Author Topic: I need another Key FOB?  (Read 59153 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: I need another Key FOB?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 04:47:44 AM »
You're not going to mention the secret incantation?

If he did then it wouldn't be secret any longer now would it?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 05:00:11 AM »
I'd like to bump this conversation for some clarification.  I have washed my original fob one time too many, and now it is working then not working.  It seems to drain the battery pretty quickly (like in 3hrs).  I want to be clear about the credit card FOB, does it work the SAME as the original that came with my 08?  Like I can just get on the bike and ride?  I believe I saw a post where someone stated that you had to wave it around the ignition to get it to work.

Just would like some clarification,

Scott

The full sized fob works in two ways. One is the method that uses the fob's battery to send out a confirmation signal to the bike from a short distance after the stove knob is pressed. The other doesn't use the fob's battery (this is the method the smaller fobs use, they have no battery) and the fob must be placed in very close proximity to the top of the ignition boss.

There is also a difference in the way the bike is programmed to recognize these fobs. Since the full sized fob can give the bike the 'go ahead' to start in two ways (at a distance and placing it on the ignition boss in case of a dead fob battery) so the programming for the full sized fob has two segments. The smaller fob only has one segment that needs to be addressed.

There's a bit more to this but basically that's it. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 05:07:13 AM »
If he did then it wouldn't be secret any longer now would it?
sshhh....nobody reads the owners manual.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 05:34:02 AM »
sshhh....nobody reads the owners manual.

There's an owners manual?    ;)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 07:58:16 AM »
Thanks Conrad.  Is it possible to program my 08 for both?  I'm liking the idea of keeping my original fob in my jacket (instead of my pants pocket!), but would like to have the other type for maybe emergencies or that time when I don't wear the right jacket..... So I was thinking of purchasing BOTH!

Scott
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »
Thanks Conrad.  Is it possible to program my 08 for both?  I'm liking the idea of keeping my original fob in my jacket (instead of my pants pocket!), but would like to have the other type for maybe emergencies or that time when I don't wear the right jacket..... So I was thinking of purchasing BOTH!

Scott

Yes, C14s of all years can be programmed to recognize both types of fobs. Not all shops have the knowhow to do it right off the bat though. If you only have one fob right now you had better treat that thing like gold until you can get one more fob that works with your bike. If you lose the one fob that works you are going to be in for a BIG surprise. Get another fob ASAP or you're looking at around $700 or more to get your bike working again.

Offline SevenAce

• Left Lane Passing Only
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »
The FOB which you currently say drains its' battery and works on again/off again could still work as a passive FOB forever. I'd try it -

Whether you think you can or can't you're right!

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »
The FOB which you currently say drains its' battery and works on again/off again could still work as a passive FOB forever. I'd try it -

Just at the stealer this morning....287.50 for a new fob!!!  This is crazy!  It looks like I will be using this one for a while!  Why is it that I can find plenty of wrecked C14s for sale online, but never the fobs? Never mind...

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2014, 06:41:00 AM »
Just at the stealer this morning....287.50 for a new fob!!!  This is crazy!  It looks like I will be using this one for a while!  Why is it that I can find plenty of wrecked C14s for sale online, but never the fobs? Never mind...

Do you have just one fob? Just one? If so, and you lose that one you are going to be screwed! Buy one of the smaller passive only fobs for less than $40 online and get your bike programmed to recognize it right away. Perhaps you don't understand but if you lose the one working fob it is going to cost you well over $700 to get your bike working and there is no getting around it.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »
Do you have just one fob? Just one? If so, and you lose that one you are going to be screwed! Buy one of the smaller passive only fobs for less than $40 online and get your bike programmed to recognize it right away. Perhaps you don't understand but if you lose the one working fob it is going to cost you well over $700 to get your bike working and there is no getting around it.
As in...all fobs lost = new ecu.  Get the cc fob and put it in your wallet, or let it ride in the tank glove box.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 04:35:26 AM »
As in...all fobs lost = new ecu.  Get the cc fob and put it in your wallet, or let it ride in the tank glove box.

New ECU + labor = WAY more than the $40 cost for a new passive fob.

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »

I have TWO dead fobs!  I bought the bike used, and was given two FOBs.  The previous owner told me that there was a primary and a secondary.  I only used the primary.  Well now that it is dead, I discovered the secondary is/has been dead.  SO now I have two passive FOBs.  Is the newer credit card FOB close enough to the ignition in the glove box to make it work?  I ABSOLUTELY hate getting on the bike and then remembering that I have to dig out my fob, hold it up to the ignition, and start the bke.  Then put it back away.  I guess I'll get used to it!

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline SevenAce

• Left Lane Passing Only
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2014, 05:20:33 PM »
Maybe order a dozen batteries? Sounds like I'm kidding - but, maybe?

How long do new batteries usually last you?

I might stitch my passive fob and a spare battery into my jacket sleeve/cuff for extra measure. This fob system has been great so far but these threads are a touch of reality. I am glad my keychain isn't dangling from the ignition while riding - but Kipass sure is a handful of tech to solve a problem that hardly existed.

Connies should have come with 2 active fobs. I think my '09 did? My '10 didn't.

Sure wish the credit card fob was 'active'. Fancy cars have credit card fobs instead of bulky clunks of plastic. But as they say 'wish in one hand and $h1t in the other and see which one fills up first'.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »
Have the fobs been taken apart and cleaned?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 07:49:50 AM »
I'm not understanding the 'dead' part.  So they don't work even with new batteries?  If that's the case, I've never heard of them going 'dead'...  Unless they've both gone through the wash and have not been able to be revived..  How can two fobs go 'dead'?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 10:46:43 AM »
I'm not understanding the 'dead' part.  So they don't work even with new batteries?  If that's the case, I've never heard of them going 'dead'...  Unless they've both gone through the wash and have not been able to be revived..  How can two fobs go 'dead'?

'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-FOB!!

Offline SevenAce

• Left Lane Passing Only
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 11:21:16 AM »
LOL

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 11:45:15 AM »

Bring out your dead (Monty Python)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »
Or, how about "He's dead, Jim." That fob must have been a redshirt in spirit....

Brian

'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-FOB!!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
Or, how about "He's dead, Jim." That fob must have been a redshirt in spirit....

Brian

In the script the character would just be "FOB #3".