Author Topic: An eventful trip to Utah  (Read 2958 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
An eventful trip to Utah
« on: July 02, 2020, 04:49:38 PM »
Me and 4 friends made a 3500 mile trip to Utah in June on our "Adventure Bikes" (From Louisiana, Houston and Arkansas) I rode my 950 Multistrada. We had great weather and it was a great scenic ride through several National Parks, Arches, Zion Monument Valley. Highlights were riding the Moki Dugway  and the views from Muley Point. Low points were a few meals that we really struggled to get something to eat due to covid restrictions. I Chama NW we went to a grocery store and bought stuff to make sandwitches for supper and ate outside our motel rooms.

On the way back on a dirt road in in New Mexico the SW-Motech Givi topcase adapter plate seperated from my SW-Motech Alurack attached to the rear rails of the Multistrada. I did not become aware that my  Givi Maxia 55 was missing until the next gas stop.

I retraced 10 miles but gave up realizing it could have been as far back as 160 miles and even if I found it chances were not good that I could re-attached it.  I had a tire repair kit, rain gear and a back up Zumo and various tools and my spare Ducati Key in the case. Fortunately I made it home without needing any of that.

The day I got home I was contacted by an attractive young lady via Facebook Messenger, Facebook's private message system for you non FB folks. She asked if I had lost a topcase the last few days and if I would be contacted if I provided a phone number. I gave her my number  and the following day her Dad, Rudi (Rudi the Rancher) called and we discussed.The case had come open in the fall and he located a gas receipt with my name on it. The CC company would not give out any info so he turned to his daughter who owns an advertising agency and ids Facebook savvy. She found me by my mostly motorcycle related posts. I did not ask Rudi to send the case back as it would have been expensive and possibly a waste of money if badly damaged. Which I thought likely since it had come open. He agreed to send back the Zumo and my spare key (expensive to replace like Concours fob). I offered to pay him but he said he'd just keep my tools and that would be payment. He was joking. Rudi owns a 6000 acre ranch. Two days later my package arrived. Also included were my souvenir shot glass and earrings I had bout for my wife at the Zion visitors center gift shop which I had completely forgotten about. 

I wanted to share this as we all need to hear about some good people in the world now and then.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: An eventful trip to Utah
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 08:07:04 PM »
Great story,great ride. I fell in love with the New Mexico high country.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 04:24:10 AM »
There are good people everywhere.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 05:55:52 PM »
Yep, good folks abound.
I had a similar experience after I met a fellow rider for lunch and to talk a little business. While packing up, I absentmindely left my notebook folio on the passenger seat. It flew off about 35 miles from the office and was found by a farmer who works 800 acres. By the time I got back to the office, he'd called and said he had it. I turned around and went back for it. I offered a reward and he politely declined. Good guy.

Thanks for the story. I needed that.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »
We had great weather and it was a great scenic ride through several National Parks, Arches, Zion Monument Valley. Highlights were riding the Moki Dugway  and the views from Muley Point.

Great story  :thumbs:, but......
Without photos Bob, it' just another tall tale.  Reminds me of some fishing stories I've heard.  :stirpot:

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 04:32:08 PM »
Cant really provide any photos of the missing topcase but here is some scenery:
www.wfr-ridersclub.com/Utah2020
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 08:10:29 PM »
As far as the story goes....I expected no less...LOL.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 10:30:11 AM »
Cant really provide any photos of the missing topcase but here is some scenery:
www.wfr-ridersclub.com/Utah2020

Thanks, that's what I wanted to see.
 We've all seen photos of missing top cases. Seen one you've seen them all, but scenery photos from a trip never get old.  :thumbs: :thumbs: