Author Topic: I need a new windshield, but which one?  (Read 9148 times)

YoDoc

I need a new windshield, but which one?
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:02:08 PM »
I bought a 2003, and it has a Cee Bailey on it. I know these are nice, but my fricken head takes a pounding at speed, man. The lip comes up to about my mouth, as I ride very upright, and do not like looking through a windshield. It this thing too tall or too short? Or is it the lip that makes it awful? I don't mind wind, I used to ride a naked Sportster. The thing I don't like is my head getting tossed around and that makes me feel like the bike is unstable.

Offline vard

Re: I need a new windshield, but which one?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:59:02 AM »
What size windshield do you have?  I just bought a 25.5" Cee Bailey that comes to my upper lip - I have risers on the bars.  I look over the windshield but there is still a lot of windshield to look through.  On my first ride I found no buffeting at all.  My previous windshield was stock and much shorter and there was a lot of buffeting.  Don't know why you are having problems - though maybe the difference is what you and I mean by "at speed".

YoDoc

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
By "at speed" I mean 70-90 mph, which is what traffic runs on the freeways here. I think it's the 25.5, but I don't know for sure, because I didn't buy it. Maybe it's just something I'm not use to, as this is my first sport bike.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
I would get a taller one so that you are looking through the flat part at the top.  I think that's what the cee bailey is designed for.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »
I look over my Cee Baily and love it.  I probably ordered it too short.  See if you can get a stock shield to try.  That lip really send the air up and over.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

YoDoc

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »
Maybe it's not the windshield... I rode bare dome today (stupid, but I just quit smoking, one thing at a time, yeah?) and the buffeting wasn't nearly as bad. Maybe it's the smaller head surface area, maybe it's just my helmet, what with the stupid vents everywhere to catch air...

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 07:56:44 PM »
Maybe it's not the windshield... I rode bare dome today (stupid, but I just quit smoking, one thing at a time, yeah?) and the buffeting wasn't nearly as bad. Maybe it's the smaller head surface area, maybe it's just my helmet, what with the stupid vents everywhere to catch air...

What type of helmet were you wearing when the buffeting was at its worst?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »
Are you sure that it is a Cee Bailey and not a stocker? Both have a flip at the top but the stocker is more pronounced and caused a lot of disturbance to the air around the head/helmet. The proper height of a shield should be from 1 to 3 inches below your line of sight while riding down the road normally depending on preference.
Tony P. Crochet

YoDoc

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:40:12 PM »
It says Cee Bailey on it, and has that odd vent in it. However, while riding today, I did also notice that the vent is lopsided? Not much, and surely that's not why my bike feels unstable?

YoDoc

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 08:41:15 PM »
Also, it's an HJC. I'm not sure about the model. It's covered in vents and shiny graphics...

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:43:52 PM »
Also, it's an HJC. I'm not sure about the model. It's covered in vents and shiny graphics...

Full Face, 3/4, 1/2 Helmet?
Tony P. Crochet

YoDoc

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 08:50:23 PM »
Oh... I'm dumb. Full face. Shield all the way down.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 08:51:14 PM »
It says Cee Bailey on it, and has that odd vent in it. However, while riding today, I did also notice that the vent is lopsided? Not much, and surely that's not why my bike feels unstable?

Sounds like a CB sometimes their vents are not quite perfect but that does not cause any issues. If this is your first fully faired bile you have to become accustomed to the new dynamics of it. Also you need to check and correct the tire pressures according to the manual. What kind of tires? Worn or incorrect tires do suck.... Same goes for getting the suspension setting dialed in. What about the black foot scoops which way are they pointed they too cause the bike to act squirrelly. Are you dealing with just head buffeting or is the bike generally not stable on the road? Big trucks can make the bike dance in their dirty air especially if any of the above are out of sorts.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »
Oh... I'm dumb. Full face. Shield all the way down.

Try shield up.... Mine is calmer with shield open to partially closed.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 09:05:39 PM »
Can you measure it from the bottom to the top?
Sounds like its just a hair too short for you.
How tall are you and how big is the shield?  CBs site has some basic ideas for shield height...

I had a similar issue on one of my old bikes.  Took the next size larger shield to fix it.  Was nice and calm with no helmet, helmet on and I got a lot of turbulence catching the top of it. 
Say what?

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
Try shield up.... Mine is calmer with shield open to partially closed.

I have found the same thing to be true.  Helmets and windshields interact a lot.  I have a Shoei RF1000 and I put on a Rifle 'shield shortly after I bought the Connie.  I trimmed it several times to get the height right for me.  I'm 6'1" and I like to look over the top of the 'shield rather than through it.  There is a noticeable difference in noise and turbulence depending on the helmet face shield position.  Closed is noisy, reverberant and a little turbulent, open is smooooooth and quiet.  I ALWAYS wear ear plugs and impact resistant eye shields.  When cutting the Rifle 'shield I also trimmed off the top corners quite a bit mostly for looks, but I am convinced that it helps smooth the airflow around the upper edges.  I recut the old Connie 'shield to fit onto the Wee-Strom and took about 2 inches of the upper lip off and it is now very smooth on that bike and works great.  I'm of the opinioin that the top lip is a large contributor to the turbulence issue, if your head is in the "burble" area.  Pics of both installations below for your perusal:

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

YoDoc

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 10:08:58 PM »
This is my first bike with anything but my ego in front of the handlebars. The tires are not the original tires, but they are OEM spec Dunlops. The tire pressure seems fine, and the foot scoops (which I hate) are faced forward. I may just take them off. The turbulence does seem to just me the top of my head, but the whole bike still seems squirrley. I really need to get it out of town to see if anything changes. I don't know how many of you have ridden through Dallas-Fort Worth area, but I have never seen more consistently, god-awful, crap-tastic roads anywhere in my life, and I've been to Iraq twice, LOL.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 10:50:55 PM »
This is my first bike with anything but my ego in front of the handlebars. The tires are not the original tires, but they are OEM spec Dunlops. The tire pressure seems fine, and the foot scoops (which I hate) are faced forward. I may just take them off. The turbulence does seem to just me the top of my head, but the whole bike still seems squirrelly. I really need to get it out of town to see if anything changes. I don't know how many of you have ridden through Dallas-Fort Worth area, but I have never seen more consistently, god-awful, crap-tastic roads anywhere in my life, and I've been to Iraq twice, LOL.
Don't think you've been to Pennsylvania yet... The only thing worse are the railroad tracks.. Now about those Dunflops, I was going to wait until I wore-out the last set
on my C-10, and I had purchased a pair of the last of the Pilot GT's. But the damn dancing from the Dunflops wore my patience too thin, so I finally changed them. Night(mare) to daylight!! I am FIRMLY planted, and solid confidence in Connie has been granted to me! I trust you will find a much better tire that will give you a much better ride than
you have. Oh, and WELCOME!!
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

YoDoc

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 12:31:28 AM »
Well, then, new tires it is! I had heard that the OEM's were awful, but I didn't think they were THAT awful. And about bad roads, I have a buddy in south Louisiana who rides a 2011 Triumph Speed Triple. The roads down there are so bad, (and this is his first bike) that it knocked his kickstand down! 40 mph and suddenly scraping noises and the engine cuts out! You know the road is bad when it can actually turn off your bike... LOL.

Offline Ranger

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 09:39:12 AM »
My 2 cents. You say you don't mind wind, so based on that I would cut the windshield down until your face is fully in the slip stream thus unaffected by the buffeting. There is no perfect world here. It's all a trade off. For no wind bliss you are going to be looking through the windshield. Other than that, you are going to be getting "some" buffeting or full wind. As for the bike wobble, If you are out there amongst traffic and dirty air you are going to get more unstable wobble although not bad at all in "clean" air. Funny thing is for me, when I recently put on new "Avon" tires my unstable/wobble in dirty air became much more pronounced in dirty air than when I had the well worn original Dunlops on. The Avons I got are simply wonderful in the turns but much more unstable going down the slab. :o Maybe after I wear them in a bit that will change. If it doesn't, I will probably try something different next go round.
2002 Connie with Givi trunk, Avon tires,  7th gear mod, Heli bars, Throttlemeister, Rifle windscreen, and other junk. Love to pack up and hit the road. Thank goodness I'm recent retiree. :-)