Author Topic: Second TPS battery warning  (Read 8924 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Second TPS battery warning
« on: December 21, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »
So last night the temp. was in the mid- 30's F and I got the dreaded 'Tire pressure sensor battery low' warning. This is on a replacement set of pressure sensors as the originals were replaced for the same reason under warranty. The bike is almost 4 1/2 years old now so it was already unlikely that Kawi would replace the sensors as they state they had an approx. lifespan of 5 years but they also changed their policy and no longer apparently change sensors when the battery warning appears if it will clear itself.

Must be time to install new batteries in the sensors 'Cause buying new sensors is not a reasonable option in my opinion. I'll take photos and post one or two when I do change them.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

ang

Re: Second TPS battery warning
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »
Replaced mine last week for the first time, was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I bought the bike in Nov. 07 so battery life was ok.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 05:26:19 PM »
I will be following with great interest as my batteries are now past the 5 years life span. They are still working fine for now but I don't expect them to last much longer. BTW, my 08 now has 93,000 miles.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »
Bri,

Your bike is 5 1/2 years old..  I know she 's a young looking 5 1/2 year old but.. :)

Congrats Lather on your mileage... I'm getting close to 90K....  Next year we'll all be over 100,000 !

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
So last night the temp. was in the mid- 30's
I think in weather that cold that is normal.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:56:40 AM »
Ive been getting the warning for a few miles when temps are below 35* for the rear wheel.  Bike is a year old 2011 model .

I figure when I finish off the rear tire i'll take it in.  The warning is annoying though.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »
Brian,
why not call stop in there and ask them?
Can't hurt, I got mine replaced this year finally, and they didn't question it after they ordered them sight unseen.
I told them that they began working again when I brought the bike in for the install and the brake update, and they just told me
" we have them in hand, so they are going in...." 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »
Yep, you're right- I forgot to divide by pi when I did the calculation....  :o 

Brian

Bri,

Your bike is 5 1/2 years old..  I know she 's a young looking 5 1/2 year old but.. :)

Congrats Lather on your mileage... I'm getting close to 90K....  Next year we'll all be over 100,000 !

JJ
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »
It does not happen until the bike and sensor batteries have some time and a lot of cycles of use on them. New batteries cure the problem for a couple of years.

Brian

So last night the temp. was in the mid- 30's
I think in weather that cold that is normal.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »
Yes, the warning is annoying especially when it happens on both front and rear wheel sensors because each warning must be cleared individually. The button sequence is clumsy enough that doing it twice each time the bike is started, all winter long, makes it worth the effort to replace the batteries. Unfortunately it is a lot less pleasant to dismount and re-mount the tires, as well as removing the wheel from the bike, in the winter than it is when it is warmer out. The catch here is that we don't find out the batteries are getting weak until winter and cold overnight temperatures set in.

Brian

Ive been getting the warning for a few miles when temps are below 35* for the rear wheel.  Bike is a year old 2011 model .

I figure when I finish off the rear tire i'll take it in.  The warning is annoying though.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »
I took a video of mine when the warning was flashing. I brought the video in to the dealer and told him this is too annoying to ride with and they replaced them. Without the video it would be hear say. After it warmed up, they go out.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 07:06:09 PM »
. The button sequence is clumsy enough that doing it twice each time the bike is started, all winter long, makes it worth the effort to replace the batteries.

Brian

I didn't know you could clear them, lol

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:43:54 PM »
Yep, this is the sequence:

Press and hold the top button.
Press and release the bottom button (when you release the button the warning will clear and the red 'Warning' light on the top / left side of the dash will illuminate)
Release the top button.

For those folks who a 2010 or later, I believe you can use the button on the left handlebar (the screen toggle button) as the ‘top’ button in the above sequence but have not verified  that for sure. I have an ’08 and do not have that display sequence switch there.

This works for any warning the system displays (not errors, just warnings). They are cleared one at a time and the button pressing sequence must be used each time the bike is started to clear all warnings. For example, you can clear the low fuel warning using the above sequence and it will stay clear of the LCD readout until the next time you start the bike (or fill the fuel tank of course).

Brian

I didn't know you could clear them, lol

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 07:55:40 PM »
And then the bright red light stays on. I think they are both annoying. I do like the feature, because it has saved my hide twice so far.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 08:54:23 PM »
Pull the stupid things out! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Makz58

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 07:13:05 AM »
Wouldn't it have been great if Kawi had enough foresight so the batteries were accessed from outside the wheel. Just out of interest I am wondering how other manufacturers deal with this.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 10:00:06 AM »
Wouldn't it have been great if Kawi had enough foresight so the batteries were accessed from outside the wheel. Just out of interest I am wondering how other manufacturers deal with this.

I think it would have been more interesting if it didn't require batteries at all, perhaps using the motion of the wheel to generate the small amount of power needed.  Or if it needs to be internal and sealed, use of an inductive charger on it once a year or something.  Or....  attach the leads through the filler valve and use a special valve connector to charge internal batteries.   So many options that would be far more convenient and friendly.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 10:09:06 AM »
My RAV4 uses that method...no sensors but you have to figure out which tire is low.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »
I will be following with great interest as my batteries are now past the 5 years life span. They are still working fine for now but I don't expect them to last much longer. BTW, my 08 now has 93,000 miles.

Il mio connie è 2007/9/28/They are still working .

MGvalerio 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline Makz58

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »
I think it would have been more interesting if it didn't require batteries at all, perhaps using the motion of the wheel to generate the small amount of power needed.  Or if it needs to be internal and sealed, use of an inductive charger on it once a year or something.  Or....  attach the leads through the filler valve and use a special valve connector to charge internal batteries.   So many options that would be far more convenient and friendly.
Some good ideas there Max...how about solar powered?
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010