Author Topic: Bar Risers  (Read 11076 times)

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
Re: Bar Risers
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 08:00:05 AM »
<snip>
 Do you find handling to be improved with the bars back at factory specs?

Yes, I feel more connected to the front end with the stock set up, one of the reasons I bought this bike was because I like the way it handles.  It's an individual preference, some of the guys here say they get use to the risers and they don't affect handling.  On long trips, I can scoot around on the seat, and move my feet to different positions on the footpegs and find a comfort zone.  I ordered my Sargent seat with a leather cover, I really believe it is more comfortable than vinyl.  The Corbin is an excellent seat too, it seems to me it is an inch or less lower than the Sargent.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 08:06:19 AM »
The Corbin is an excellent seat too, it seems to me it is an inch or less lower than the Sargent.

My research did not support that the Corbin is lower than the low Sargent.  Although my measurements did prove that the low Sargent is not as low as they claim.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 08:23:01 AM »
My research did not support that the Corbin is lower than the low Sargent.  Although my measurements did prove that the low Sargent is not as low as they claim.

Corbin say's - 31.25"
Sargent say's - 32.1" regular, 30.7 low, 30.9 low gel

It doesn't appear that Corbin claims to be lower than either of the Sargent low seat offerings.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 08:59:54 AM »
Corbin say's - 31.25"

It doesn't appear that Corbin claims to be lower than either of the Sargent low seat offerings.

Exactly.   But when I measured (on the bike), their claim of 1.375" lower than stock turned out to be 0.875" lower.  A variance of 1/2".  But even then, it is still lower than the claimed Corbin height.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.msg1998#msg1998
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 09:02:08 AM »
Corbin say's - 31.25"

Corbin can make the seat lower if one wants, they custom make each seat per order. I had them do a deep dish cut and nose job on mine and it put it down about another 1" lower than the normal Corbin height...

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »
Kewl- nice to meet a fellow "distort" :)   I am 5'7", but have like a 28" inseam.  Like you, I have a long torso and short legs/arms.  There is no way I could ride the Concours without bar risers (and also bike/seat lowering).  Even the Heli's are not far back enough for me so I am kinda stuck (I am eyeing those wedges things, hoping that little extra will help).
Yeah, if I could just take two inches off of my torso and add them to my legs, I think this bike (and so many others) would fit so much better. I've never been able to flat-foot any bike that I've owned (no, I've never owned a cruiser).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
Yeah, if I could just take two inches off of my torso and add them to my legs, I think this bike (and so many others) would fit so much better. I've never been able to flat-foot any bike that I've owned (no, I've never owned a cruiser).

I can't even flat foot the C-14 after lowering it an inch, lowering the seat an inch, and raising my boots an inch.   Couldn't with my last bike either.  It really is very irritating that all the real bikes (AKA- non-cruisers) seem to be built for long-legged/armed people.

Short legged (and armed) people of the world UNITE and fight your oppression!!   :o

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »
It's gonna be a tough call for me re: the bars, (and also the seat between a regular height Sargent and Corbin.)  I just got back from a 120 mile loop with my my wife.  I love having my wife with me but I really don't like 2-up riding.  I've been doing for many years, but much prefer to pilot with a passenger:)  But I digress....

Around this part of Texas, there just aren't enough nice curvy roads to really give the bike a work out but it was a nice 4 hour ride to brunch and back cruise on some black top.  I kept trying to imagine myself with the bars 2"s lower and it seemed like a long way down :-\
Yet I still also feel like I'm not sitting on the bike the way it was intended with this much rise and I actually feel like my hands aren't positioned as comfortably as they are on the stock height.  I may have to break down and rent a C14 for a 200 mile  ride with the stock bars before I go to the hassle of taking them off, only to decide I need them on even at the small sacrifice in handling given the lack of easily available twisty backroads close by.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »
It's gonna be a tough call for me re: the bars, (and also the seat between a regular height Sargent and Corbin.)  I just got back from a 120 mile loop with my my wife.  I love having my wife with me but I really don't like 2-up riding.  I've been doing for many years, but much prefer to pilot with a passenger:)  But I digress....

Around this part of Texas, there just aren't enough nice curvy roads to really give the bike a work out but it was a nice 4 hour ride to brunch and back cruise on some black top.  I kept trying to imagine myself with the bars 2"s lower and it seemed like a long way down :-\
Yet I still also feel like I'm not sitting on the bike the way it was intended with this much rise and I actually feel like my hands aren't positioned as comfortably as they are on the stock height.  I may have to break down and rent a C14 for a 200 mile  ride with the stock bars before I go to the hassle of taking them off, only to decide I need them on even at the small sacrifice in handling given the lack of easily available twisty backroads close by.

OK, Conhardcore, this is a little off subject, but you opened the door.  8)

There are probably more "twisty roads" around you than you know about. Just have to search them out. For instance, since you're in the DFW area, go down to Granbury and take Hwy 4 all the way back up to Palo Pinto. It's really, REALLY twisty betwen I-20 and Palo Pinto!! (Had my only "off road experience" there. I highly discourage anyone from getting off of a moving motorcycle! The Palo Pinto County paramedics are some great folks though.  :-[ ) From there, just take 180 back east through Mineral Wells and Weatherford, then I-20 home.

If you've got the time, from Palo Pinto take 180 west over to Caddo and head south towards Ranger on 717, but cut off on 207 back east to Strawn. Go to Mary's and get yourself a huge chicken fried steak, then take 108 east through Mingus and Gordon (where it changes to 193) on your way back to I-20 and back to the MetroMess.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »
Yet I still also feel like I'm not sitting on the bike the way it was intended with this much rise and I actually feel like my hands aren't positioned as comfortably as they are on the stock height.  I may have to break down and rent a C14 for a 200 mile  ride with the stock bars before I go to the hassle of taking them off, only to decide I need them on even

??  Perhaps I am missing something here.  You appear to be grossly overestimating the complexity of installing and removing the handlerbar risers.  I think it took me about 10 min to install.  Why would you go to the hassle and expense of renting a C14?  Just take 10 to 15 min and take them off and see!

Edit- could it be that you don't have the stock bolts anymore (or were not delivered with them)?  That would be a valid "gotcha".  Even so, just order the stock bolts... they are a good thing to have around.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »
Yeah, if you can pick up some stock length bolts from the Kawi dealer, the install/uninstall for bar risers is a snap. With 2" rise, you probably have a bracket or something to relocate the clutch line junction (some have enough slack, but mine didn't). Put that back and bolt the bars back on and you're good to go. Probably takes five minutes and some of that is getting your tools out of the box.

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 06:39:33 AM »
I don't have the stock bolts but I'm hoping the dealer that installed them before I picked the bike up still has them.  I'll check with him tomorrow.  Happy Independence Day!

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011, 06:46:42 AM »
OK, Conhardcore, this is a little off subject, but you opened the door.  8)

There are probably more "twisty roads" around you than you know about. Just have to search them out. For instance, since you're in the DFW area, go down to Granbury and take Hwy 4 all the way back up to Palo Pinto. It's really, REALLY twisty betwen I-20 and Palo Pinto!! (Had my only "off road experience" there. I highly discourage anyone from getting off of a moving motorcycle! The Palo Pinto County paramedics are some great folks though.  :-[ ) From there, just take 180 back east through Mineral Wells and Weatherford, then I-20 home.

If you've got the time, from Palo Pinto take 180 west over to Caddo and head south towards Ranger on 717, but cut off on 207 back east to Strawn. Go to Mary's and get yourself a huge chicken fried steak, then take 108 east through Mingus and Gordon (where it changes to 193) on your way back to I-20 and back to the MetroMess.

You're right Wally and I've been over a bit or what you mention here but not all.   It will be my next day ride.  Thanks!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »
I don't have the stock bolts but I'm hoping the dealer that installed them before I picked the bike up still has them.  I'll check with him tomorrow.

Drat.  Well, if they don't have them, just order some.  I can't imagine they would be all that expensive (although sometimes I am surprised).

Happy Independence Day!

You too!