Author Topic: hydration ready tank bag  (Read 10426 times)

Offline Texanrider

• There's no excuse for what I am about to do...
hydration ready tank bag
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:34:45 PM »
does anyone have one of these? if so, which one and what are your thoughts. I'll be going on a ride through most of Texas in July (prime time for heat) and I was wondering about getting one.

Thanks
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Bob

Re: hydration ready tank bag
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:15:01 AM »
I didn't know they made them. Did you have a link to one in mind for us?

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:45:54 AM »
I have this tank bag and it comes with a pouch you put the water bladder in:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/luggage/tank_bags/moto_centric/mototrek_19_magnetic_tank_bag.html

You have to supply your own water bladder, but I got mine from Wally World.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline mlf73

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:04:09 AM »
I've found that nothing stays very cool for very long sitting on top of the tank.  It just gets so hot up there in the spring/summer when it's hot out already.  I'm planning to try a hydration bladder behind me next time....maybe tucked in a duffel on the passenger seat just to try to keep it as far away from the engine heat as possible.  Sucking hot water sux!
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline ddavid

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:59:15 AM »
Last summer rode with a guy who wore a camelback under his jacket. He said ice and water would stay cool for two hours and cool his back too.

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:04:40 AM »
I picked up a hydrating tank bag at Iron Pony.  I'm a big fan of it, but as another poster said, don't waste money on the motorcycle specific bladder, get one at WalMart.   

Yeah the water doesn't stay cold for too long (I load it up with a bunch of ice cubes) and cleaning the thing is kind of a pain, but I'm still very happy to have it on board.   I've poured bottles of water in it from a gas station so I can get rolling quicker.   

Offline Texanrider

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 09:09:57 AM »
I was looking at this bag. There is a video of it on youtube and you can carry a lot of stuff, plus a water bladder. I already have one for my camelback but I hate wearing anything on my back while riding.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/3414/ITEM/Rapid-Transit-Recon-19-Magnetic-Tank-Bag.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 10:17:08 AM »
I just got my bag for motorcycle tore also but I elected for one not pack specified. Ended up with this one http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/2521/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Contour-Tank-Bag.aspx.  which is large enough to pack a hydro pack.  I think FOR ME the only reason I don't use a pack yet, is because when I think its time for me to get a drink in the heat, it's time for me to get off the bike and stretch my legs too and a potty brake.  In the heat I usually un arse the bike once every 60-90 min.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Texanrider

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »
Ron,

I agree. When I'm riding solo and I feel like I want to drink some water, go potty, smoke a cig, or even stretch my legs...I'll stop whenever. But I don't want to be "that guy" during a long distance group ride this summer. Hence the need to have a hydration pack. But I do agree with your riding habits and stop times.
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
I got ya' Tex  ;)

I have not ridden in a group yet, but I see your point

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 10:53:44 AM »
I've found that nothing stays very cool for very long sitting on top of the tank.  It just gets so hot up there in the spring/summer when it's hot out already.  I'm planning to try a hydration bladder behind me next time....maybe tucked in a duffel on the passenger seat just to try to keep it as far away from the engine heat as possible.  Sucking hot water sux!
Drinking hot water does sux. I use a camel pack and love it.  I keep it under my jacket and the ice does stay in there all day.  It also keeps me cool.  One thing to remember with any hydration unit is to blow the water back into the tube after each drink.  The second drink will be very warm if you dont do this :P :P
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline toojeep4u

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 10:57:07 AM »
What kind of fitting do you guys have at your mouth?  Is it a 90° valve?  If so where did you find one?
Tori '01

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »
I have one camelback bladder with a valve in the line and one without.  They just have a thing on the end you bite and then suck on.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Texanrider

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 10:42:21 PM »
Well I bit the bullet and bought the bag that I posted a link for above. Should be here in a couple of days. I'll snap some pics with it on the bike.
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 12:17:06 PM »
This is where packing for multitasking helps out. I use my insulated jacket liner to wrap up the bladder full of ice water, it generally stays at least cool all day. The liner also functions as a pillow, and of course a jacket liner. One item, three uses. Helps make room for the fold up lawn chair and beer cooler that I carry.
 :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »
When I did my SaddleSore 1000 last year I used my Camelbak Chaos (bought for bicycle riding) to give me hydration. It worked great. What I did was fill up the bladder the night before and put it in the freezer and froze it. I didn't need to drink from it for awhile and once I started it had begun to thaw out. I had cool water most of the day. The pack itself has a bit of insulation so that helped.

Offline blade

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 03:07:22 PM »
I have had a camel back for a few years but with a 62-64 chest I have never been able to wear it. However I found that it fit nicely between the my Nelson Riggs tank bag and the magnetic pad. I would just put the shoulder straps outside the zips that attach the pad to the bag and everything stays in place. I have used it behind me as well but unless I mount the hydropak on top of something I find the hose too short for comfort.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »
I just got my bag for motorcycle tore also but I elected for one not pack specified. Ended up with this one http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/2521/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Contour-Tank-Bag.aspx.  which is large enough to pack a hydro pack.  I think FOR ME the only reason I don't use a pack yet, is because when I think its time for me to get a drink in the heat, it's time for me to get off the bike and stretch my legs too and a potty brake.  In the heat I usually un arse the bike once every 60-90 min.

Cheers
Ron

Well I think I'm going to recant this observation.  This past Sunday it was 91+ degrees here in Raleigh NC with the hi humidity of course.   My girlfriend and I went two up for a nice ride and although we kept hydrated at stops we both wish we could take a sip of water before we had to get off.  We found out we just needed to drink a lot more but wasn't really ready for the rest stop. Soooooooo I guess I'll be looking for a camel pack or sought for us.  We'll need it for sure when we hit the BRP the first weekend in June.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline Texanrider

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 09:17:05 PM »
Mayhem,

I just got my bag last friday. Havent taken it out on a ride yet but I can't wait to try it out. Texas heat is crazy. Saturday we had 93 degrees with 75% humidity so you can imagine how much water you NEED to drink in order to ride comfortably and avoid heat stroke. Anyways, I went out to take some pictures for you. Here they are. I already had a bladder for a hydration back pack that I've had for about 2 years from wal mart. works great and the bladder itself is cheaper than the one recon sells.

In the last picture I have a half helmet. It does close a little tight but at least it gives you an idea of the storage capacity available. Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, the magnets are pretty powerful as well. It does come with a built in rain cover which hides away easily in a hidden zipper pocket in the front. Very nice bag IMHO for a good price.
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 09:22:45 PM »
The one I bought at the Iron Pony looks almost exactly like that one.  Just a different brand.  I really like it.