Author Topic: Whats up? What do I need to know on my 1st Concours?  (Read 4772 times)

Offline mopdog

Whats up? What do I need to know on my 1st Concours?
« on: July 16, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »
Picking up my new 2013 Concours tomorrow.....what do I need to know? Anyone have any suggestions on a good backrest? Cheapest I found one was $180....no way am I going to sent $400 plus on one. Whats the best upgrades I should think about first? Thanks cant wait to get it!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:36:21 PM by mopdog »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Whats up? What do I need to know on ym 1st Concours?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 04:11:13 PM »
Welcome!  It would be a start to read through some of the posts on the C14 Accessory board.  That's where I would start.  It's very subjective on what works for one and not for another.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=3.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline petepro

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:13 PM »
Picking up my new 2013 Concours tomorrow.....what do I need to know? Anyone have any suggestions on a good backrest? Cheapest I found one was $180....no way am I going to sent $400 plus on one. Whats the best upgrades I should think about first? Thanks cant wait to get it!

Service Manual.

then adjust handlebar, seat, pegs to fit you.

maybe sign up for the "try a windshield" on this forum.

Take your time.   The seat will get better when it breaks in.

Replace the stock horn with a steibel.

2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline SapperLdr

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »
First off ride it for awhile.  You may find that you don't need to change much.
I have put 16000 miles in 9 months on my 2013.  The stock seat and handle bars actually works for me.
Living the dream in Arizona.

Offline mopdog

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 08:14:23 PM »
Back rest has to be the 1st thing for the wife

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:55:14 PM »
First thing to do is have the dealer swap the P.O.S. Bridgestone 021 tires for a pair of decent Michelin PR4 or Pirelli tires with rear 55 aspect ratio- this bike's handling characteristics are very sensitive with tires and these are the tires it should have come with from the factory. I almost sold my 2009 because of the scary and spooky handling before reading this forum and buying proper tires.

Offline mopdog

Re: Whats up? What do I need to know on my 1st Concours?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »
80 miles tonight so 1st impressions are....
The brakes suck.....its notchy and not predictable, I read how to switch modes so going to try that tomorrow
I didnt read the manual to know how to do anything...which I now need to so I can make changes
I rode it in ECO mode and didnt know it till I read some of the manual to know what the symbol on the dash was
The key fob thing seems like a pain and doesnt really have a way to put it on a key chain or anything so I hope I dont misplace it
Really nice bike just some things I need to get used to...wife and I put 65 miles on and we werent sore like we woulda been on my FZ-1...
And she really wants a back rest

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 05:58:22 AM »
When you say the brakes are notchy, you prolly mean the rear brake.  Many of us have experienced that and don't use the rear (unless going slow on dirt, grass or gravel).  The front brakes IMHO are terrific.

$400 to make the wife happy? What are you waiting for?

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 07:46:51 AM »
The Connie has some of the best brakes in the business.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline petepro

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:23:57 AM »
80 miles tonight so 1st impressions are....
The brakes suck.....its notchy and not predictable, I read how to switch modes so going to try that tomorrow
Unlinking the brakes will help it feel better if you are used to unlinked brake systems. 
The linking helps when riding two up.  give it a couple hundred miles and you will get used to it. (maybe)
I didnt read the manual to know how to do anything...which I now need to so I can make changes
I rode it in ECO mode and didnt know it till I read some of the manual to know what the symbol on the dash was
There is both the eco mode pyramid icon and the "ECON" wording which shows when in full eco mode.   It will increase your mpg about 10% and doesn't hurt performance.   I feel it helps smooth out the low end.
The key fob thing seems like a pain and doesnt really have a way to put it on a key chain or anything so I hope I dont misplace it
whatever you do don't put it in the glovebox!   keep it in the pocket of your favorite jacket.
Really nice bike just some things I need to get used to...wife and I put 65 miles on and we werent sore like we woulda been on my FZ-1...
And she really wants a back rest

AST backrest is solid and offers some adjustment in postition.
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 07:50:05 AM »
The Connie has some of the best brakes in the business.

+1! Unless you're talking about Kawasaki's implementation of their linked braking system. Then yes, that part does suck.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 08:24:25 AM »
On the 10+ bikes, I think.  Our 08/09s don't have that linked crap.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »
Welcome MD!  :chugbeer: