Author Topic: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.  (Read 156256 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.

So how many folks here have had the low fuel warning surprise them? OK, put down your hands. Now, how many here have been so surprised by the warning that he / she got into a vehicular accident over it? OK, put down your hand. And that concludes the humor portion of our post.

I have conjured up a plug 'n play device that fits a C-14 and eliminates the low fuel warning. The fuel gauge works as it always did other but the low fuel warning is suppressed. But the really nice feature of this device, at least to me, is that the range indicator will continue to work as the fuel level drops. No more "Low Fuel" displayed on the Range page at the very moment it is most useful- after all, who really cares if there is 175 or 190 miles left in the tank? But the difference between 12 miles and -3 miles is pretty important. Please do bear in mind though that the range indicator is a calculated product rather than an exact amount or to put it literally, your mileage may vary from the display, especially at extremely low numbers. I have successfully used the range indicator down to 7 miles remaining at which point the bike was still running but the <nominal> 5.8 gallon fuel tank took 6.04 gallons.

Now for the very best part of this seemingly magical device- it is a no tools, no disassembly / reassembly required install! Yep, you can literally install it in a couple of minutes with no tools, no wiring and no permanent modification to your bike! Fully removable too so the bike can be returned to stock at any time (but let's face it, who would want to remove such a wonderful thing?).

Now I know what a lot of you are thinking- how could anyone put a price on such a marvelous piece of technology? How could it be made available to mere mortals and be able to be enjoyed by thousands, nay, millions of C-14 owners? Well great news- we have worked late into the mid- morning and established an economic cost for such an invaluable product! And remember, nothing but the best components used- OEM or better (better wire): at the moment is $50 and includes shipping in the CONUS. Shipping elsewhere and / or insurance added at actual USPS cost.

The circuit is installed in the wiring just under the saddle.

This is a photo of the device- actually two devices but you will receive only one, most likely either the one in the upper or lower part of the photo.

This is a completely vegan product and no animals were harmed during the construction of this device.

E-mail me if you have any questions or would like to discuss this device further; my e-mail is just under my name on this page.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
I'm in!  Describes me to a T in the first paragraph it does.  Now can you get rid of the low battery TPMS message?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Can you splain the theory behind this magical concept?   
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
For $50 he can... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
I'm in!  Describes me to a T in the first paragraph it does.  Now can you get rid of the low battery TPMS message?

I think you know how to cure that ailment.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

I think you know how to cure that ailment.  ;)

Yeah, I do.  I just replaced the rear wheel battery.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
Yeah, I do.  I just replaced the rear wheel battery.

Mine is finally dead, and I am now waiting on the front to follow soon. STUPID THINGS!!!!!  >:(
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
You're so Pokey...  :rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

Yep.

The circuit interrupts the original pulse from the bike itself and sends the "not empty" signal to the LCD display instead. The bike simply responds as it always does to the 'fake out' signal. The circuit is inserted into the harness on the bike using OEM connectors and is otherwise transparent to the bike (electrically speaking). I had originally designed a second signaling device for the rider but you don't even want to know what the cost of that was turning into. So this is the best compromise I could come up with, which is suppressing the real signal from the bike altogether. The fuel gauge still works as before other than the last bar will not flash when the 'low fuel' condition is reached because the bike is blissfully unaware that that has happened. 

I have been using one on my own bike since last summer successfully and do not miss that low fuel signal one bit. Of course I must caution anyone thinking about this that it puts the responsibility onto the rider and the bike will merrily run out of fuel without ever signaling the low fuel warning. You have the fuel gauge, a trip meter if you choose, and the range function which will now work down to somewhere near the end of the fuel's range (I would not go less than 10 miles remaining personally unless the bear was still chasing me) but if you are the forgetful type and occasionally use the warning as a memory jog this circuit is probably not for you.

Well, that and of course the low fuel warning incantation which is included in the installation instructions. :-)

Brian

Can you splain the theory behind this magical concept?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
You're so Pokey...  :rotflmao:

Come to my Laborday rally and I will show ya how pokey I am not.  ;)   Sorry for crapping on BDF's post, so sorry sir.  :-[
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline B.D.F.

Yeah, cut it out! I've never de-railed anyone else's thread! Never, not once!

KiPass rocks. Opps, first time ever. ;D

Brian

Come to my Laborday rally and I will show ya how pokey I am not.  ;)   Sorry for crapping on BDF's post, so sorry sir.  :-[

Offline Slideways

Preachin' to the choir, I am so in.

We now interrupt this thread to discuss oil....  ;)
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
IN

Just because BDF is a mastermind like this  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
BDF will these work on the ZX14s as well?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

Preachin' to the choir, I am so in.

We now interrupt this thread to discuss oil....  ;)
Boiled linseed oil for Ambrosia Burlwood?

Offline PH14

Great work Brian. Now, how about a newer improved model with a switch that allows the low fuel warning, then allows that to be switched off by hitting a button.  :)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Great work Brian. Now, how about a newer improved model with a switch that allows the low fuel warning, then allows that to be switched off by hitting a button.  :)

OOOOHHH what he said...I like it.  :thumbs:

Brian, I think you could sell a lot more of these! (Charge more too!  :D )

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver

Good question but not sure that is possible.  Will the bike revert to a normal condition if the "low fuel" alert line is removed AFTER is has signaled low fuel?  Sounds like it might be the best of both worlds.

Although I like the idea a lot, I am not sure I want to COMPLETELY lose the low fuel warning.  What I hate about the warning is that it is too difficult to remove while riding (having to press two buttons in perfect sequence ON THE DASH while MOVING is not easy nor safe- yet I do it every time).  And of course, that it then stops the ability to use the miles remaining.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
I'll take one Brian. I hate that I lose the display functionality because of low fuel. Are we doing Paypal to your email on here or are ordering instructions forthcoming?

Offline firehawk618

:-X
2012 C14 Black