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 03:57:37 PM »
I always thought that back-pressure was intended.  When I ride in the rain, the  back-pressure sucks the water off of my visor.  I had a BMW that didn't have that pressure and I found it almost impossible to ride in the rain.

Generally, back-pressure is not desired for any purpose (in this context).  If I understand correctly, it is an indication that airflow is not optimal- some of it is curling back behind the rider and pushing forward, rather than flowing smoothly around, behind, and away.  It is a type of turbulence that is not only annoying to the rider, but also destroys aerodynamics (leading to poorer performance, poor mileage, buffeting, fatigue, and limiting top speed).

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »
  When I ride in the rain, the  back-pressure sucks the water off of my visor.  I had a BMW that didn't have that pressure and I found it almost impossible to ride in the rain.

(EZgirls) One mans' motorcyclist's blowing is another mans' sucking I guess. I always thought it was the wind blowing on my visor that cleared off the rain.

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 12:01:43 PM »
Generally, back-pressure is not desired for any purpose (in this context).  If I understand correctly, it is an indication that airflow is not optimal- some of it is curling back behind the rider and pushing forward, rather than flowing smoothly around, behind, and away.  It is a type of turbulence that is not only annoying to the rider, but also destroys aerodynamics (leading to poorer performance, poor mileage, buffeting, fatigue, and limiting top speed).

Agreed. I found the back pressure with the stock 2009 windshield to be very fatiguing. It went away with the CalSci windshield. Back pressure is definitely something you do not want on a motorcycle.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 12:51:37 PM »
Agreed. I found the back pressure with the stock 2009 windshield to be very fatiguing. It went away with the CalSci windshield. Back pressure is definitely something you do not want on a motorcycle.

The only time I have back pressure is when the regular windscreen is all the way down (stock 2nd gen).  And it can be pretty severe- my jacket actually squeezes me... the sucker is glued to my back and pressing me forward.  Interestingly, if I raise it just an inch, poof, the pressure is gone and the jacket relaxes.  Raising the screen a little seems to let just enough air in under the screen to change everything for some reason.  I don't understand how, but I am just glad it works.

I don't have the problem at all in the summer, because I switch to the cut-down windscreen and there is just air all over.

Offline KawaC14

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 08:47:44 PM »
(EZgirls) One mans' motorcyclist's blowing is another mans' sucking I guess. I always thought it was the wind blowing on my visor that cleared off the rain.

Offline KawaC14

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 08:51:48 PM »
EZgirls) One mans' motorcyclist's blowing is another mans' sucking I guess. I always thought it was the wind blowing on my visor that cleared off the rain.

That's funny  8)