Author Topic: Will this winter EVER end???  (Read 42214 times)

Offline Strawboss

Re: Will this winter EVER end???
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »
Remember the images of the tsunami wall of water and debris that overtook the Japanese port city? We had an inch of rain in about 1 hour last Thursday night and 15 inches of snow that was melting at about 50F. The wall of water picked up the ice, smashed it, threw it down river on top of the other ice, this ice was about 8 inches thick, and it rolled down stream at around 5 miles an hour, rolling and curling and chopping up and throwing as it went, somebody got a video of it and it was fascinating to watch, kind of like a tornado, sad that some got flooded, well, not too sad as who would build by a river that does this every year, then ask for help to rebuild their $300,000 homes by the river. Nobody got hurt though and all are accounted for. But now, it looks like a alien war zone with ice chunks as big as cars littered about. Sorry, no video, but I think it was either the Grand River, Black River or the Vermillion River in Ohio.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 11:18:15 AM »
Remember the images of the tsunami wall of water and debris that overtook the Japanese port city? We had an inch of rain in about 1 hour last Thursday night and 15 inches of snow that was melting at about 50F. The wall of water picked up the ice, smashed it, threw it down river on top of the other ice, this ice was about 8 inches thick, and it rolled down stream at around 5 miles an hour, rolling and curling and chopping up and throwing as it went, somebody got a video of it and it was fascinating to watch, kind of like a tornado, sad that some got flooded, well, not too sad as who would build by a river that does this every year, then ask for help to rebuild their $300,000 homes by the river. Nobody got hurt though and all are accounted for. But now, it looks like a alien war zone with ice chunks as big as cars littered about. Sorry, no video, but I think it was either the Grand River, Black River or the Vermillion River in Ohio.

Vermillion... those dodo's have to be brain dead living 7 feet above a river so they can have a dock.... well, the dock is now in the living room....

Chagrin hit flood stage maxed yesterday, it was impressive to see it flowing off rt 90, kinda like dirty gray lava....
The grand didn't look too bad when I saw it Friday, but I heard it jammed Out at the mouth and was piling up.

shoreline off Cleveland was open water, Fairport broke up yesterday I think.....
THIS WAS Friday MORN, in Fairport you can see the big ice ridge out about a mile... the rest inland was pretty thin inside the breakwall...yes. it is frozen there...

this was during the "heatwave"... were back to normal now, most of the snow melt is done, and we'll be getting it again this week...  ::) ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »
Did you hear the stir caused by the company that wanted to run an ice breaker around S. Bass Island? Ice fishers were in an uproar, understandable. It was also stated that in the last few weeks, at least 2 dozen ATV's were lost when they went through the ice, and a few weeks ago a Range Rover went under, WHOA! I took enough water and ice rescue to never get on ice again no matter the thickness.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 11:27:56 AM »
Did you hear the stir caused by the company that wanted to run an ice breaker around S. Bass Island? Ice fishers were in an uproar, understandable. It was also stated that in the last few weeks, at least 2 dozen ATV's were lost when they went through the ice, and a few weeks ago a Range Rover went under, WHOA! I took enough water and ice rescue to never get on ice again no matter the thickness.

I don't think there are any capable of doing that currently... I saw on the news that the Neah Bay and the Morro Bay are both down and out of commission due to mechanical failures, those are the 2 I have seen most frequently for big jobs like that... all the other Bay class breakers are on the far end of Michigan I would assume..... Tecro could prolly tell ya which ones aren't.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 04:32:12 AM »
Oh boy, back into the deep freeze for my area this week. We'll be setting record low temps for Thursday and Friday nights along with record low max temps for those days.

So no, this winter will never end.    :o

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cuda

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 06:01:44 AM »
C time for a break,  we've been breaking records for high temps 8)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 06:24:33 AM »
Oh boy, back into the deep freeze for my area this week. We'll be setting record low temps for Thursday and Friday nights along with record low max temps for those days.

You people down south think you've got it bad! Up north here it's REALLY COLD!! :o :o
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 04:49:37 AM »

You people down south think you've got it bad! Up north here it's REALLY COLD!! :o :o

You talkin to me? 'Down south'?  Northern Illinois isn't exactly down south. It's supposed to get down to 14f BELOW zero tonight, plus the wind chill. I'd say that's somewhat cold wouldn't you?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 04:50:20 AM »
C time for a break,  we've been breaking records for high temps 8)

Hell yes!    :thumbs:

Offline capt chaos

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 05:34:14 AM »
You talkin to me? 'Down south'?  Northern Illinois isn't exactly down south. It's supposed to get down to 14f BELOW zero tonight, plus the wind chill. I'd say that's somewhat cold wouldn't you?

42nd Parallel is same as California and Mediterranean :-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42nd_parallel_north#United_States

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/feb/25/world-2014-extreme-weather-events
2010 GTR1400 Magnesium

Offline Conrad

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 09:15:22 AM »
Temps supposed to drop to -0- F tonight and stay cold for the next couple days. Then it will warm up and.... dump some more snow on us. Sunday through Monday, something like 6" to 12", maybe as much as a foot!  ;D

Nothing like you folks in Minasnowta or Canada, eh? but definitely toward the cold and lots of snowfall side for us.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 11:15:30 AM »
SUMSABIOTCHINBASTICHES...WEATHERMAN....

"oh, we'll likely get about an inch...a bit more in the snowbelt..."

yeah, 2-1/2 hours to go 35 miles....deathgrip on the wheel..."Jesus on the dashboard"....(had to throw that in there cause it's my favorite song lately.....)

each second it changes, visibility about 60 ft....

music to drive by....when it's blowing...
http://youtu.be/PWZO6VAd4rg

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »
I'm off this weekend and we are supposed to get a boat load of snow Sunday so we'll take a hike in the woods during the storm, it is so cool, no pun intended, its so quiet and everything is covered and white and there are no tracks yet, we'll take a thermos of coffee and walk a few hours. The best is at night though. No need for a light.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 04:00:40 PM »
-36F in Crane Lake, MN this morning, -33 at the Falls. Without windchill. Windchills in northern MN were predicted to be below -50.

My three brothers have stopped asking why I took a job transfer to central F L A.

Another week and a half they say until a break. I heard that in spots, the frost is down at 7+ feet. Time to leave the water running.

No, I do not miss it.

It was a chilly 56 this afternoon on my home bound commute. That's plenty cold enough.

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »
Two of my very favorite things about being in an area blanketed with a fresh snowfall; the first is the quiet. Snow modulates and dulls all the noises and sound in the world and it is a great experience, every single time it happens. The other thing is that human perception seems so much sharper because all movement is very well contrasted against the snow. Normally as a human, I think my outdoor observation skills rate about a 2 out of 100 compared with everything else on the planet that walks. I mean most animals can just stop and stare at any one of us and we simply do not see it. That all changes in a snowed- in area, especially freshly snowed because we see the movement, the contrast and even the tracks of what is / has been moving around.

I like all four seasons and winter has its own attractions IMO, or at least to me. I don't know if I want to live in the snow belt and measure the build up in feet every year but I do miss the snow if we don't get much of any for a whole year.

Brian

I'm off this weekend and we are supposed to get a boat load of snow Sunday so we'll take a hike in the woods during the storm, it is so cool, no pun intended, its so quiet and everything is covered and white and there are no tracks yet, we'll take a thermos of coffee and walk a few hours. The best is at night though. No need for a light.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »
And, the BEST nights for observing the sky are the coldest clearest nights. Like warmth, cold is something you get used to. In December, we froze when it was 20F, after two months of below zero for high temps and snow, 20F is warm!

Offline Cuda

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2014, 04:26:18 AM »
  cold is something you get used to. In December, we froze when it was 20F, after two months of below zero for high temps and snow, 20F is warm!

http://youtu.be/30KfPtHec4s
And that my friends is the theory of Relativity :o

Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2014, 08:22:07 AM »
It was cool enough in Tampa to wear a light jacket comfortably  =)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2014, 08:22:54 AM »
I hate you.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.