Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 455768 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #1240 on: March 25, 2016, 06:26:50 AM »
That and when someone joins - then asks a question and we give 20 answers and they never reply again.

+1 on that! How many times have we seen this happen? New guy has an issue and asks for help. Lots of guys come to his aid and asks for more detail about the problem and then we never hear from the guy again.

Oh well.    ::)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #1241 on: March 25, 2016, 11:13:28 PM »
HOW can you be a African American or a Chinese American or a Mexican American et al ... If your born in America????  :o :o
 ??? ???
 :banghead: :banghead:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1242 on: March 26, 2016, 05:58:53 AM »
HOW can you be a African American or a Chinese American or a Mexican American et al ... If your born in America????  :o :o
 ??? ???
 :banghead: :banghead:

Don't even get me started on that.  THAT is one of the things that drives me super-hyper-crazy.  Stupidest political correctness stuff ever.  Africa is a continent, not a country.  And if I call myself "European American", that is somehow wrong???
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1243 on: March 26, 2016, 06:31:12 AM »
Anyone who feels they need to hyphenate their ancestry or origin or religion need to drop the American part then go the  :censored: home.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1244 on: March 26, 2016, 06:58:11 AM »
I'm English/American...but I was born in England... ;)   However I don't refer to myself as such.   I agree that if you were born here (US) legally, you are an 'American'.  If you were born in North or South America does that still make you an 'American'?  We are part of North America so could Canadians refer to themselves as 'American'?

From Wikipedia....further musings.

The meaning of the word American in the English language varies according to the historical, geographical, and political context in which it is used. American is derived from America, a term originally denoting all of the New World (also called the Americas). In some expressions, it retains this Pan-American sense, but its usage has evolved over time and, for various historical reasons, the word came to denote people or things specifically from the United States of America.
In modern English, Americans generally refers to residents of the United States; among native English speakers this usage is almost universal, with any other use of the term requiring specification.[1] However, this default use has been the source of complaint by some residents of Latin America who feel that using the term solely for the United States misappropriates it.[2][3] They argue instead that "American" should be broadened to include people from anywhere in North or South America, not just the United States; these critics admit their proposed usage is uncommon in English.
The word can be used as both a noun and an adjective. In adjectival use, it is generally understood to mean "of or relating to the United States"; for example, "Elvis Presley was an American singer" or "the American President gave a speech today". In noun form, it generally means U.S. citizen or national. The noun is rarely used in American English to refer to people not connected to the United States.[1] When used with a grammatical qualifier, the adjective American can mean "of or relating to the Americas", as in Latin American or Indigenous American. Less frequently, the adjective can take this meaning without a qualifier, as in "American Spanish dialects and pronunciation differ by country", or the name of the Organization of American States. A third use of the term pertains specifically to the indigenous peoples of the Americas, for instance, "In the 16th century, many Americans died from imported diseases during the European conquest".
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #1245 on: March 26, 2016, 07:05:23 AM »
I'm a Western European North American living in the North East ... does that make anyone crazy and annoyed?   ::)
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1246 on: March 26, 2016, 07:09:55 AM »
I'm a Western European North American living in the North East ... does that make anyone crazy and annoyed?   ::)

As a matter of fact it does! Would you mind moving to the south west?  ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1247 on: March 26, 2016, 07:26:17 AM »

And what if you are a white South African?  Would you be a "African South African American" or a "South African American" or an "African American" or just "white"?   And if you are a light-skinned Egyptian are you also "African American"?  And if you were half Chilean half Zulu would you be "South American American African American"?.  And what if your grandparents were from Zaire and moved to central America, are you "Central America African" or perhaps "African Central American"?  And if you are a black American and moved permanently to Africa but retained your American citizenship are you still "African American"?  Or are you "African American African?"

The stuff is just plan stupid and since it also doesn't seem to apply to just "whites" it is inconsistent, confusing, exclusionist, unfair, and perhaps even racist as a bonus.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1248 on: March 26, 2016, 07:29:12 AM »
I'm English/American...but I was born in England... ;)   However I don't refer to myself as such.   I agree that if you were born here (US) legally, you are an 'American'.  If you were born in North or South America does that still make you an 'American'?  We are part of North America so could Canadians refer to themselves as 'American'?
<snip>

blah blah blah....By right of possession and usage for 240 years we, the USofA, owns the term American. If you are a citizen of one of the 50 states (at least til we kick Hawaii out) you are American. That's it. No exceptions.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1249 on: March 26, 2016, 07:31:55 AM »
 :P
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #1250 on: March 26, 2016, 07:52:30 AM »
blah blah blah....By right of possession and usage for 240 years we, the USofA, owns the term American. If you are a citizen of one of the 50 states (at least til we kick Hawaii out) you are American. That's it. No exceptions.

Alright alright ... I'm just an American ... with Western European roots ... living in the North East of North America ... but considering moving to the South West cause Conrad asked me to.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1251 on: March 26, 2016, 07:56:17 AM »
Alright alright ... I'm just an American ... with Western European roots ... living in the North East of North America ... but considering moving to the South West cause Conrad asked me to.

Thank you for your consideration. Please let me know when said move is complete so that I can revise my opinion of you.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1252 on: March 26, 2016, 08:00:38 AM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1253 on: March 26, 2016, 12:07:10 PM »
What a bunch of Twits.  But you're our Twits and we like you.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #1254 on: March 26, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »
What a bunch of Twits.  But you're our Twits and we like you.
Speak for yourself. ;) ;)
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: What makes me just a little bit annoyed....
« Reply #1255 on: March 26, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »
......is the lack of understanding of what it takes to be a good librarian/historian.  :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1256 on: March 26, 2016, 09:15:13 PM »
When a member can't stop for a long enough moment to think and realize that he's nitpicking [...] Nazi Nitpicker decides to declare

Sigh.  I guess resorting to personal attacks will make it all better and set people straight.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1257 on: March 27, 2016, 08:27:44 AM »
I'll tell you what really makes me annoyed....is members using this thread (or any thread for that matter) for personal attacks on other members. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1258 on: March 27, 2016, 10:07:07 AM »
Jim, allow me... :battle:   ;)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1259 on: May 05, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »
...finding out about this thread after I'd already started a thread about email and those who love the "copy all" feature and use it indiscriminately.

Two for two! I'm batting 1.000!  :D
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90