Author Topic: A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...  (Read 39002 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2017, 10:08:36 AM »
Are you sure it was a puncture and not too much Dunkin that caused the tire to be a little flat?  ;D

TPMS to the rescue.   Pulled out the other day on my semi regular trip to Dunkin and noticed the pressure in the rear tire was lower than normal.   Bike thought so too and issued a warning light.  Came back afterwards and found a nail in the center of the rear tire.  Pulled it out and plugged it.  Will keep an eye on it, nevertheless. 

It's difficult to check air pressures on this bike due to the fenders and no center stand.  I always watch them when starting out to get a feel of anything going wrong.

That's the first time in nearly 25 years I've got a puncture on a bike.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »
That's the first time in nearly 25 years I've got a puncture on a bike.

25 years??  That’s amazing.  I would get nails/screws/staples in my rear tire at least once a month when I was working the road.  Always kept plugs on hand and used them. 

Of course, by the nature of the job, I did a LOT of riding on the shoulders and center dividers...

2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
What's strange is that I normally ride in the leftmost third of the lane.   I changed that here recently to ride more in the right third instead.   Going back to my wicked ways..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »
Did a short ride to the Dunkin Donuts and back.  I didn't die from a plugged rear tire.  I will say this, though.  I bought a slime kit with the sticky strings.  Those strings are way tooooooooooo big.  You need them half the size/width.  The only thing they would work with would be a railroad spike.  Don't waste your money on that although the raspy thingy works pretty well and I guess you can use the glue with it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2017, 10:03:45 PM »
The rear tire?  :o That's where you git most* of yer braking!

* OK, more than most of the rest of us  :P

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2017, 08:23:58 AM »
True dat and way way more than what the C14 has.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2017, 07:27:34 AM »
Well I found something on the Indian that scared the crap out of me the other night.   I don't ride much at nights so I haven't encountered the **** poor headlight.  It's so bad, that when cornering at low speeds (45 or so), I couldn't see shi*!  Had to guess where the road might be.  Thank goodness for white lines.  Straight line is barely tolerable I found out.  So I'm going to have to play with the adjustment as I did with the C14.  If that doesn't work then it's this:

https://www.customdynamics.com/indian-fairing-trubeam?cat=

and this:

https://www.customdynamics.com/hi-lo-halo-led-headlamp-adapter-for-trubeam-7?cat=40

I may just do it anyway.   One would think on a bike like this the lighting would not be an issue.   I was literally scared to death coming home the other night.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2017, 07:37:06 AM »
Went to the Indian Demo Days at our dealer in Fredericksburg this past Friday.   Really went for the free food, though.  Item of interest is that there was one 08 bike parked there.  Never did find out who that rider was but there was another I was speaking to that had an 08 as well.  Is the Dark Side winning?  Only the Shadow knows for sure.

Just saw your post- That was me. I hit all the demo days. The Chieftain is on my short list. Unfortunately, the only Chieftain they had that day had the ape hangers. I rode it anyway, but I didn't like that at all. Still waiting to see if Indian comes out with the Flat Track replica. That would be a MUST have!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2018, 04:26:11 PM »
I guess we'll have to see about that one.  Fingers crossed but I'm happy with my Roadmaster.  Did 370 miles last Saturday on it...pain free.  Got my first recall.  Connector for the top case can get wet and cause the brake lights not to work.  Taking it in sometime to get that fixed.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2018, 09:17:58 AM »
Owner update after a year of ownership.

I still love the bike and am not regretting buying it.   Had plenty of power and does all I need of it.  Can pass anyone I want and it stops on a dime.  Love the cruise control.  Love the way it turns heads.

Aggravation points...

Maintenance...lack of a center stand is a PITA.  Gonna have to buy a jack to put it up in the air.
Adding air to the tires is a pain with all the fenders and such in the way.  Finally put a touch of paint on the tire where the air valve is located so I don't have to bend down so much.
Headlights suck.   They look marvelous in the daytime but really fall down at night if you have to corner.
Rear tire attracts nails
Really get's hot in stop and go, worse than the C14 as far as I'm concerned.  As long as the bike is moving it's fine.  Stopped, not so much.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2018, 09:17:45 AM »
Well, I've finally succumbed to the Dark Side.  I was out on the Indian the other day on a run to Dunkin and realized that I like the loud pipes, I like the throbbing engine, I like the gurgle and pop back under deceleration, I love the ergonomics, and everything else with the bike.  Sold the C14 to a good friend and I'll be seeing it on a regular basis.  Not to worry about dressing up like a pirate but I am wearing chaps (assless of course) and leather clothing.  I also love the amount of accessories available for these bikes.  It's nearly overwhelming considering what we had/have for the C14.  I'm not going anywhere and still hanging out here.  Where else do I have a captive audience that I can torture or lop off heads?

By the way, some of you complain of heat with the C14.  C14 got nothing compared to the heat output of this bike.  In fact, I think that it is one of the foremost contributors of global warming on the planet.  Like the C14, it's hot in the summer and cool in the colder months.  Have to get a higher capacity battery for it as it does not like cold temps at all...well neither do I but I still ride year round especially with Dunkin just down the road.

The people are the same as us that ride Indians.  All good, all willing to help another rider.  Our Indian group chapter here sponsors a children's charity organization and I think all of the riding chapters sponsor some sort of charity or cause.

Anyway, just wanted to give you an update on my status and hope all of ya'll have a very merry Christmas!

Just saw your post- That was me. I hit all the demo days. The Chieftain is on my short list. Unfortunately, the only Chieftain they had that day had the ape hangers. I rode it anyway, but I didn't like that at all. Still waiting to see if Indian comes out with the Flat Track replica. That would be a MUST have!

It will be out this coming Feb I think. I love it.  Dealer in Fredericksburg says he has 7 sold already before it even hits the showroom.

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/motorcycles/

Offline Freddy

« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2018, 05:24:15 PM »
 :chugbeer:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
..... I like the loud pipes, I like the throbbing engine, I like the gurgle and pop back under deceleration............ I am wearing chaps (assless of course) and leather clothing.
:pukeface: :loco: :nuts: :doh: :censored: :battle: :banghead:

The people are the same as us that ride Indians.
  Ahhhhh...NO. I respectfully disagree. Much different sense of ...style? Different sense of something for sure.  ???

All good, all willing to help another rider. 
Probably true for 99%   :thumbs:

Anyway, just wanted to give you an update on my status and hope all of ya'll have a very merry Christmas!

Backatcha V'Jim!  :chugbeer:   ...and may you come back to your former mental acuity and good sense in the Happy New Year!  ;) ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2019, 06:41:16 AM »
Update:  Bike is in the shop to get the squeal taken out.  This has been going on for a year or so on and off.  Worse in the colder temps.  Have had the belt adjusted several times by a tech that knows what he's doing but it still comes back.  Bout ready to push it off a cliff and told him so.  I said it can't be an adjustment it's got to be something else.  Well, they called yesterday and said it appears to be a bearing in a pulley (not sure which one yet) so they're ordering another pulley.  Also said might as well change the belt as it's due at 30k.  I'll probably wind up paying for the belt but not the other stuff as I was smart enough to get an extended warranty.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Still love this bike even with the embarrassing squeal.  Can't sneak out through the neighborhood with that going on.  Anyway once that get's sorted this is what's on the agenda for next year.  Gutting the cat (sorry Max) to minimize the heat on the right leg.  Just too freakin hot.  Upgrade the headlights so that I can see in the dark rounding corners.  Most god awful LED lighting I've ever seen.  Possibly update the rear lighting with an Admore system.  That's probably all I can afford.

That should be it besides the normal maintenance.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2019, 06:59:59 AM »
Have you had a chance to check out the new Challenger yet? Should be showing up in local dealerships soon if it is not already there.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2019, 07:08:07 AM »
Haven't seen one in person yet.  Reviews appear to be favorable however.  Personally I'm sold on the power plant but not so much on the looks.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2019, 10:12:55 AM »
Have you had a chance to check out the new Challenger yet? Should be showing up in local dealerships soon if it is not already there.

Kinda funny that:
Quote from: Indian Website
"CARVE CORNERS. ALL OF THEM.

Inverted front suspension, lightweight cast-aluminum frame, and hydraulically adjustable Fox® rear shock deliver curve-hugging handling and unyielding stability.

Yep, it hugs the curves on both sides of the center line. I guess that's what they mean by "all of them;D

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »
Maybe that was an ad for the foreign markets.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2019, 02:30:31 PM »
Isn't that Jax from SOA?

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2019, 03:14:38 PM »
Gutting the cat (sorry Max) to minimize the heat on the right leg.  Just too freakin hot.

Don't matter none to me.  My posts were about the C14- saying that OUR cat is not restrictive (doesn't affect performance much at all), based on feedback.  Not sure what affect with heat, but on the C14, it doesn't seem to be an issue (at least on the 2+ gen).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc