Author Topic: THE UTTER FAILURE OF THE POLICE  (Read 12131 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: THE UTTER FAILURE OF THE POLICE
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »
I figure cop's are people like the rest of us and act normally when scared. 

They are supposed to be trained professionals, unlike us.  Interesting you have that perception.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »
I've been pulled over enough times to count on one hand.  Been given paper 3 times... out of those 3 times, I've only had the pleasure of being entertained by one unpleasant LEO... I think he was having a real bad day, since he couldn't spell for, well, he couldn't spell!  My ticket was a joke... looked like a 5 y/o used a Crayon to write it.  :o

And yes... I deserved to be pulled over all 5 times.  8) 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline syntor

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 01:37:23 PM »
I live in a different part of Australia to the original poster.....but it's pretty much how it is here.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 01:57:44 PM »
I would've tazed and sprayed their dumbasses........watch the videos Steve they were taunting the police plenty to deserve that, and they were also breaking campus rules as well. Very few ass whippings, tazing and or spraying from officers are unwarranted....... but those are the few that actually make headlines, not the ones deserved. Like Chris Rock says "OBEY THE LAW".
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 02:42:10 PM »
There is no utter failure of the police. Call them to help with a dead family member, who died in your house, and see how they are.  You'll have officers doing anything and everything to make the situation better, or as good as it coudl possibly be.  No hard nose a-holes allowed.  Yes, we've all met the ones with the little-dick syndrome, but they are few and far between.

When I had a dead family member, I was taken in for questioning and prints.
Just sayin'

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »
As a retired LEO, I can tell you the people in the pic getting sprayed with OC was not the idea of the lone officer. I would bet his boss said to spray em.

I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »
As a retired LEO, I can tell you the people in the pic getting sprayed with OC was not the idea of the lone officer. I would bet his boss said to spray em.
Precisely what happened.  The head of the university approved it before it happened.

The individuals involved were told individually what would happen if they didn't disperse, and were asked if they understood.  There is a video of that happening, but it isn't what gets the news headlines.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline W14

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »
Have not had the bad experiences with the police as the individual who made the original post, have no anxieties when an policeman is behind me. I have been ticketed when caught breaking the law but I also have been given a warning when caught speeding.Based on  the two posts, it appears that the police in Australia may have it in for bikers.

Offline Unclesteve

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 08:10:06 PM »
Let's not forget the tazor and pepper spray abuses when we talk about fail  :-\

all they had to do was walk away.  Hopefully to get a job. We have to pay for them.  Losers...

Offline TXIN

• H-Minus
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
I'm not LEO, but I am military. Being a trained professional does not mean that you don't get scared. It means that hopefully you keep a level head, but there is just no way to train people in such a manner that you know how every cop/soldier is gonna react when they hit that point.

As far as the pepper spray... well, civil disobedience never changed nothing if they didn't get beat up a bit over it. I mean, if the cops let them sit there and didn't p-spray 'em or kick 'em or something, well, that's not much of a protest, is it?  ;)
Squeee!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 11:11:49 PM »
This is what I'm used to seeing about the performance of our police. 

Police dispatch tapes show officers didn't immediately respond to a Berkeley man's call about an intruder before the homeowner was bludgeoned to death with a ceramic pot. There was never a radio call because officers were on standby for an Occupy Oakland march heading toward UC Berkeley.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/03/02/state/n052921S76.DTL

QFT

We end up with OWS stuff in the Arena, but I think this time it is appropriate for the reason Steve posted.  The vast majority of our LEOs are outstanding people doing an almost thankless job.  They are often delayed by criminal activity and acts designed to disrupt, often showing a total lack of concern for the community as a whole.
As a kid I had great concern everytime I saw a marked car, and it was almost nerve wrecking when they pulled in behind me.  I knew I was quilty of something and I never developed the ability to lie very well so I knew I would be busted.  I gave up on learning how to lie and started accepting any risky behaviour may lead to a fine.  Funny thing about that, keeping attitude in check, not trying a lie, and I usually get a warning.  Last ticket I got was pure BS, while preparing to merge onto the freeway the car in front had no concept of matching speed with traffic, the speed limit was 60, he was doing under 40, it was raining out and visibility sucked.  I didn't cross the gore point, waited to the merge point, saw an opening in the next lane, used blinker, and changed lanes.  The truck I was behind was doing 55, I had an opening to the right, changed lanes, sped up to get ahead of him, and then completed the lane change.  Next thing I know I have the lights on my tail, I thought they were for someone else so I pulled off to the center lane so she could get by, I think that ticked her off, her tone on the PA certainly indicated as much.  I finally got over to the far right, shut off the bike, had my license, registration, and proof of insurance in hand and had removed my helmet.  Her first question was if I had seen her, uh, no maam, I asked her what I had done wrong, she said I had hit 80 when I passed the truck and that I had changed lanes several times.  I was ready to offer my reasoning, but she interupted me to say she had seen the slow merger and they were under a Spring Motorcycle emphasis phase.  I knew my goose was cooked when she said I could have killed myself.  She cited me for improper lane change.  I thanked her for her concern, told her to be safe, and have a great day.  I'm sure in her mind she had just saved a reckless rider from killing himself.  I went home, wrote a check and paid the fine, I saw no sense in tying up the court system with a petty ticket.  I had been clean for the last 20+ years, and clean since then.  I chocked it up to other times not caught.
LEOs face potentiall life and death situations each time the make a stop, and after each shooting they get more nervous, a small shot of addrenalin each and every time.  So, try to be understanding, don't lie, theyv'e heard most every one, and accept the ticket.  If you have a true case, go to court, if you are guilty?  Pay up.

PS:  If a LEO ever pulls out the OC can and starts shaking it?  Comply.  If it's the tazer?  Aint much you can do once stuck, so why argue?

When was the last time you (audience here) have walked up to a cop and said thankyou?

RIP Trooper Tony

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 05:35:18 AM »
This is what I'm used to seeing about the performance of our police. 

Police dispatch tapes show officers didn't immediately respond to a Berkeley man's call about an intruder before the homeowner was bludgeoned to death with a ceramic pot. There was never a radio call because officers were on standby for an Occupy Oakland march heading toward UC Berkeley.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/03/02/state/n052921S76.DTL

And this is what I am used to seeing....

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/carolinecrossroads/2012/03/01/deputy-saves-woman-from-burning-house/

I sometimes eat lunch with these guys.  They're in the next county over from me. 

My nephew (deputy in another VA county) has received awards for getting drunks off the road.  In fact, so much so, that I don't drink at all if I know he's working and I'm in the area with family.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 07:09:07 AM »

I sometimes eat lunch with these guys.  They're in the next county over from me. 

Tell em we say thanks!!

My nephew (deputy in another VA county) has received awards for getting drunks off the road.  In fact, so much so, that I don't drink at all if I know he's working and I'm in the area with family.
[/quote]

Good for him, again thanks :thumbs: Old MVA-DWI FUBAR's still give me nightmares.

There are bad apples everywhere, [hey you guys let me play here LOL] including the police, but most don't have a friggin clue how many heroic actions go unnoticed by the citizens.  I can't stand the ones that get a deserved ticket then m-f the police for the rest of their clueless lives.
The police are keeping the lid on a boiling pot everyday.  Be grateful.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »
A few things I might add since this is all about opinions anyway.

1.  Most of us only interact with law enforcement in traffic cop situations.  The VAST majority of instances seems a whole lot more like revenue generation than keeping peace and safety.  When cops hide out and target places they can write the most tickets rather than where they are really going to make a difference in safety, people get annoyed to say the least.

2.  I believe the job attracts personality types that unfortunately don't make good cops anyway.  Who really wants to sit in a cruiser and write tickets all day?  How is that fulfilling?  The only type I can imagine attracted to that line of work are those who get off on pushing people around, big shot kind of guys.  In truth, I honestly believe that is the type that more often that not fills the role.   

3.  When seconds count, the cops are minutes away.  I know it's a cliche' but it's absolutely true.  I have zero faith that when I really need a cop, one will actually be there.  I fully expect that when one does show up, I'll be looked on with eyes that believe I'm guilty unless I can prove otherwise.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 06:57:21 PM »
Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Maybe even a little less .......
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »
Maybe even a little less .......

Much less........more like belly button or ass crack lint.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 06:00:43 AM »

Much less........more like belly button or ass crack lint.

Not even that, the lint takes some effort to collect at least...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 07:10:30 AM »
Precisely what happened.  The head of the university approved it before it happened.

The individuals involved were told individually what would happen if they didn't disperse, and were asked if they understood.  There is a video of that happening, but it isn't what gets the news headlines.
What pissed me off in this instance however was that being sprayed is being punished.
Look at them huddled on the ground all threateningly.
Despite what some say about "the crowd" threatening the LEOs, the crowd is not the ones who are getting sprayed.
These Americans peacefully assembled are being caused pain for no greater reason than for being inconvenient.
If they are blocking entrance to a building then you start arresting them. But as I understand the COTUS the LEOs should not be the ones to initiate the pain and suffering. They struck the first blow. And that is why I believe their actions are illegal.

But what really sucks is that this is an isolated incident that draws a disproportionate amount of coverage.
As MJRFD said
There are bad apples everywhere, [hey you guys let me play here LOL] including the police, but most don't have a friggin clue how many heroic actions go unnoticed by the citizens.  I can't stand the ones that get a deserved ticket then m-f the police for the rest of their clueless lives.
The police are keeping the lid on a boiling pot everyday.  Be grateful.
But that stuff doesn't get the coverage as does the more controversial actions like those of Officer Pike and his superiors.
I disagree with Jworth however.
Most go in for the right reasons, but the job leaves scars. I have an uncle who is a Chief and my mom always said that the job has changed him. Sometimes I think we ask more from these guys (and gals) than anyone can deliver without losing important parts of themselves in the process.
Like their empathy.
'02 C-10

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 08:37:28 AM »
What pissed me off in this instance however was that being sprayed is being punished.
Look at them huddled on the ground all threateningly.
Despite what some say about "the crowd" threatening the LEOs, the crowd is not the ones who are getting sprayed.
These Americans peacefully assembled are being caused pain for no greater reason than for being inconvenient.
If they are blocking entrance to a building then you start arresting them. But as I understand the COTUS the LEOs should not be the ones to initiate the pain and suffering. They struck the first blow. And that is why I believe their actions are illegal.
The crowd was given a lawful order to disperse and refused.  If the pepper spray was "punishment", they would have sprayed them and it would have been over, but that isn't what happened.  They were sprayed and arrested.  This was done for the safety of the officers.  Arresting a non-compliant individual is a difficult task.  People  become more compliant after pepper spray is used.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 10:52:34 AM »
Classic, I just could not refuse.    :stirpot:
Best Police Taser X26 Video Ever