Author Topic: SOLVED !!!! Used bike flash - How to tell?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline jimboni

SOLVED !!!! Used bike flash - How to tell?
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »
FNG here, sporting a red 2012. My first C14 after a long string of BMWs and HDs.
The Concours was well farkled by the PO and I noticed smooth power delivery at low rpms unlike stock, so figured it had been flashed.
Pulled the ECU to have a look and there is a plain white sticker on the ECU with handwritten POs last name, a date (looks like bike build date-IDK) and a 3 digit number. No logos or company name. Just what is noted above.  Any way to know whose flash I have?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:23:03 PM by jimboni »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Used bike flash - How to tell?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 03:05:21 PM »
Post a picture of it.

:goodpost:

It probably isn't a Guhl, because they put a fancy company name sticker on it.  Can't remember, but I think Steve's was simpler and without a logo.

Jimboni- Did you buy it from the original owner?  If so, am surprised they wouldn't have included all the documentation with it (I would if I sold mine).  Having it flashed (well) can be a major selling point.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimboni

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 04:44:56 PM »
Thanks. Bought it from a dealer. Had full service history on it since new but no info on the mods done. Not sure a pic is gonna help. It's just a white sticker like an Avery folder label with handwriting on it.

And of course both TPMS failed the day after I bought it. Grrr. At least the dealer will replace at cost.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 05:40:43 PM »
Thanks. Bought it from a dealer. Had full service history on it since new but no info on the mods done. Not sure a pic is gonna help. It's just a white sticker like an Avery folder label with handwriting on it.

And of course both TPMS failed the day after I bought it. Grrr. At least the dealer will replace at cost.

Someone might recognize the handwriting.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 05:46:54 PM »

Well that is helpful.  Of course, does "at cost" mean just their cost of parts with free labor?  Even that is a LOT (prob ~ $350 to $400).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 06:22:19 PM »
FNG here, sporting a red 2012. My first C14 after a long string of BMWs and HDs.
The Concours was well farkled by the PO and I noticed smooth power delivery at low rpms unlike stock, so figured it had been flashed.
Pulled the ECU to have a look and there is a plain white sticker on the ECU with handwritten POs last name, a date (looks like bike build date-IDK) and a 3 digit number. No logos or company name. Just what is noted above.  Any way to know whose flash I have?

Thanks in advance.
sounds like a Steve flash, Shoodabeen Engineering, by the label...he places a handwritten label, on each ECU, with owner, flash date, and what flash he did... contact him, and as you have the p/o's name, ask him what you have.. you got the good stuff, for sure, but he released some upgrades last year, that really unleash a lot more "ooomph", ask him about the MRP flash... it's worth the upgrade..
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

congrats, on your bike..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jimboni

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 06:52:20 AM »
Very helpful. Thank you. I'll reach out to Steve.

Yeah, the dealer is being very fair. Works out to be right at 3 bills all in. I'm not into electronic nannyism but I have learned to appreciate tpms.

Offline jimboni

SOLVED!!! Re: Used bike flash - How to tell?
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 05:22:30 PM »
Confirmed that this is indeed a Steve tune. The Evolution Tune to be precise. He offered to update it ... and it is super nice of him to pass this discounted upgrade rate along to this new owner. No brainer.  Thanks for setting me on the right track.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: SOLVED!!! Re: Used bike flash - How to tell?
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »
Confirmed that this is indeed a Steve tune. The Evolution Tune to be precise. He offered to update it ... and it is super nice of him to pass this discounted upgrade rate along to this new owner. No brainer.  Thanks for setting me on the right track.
Steve is great.  His turn-around time is pretty much immediate. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: SOLVED!!! Re: Used bike flash - How to tell?
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »
Steve is great.  His turn-around time is pretty much immediate.

+1

I recommend the upgrade to the Mountain Runner.