Author Topic: What brain bucket are you wearing?  (Read 4892 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Re: What brain bucket are you wearing?
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
HJC Symax II.  It has a flip face, which my bank tellers find amusing when I go into the bank, pop the face up, and proceed to do business with the helmet still on.  I do this a lot at gas stations and such as well.

This is the second one I've owned.  I skidded face down across the road with the last one after a nasty spill, and was knocked unconscious.  The visor was scuffed up pretty bad, the vent louver inside the face plate was broken, but otherwise the helmet did it's job well protecting my face.  As they tell you to replace a helmet after such an impact, I did so as soon as funds allowed, with another SymaxII.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 07:59:33 PM »
Replacing original Symax. Tried the Symax III and the drop down sun shield and it hits me in the old snozzola. Never knew I had a long beak. The Vemar TC fit well, but it's heavy.
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »
Bought a couple of Fulmer helmets for the wife and myself this summer.  We're quite pleased by both fit and price.  You have to buy from a brick and mortar store, but I feel it's best to try them on first anyway.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
HJC CL 16.  Biggest bang for your buck.

+1! Silver one in my profile pic.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 11:39:45 PM »
I'm on my second Shoei RF1000 because that's what fits my skull.  Very quiet, and especially since I ride with the visor open  (behind the windshield) and I wear ANSI-type safety glasses.  I just like the 'shield open.  Very quiet and no turbulence.  My first one was red that matched my 2003 Connie paint, but I switched to white for better visibility.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 04:30:29 AM »
I have a Nolan N102. Takes audio components (bluetooth,etc.) It has the flip-up chinbar/face screen with one handed operation.
I got a N101 for the missus, but you gotta use 2 hands to raise the chinbar/visor.
Good helmets. Fit well, not much noise, good aerodynamics with the chin bar up or down. Not to expensive...

I'd buy again.
'02 C-10

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 05:32:02 AM »
So there ya go: best advice has been stated above: try the helmets on to see what feels best. I tried them all on a few years back and came up with a relatively inexpensive helmet worked for me. Several years and several helmets later I was given an Icon Airframe. Need the vents on the Connie, I agree. If I was pulling the trigger right now, I would have to try on the new Bell models: I started years ago with a Bell, and like that Revolver that was mentioned.

But try them on first!

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 08:46:35 AM »
Bought a couple of Fulmer helmets for the wife and myself this summer.  We're quite pleased by both fit and price.  You have to buy from a brick and mortar store, but I feel it's best to try them on first anyway.

I didn't realize that Fulmer was still around. I had one back in the mid-80's. It was the first "good" helmet I ever had.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Axxman

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »
I wear a Icon Alliance which I really like, but it's getting kinda old (about 8 or 9 years)  I think i might try a Scorpion for my next one. A couple of my buddies wear them and like them alot.
Jay
09 Concours 14 ABS
Candy Diamond Red

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
My big 3 are fit, weight, and ventilation, in that order.  I contend that proper fit takes care of the noise.  My head is too elongated for even a profile.  I am currently in a Shark RSi and love it.  Different brands and models fit different.  I have never liked hjc, scorpion, or icon.  They all weigh 12 pounds apiece.  As far as safety , I don't think there is an unsafe legal helmet.  But wait till mile 600 of day 3 and tell me how much you still like that heavy cheap scorpion as the shooting pains gather between your shoulderblades from holding the blasted thing up.  I also forgo flip fronts for the same reason.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 10:26:10 PM »
I still use an Arai RX7RR4 that is my "go to" helmet. It is probably 9-10 years old, but I have replaced the liners and shield and she is still feelin good. I also purchased a Nolan N103 with bluetooth setup a year or so ago. This was my first modular syle helmet and I like it it alot, but it is nosier than my Arai.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black