Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 852786 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3180 on: August 16, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »
Opps- my mistake, it was the rear tire. It is especially obvious too because the final drive hub is shown clearly in his photo.  :-[

And yes, a 1/4" extension is not all that big but still, it is sizable, blunt on one end and blunter on the other, and I just cannot imagine driving the female end through the tire. Of course I believe that is what happened, it is just amazing to me that that happened. And the tire closed over the extension to 1) prevent it from going all the way into the tire (so it was actually inside the tire and wheel, loose) and 2) it sealed well enough to ride miles w/out going flat.

Overall, color me impressed. Even Kirby seems surprised. Mr. Elkhoof claims that that happens all the time in the far western states but with 3/4" extensions but methinks he exaggerates.....

Brian

Well, I don't think that is what happened. Bob said he felt it in the front end, but it was the rear tire that got punctured correct?
I mean he felt it when he ran over it with the front wheel which then popped it up off the ground and then rear wheel came along and both from bike weight and the power driving of the rear wheel forced it through the tire. Correct?
Granted the large end of a 1/4 inch extension is about .475" +/- ? but that's only .100" larger than the flat ended 3/8" machine bolt that I pushed through mine.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3181 on: August 16, 2018, 08:29:42 PM »

So that photo and story will just have go into the 'I saw it and yet still cannot believe it can be done' category. Sort of like Jerry Miculek in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw  I have watched that video a number of times and am still sure that it just cannot be done even after seeing it.  :o :yikes:

Brian

sorry for the HiJack.... post removed, in order to keep on track about bikes...

i do agree tho B, he is a phenominal shooter..
peace out, sorry for the Hi Jack
ride safe,
carry on.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:13:15 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3182 on: August 17, 2018, 02:55:23 AM »
OFFTOPIC:

Nope, did not attend that one.

To the best of my knowledge, and with no offense to anyone, Jerry Miculek holds the record for a double- cylinder firing of a 'standard' revolver with 12 shots, all ringing the plate (at, I believe 7 meters) in under 3 seconds. As I said before, I have seen it and still doubt its authenticity (not really, just pointing out that I would not / did not believe a human could do that).

This is not a unique thing with him: he often, almost casually, does the impossible with firearms. There are almost endless videos of the man performing, and all that I have seen range between outright impressive to downright impossible (such as 12 rounds, with a reload, out of a side swing-out revolver in 2.99 seconds per the video he posted).

I am a fair action pistol shooter. Used to be a pretty good bullseye (slow fire) pistol shooter. But never in my wildest dreams can I approach the pure skill level of that man. He is a bit younger than I am but I would never even try to use that as even a flimsy excuse: Mr. Miculek is simply fantastically good at what he does. And he often says what his 'secret' is: first one on the range in the morning, last one to leave at night. In other words, shoot more, shoot better. The man cleans .223 (5.56 NATO if you prefer) brass in a CEMENT MIXER, several shovel- fulls at a time! Put simply, he shoots A LOT.

And the man is by no means limited to revolvers or even handguns: he is outstanding with self- loading pistols, long guns of many types and descriptions and for all I know, light artillery :-). Seriously, he is supremely skilled. BTW, so is his daughter, holding nearly as many records in shooting as Mr. Miculek himself..... again, a case of natural ability combined with a LOT (read: A really LOT) of shooting time, with Dad as her guide and tutor.

I personally think of him as the 'Ted Williams' of the handgun shooting world. And I am truly grateful he is with us and there is a lot of video of him performing on such a level as to seem unbelievable...... but then again, he can do 'it' again, at will.

Brian

didn't you come down the the Natural Bridge rally we had, back in (?) ?

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3183 on: August 17, 2018, 11:47:22 AM »
Just a reminder of where to find it guys: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=13.0

In an effort to get us back on topic, I went into my garage and looked at my C14. It's still there.  :D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3184 on: August 17, 2018, 12:37:47 PM »
Right Marty- we were talking about the most popular socket drive extensions found in C-14 rear tires IIRC.

:D

Brian

Just a reminder of where to find it guys: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=13.0

In an effort to get us back on topic, I went into my garage and looked at my C14. It's still there.  :D

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3185 on: August 17, 2018, 05:19:08 PM »

sorry.
I ditched my post.

what did I do to my Concours today?
I bumped into it, getting to my workbench in the garage, to get some string. :'( ;D
all my 1/4" socket extensions are intact, in their respective kits.  ::)
carry on....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3186 on: August 17, 2018, 06:01:23 PM »
Mine's still there too.
But I took the C-10 out for a ride..

Felt good to ride it too!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Impster

« Reply #3187 on: August 18, 2018, 08:44:06 PM »
Installed T-Rex lowering links and adjustable kickstand.

Extracted and replaced broken bolt in lower triple tree. Ugh... are the OEM bolts made of lead or something? That's three hours I'll never get back.

But, rear is lower by an inch, forks have been moved up a an inch and a quarter in the trees and sag has been reset.

The initial ride showed no real difference in ride quality. Maybe just a slight bit easier on turn in, but not really noticeable.

At least I can flat foot when stopped now. That will make life easier with the upcoming ankle fusion.

Chuck
----
2016 Concourse 14 (Black), Corbin seat, Murph's risers, T-Rex lowering links and kickstand

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3188 on: August 18, 2018, 08:51:50 PM »
Why are you getting your ankle fused?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3189 on: August 19, 2018, 09:12:25 AM »
That is truly unbelievable Bob. ?? ?? I cannot imagine how that thing got through the tire from either side (inside or outside). Frankly, that is amazing.

It would seem that it almost <had> to come into the tire from the outside because without the bike's weight 'helping' push it in (Easy Boys!) I cannot see how enough force could be generated on that extension to drive it through from the inside. That said, I am having a hard time imagining that that thing was sticking up from the road, got caught between the rolling front tire and the road, and them managed to be driven into and through the tire without you noticing something odd such as the bike acting like you hit a speed bump, or making a sudden 'stage- left' or 'stage- right' exit or something.

It is also surprising that riding did not drive the extension back into the inside of the tire, effectively giving you almost instant tire deflation.

So that photo and story will just have go into the 'I saw it and yet still cannot believe it can be done' category. Sort of like Jerry Miculek in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw  I have watched that video a number of times and am still sure that it just cannot be done even after seeing it.  :o :yikes:

Brian

I've now entered the twighlight zone. As much as I hate to admit it I now think MOB was right. I now believe the extension came out from the inside. I just changed my tire as the FedEx dude delivered a T30 last night. Wait til you see what I found inside the flat tire. :stirpot:  Give me a few minutes, phone is charging.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3190 on: August 19, 2018, 09:36:27 AM »
look familiar:

It is not the one I pulled out of the tread! :yikes:
identical except the tip is not scuffed up from hitting pavement

This was not an accident :censored:

I am completely at a loss.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3191 on: August 19, 2018, 09:48:35 AM »
look familiar:

It is not the one I pulled out of the tread! :yikes:
identical except the tip is not scuffed up from hitting pavement

This was not an accident :censored:

I am completely at a loss.

DynaBeads DynaExtensions? I guess it explains why it wasn't noticeably out of balance. ;D

Now really Bob, think back, who actually was the one to mount that tire in the first place?

After further review....
soooooo... back in time, when that puppy dropped into the tire, before mounting it... and never made an effect till it poked thru from the inside (which it looks like it physically did), banging around/sliding around, prior to wedging up for the great ''finale'...

wow.
when ya pealed the carcass of, did the tps look banged Up?

DUDE, this goes down in the annals of COG tire history...
...judges have declared...WINNER!  :chugbeer: :thumbs:  :goodpost:

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3192 on: August 19, 2018, 02:22:40 PM »
Any damage to the inside of the wheel? The other end of that extension had to have been up against the inside of the wheel to push it thru the tire.

Any damage to the TPS?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3193 on: August 19, 2018, 04:02:07 PM »
Yep, this whole thing is just strange.....  Still, I cannot think of any way enough force could be generated to force the extension from inside through the tire. ?? I mean no matter what you did with the bike, that extension would just glance off the tire, the wheel or both and kinda' rattle around in there. It would never have enough velocity, perpendicular to the tire, to actually punch its way through, at least as far as I can imagine. ??

Besides that,  I would think you would have heard it, felt it rattling around on starting off and stopping and lastly, it would throw the tire out of balance enough that you would have noticed the shake at highway speeds.

Not saying you are wrong Bob because still, I really cannot think of any logical way that happened, just that coming through from the inside seems even more implausible than punching through from the outside; at least going through the tire from the outside you have the weight of both you and the bike forcing it. Starting from the inside, there is nothing but inertia and even that would never be at 90 degrees to the tire.

Brian

I've now entered the twighlight zone. As much as I hate to admit it I now think MOB was right. I now believe the extension came out from the inside. I just changed my tire as the FedEx dude delivered a T30 last night. Wait til you see what I found inside the flat tire. :stirpot:  Give me a few minutes, phone is charging.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3194 on: August 19, 2018, 04:08:07 PM »
Any damage to the inside of the wheel? The other end of that extension had to have been up against the inside of the wheel to push it thru the tire.

Any damage to the TPS?
I cleaned the inside of the wheel throughly. I did not see any damage to the inside of the wheel or the TPS, TPS is working fine. 

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3195 on: August 19, 2018, 04:20:38 PM »
Full disclosure. I do own a Duralast 1/4 inch extension kit from Autozone. When MOB made his post suggesting I dropped mine in the tire before mounting it I checked my tool box.. The long and the medium were in there, not the shorty. BUT, I do not own two short extensions. At least not before today. :nuts:

In my opinion it is highly improbable that I dropped a 1/4 extension in my tire, but possible. But the odds of two getting inside the tire by ANY means is just absurdly redonkulous.

The Avon 190/50 17 was delivered to me on June 26. I did not mount it until July 22. 4 weeks for mischief.  I need an exorcist. I have a wrenchmonkey poltergeist haunting my garage.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3196 on: August 19, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »
the height of a 190/50 tire properly infalted and unweighted would be about 2.75 inches Add roughly another inch for the drop center, 3.75  would be the spsce between the wheel and the tread. No major bump, just rolling weight I guess the tire deflect about an inch, back down to 2.75,as Brain says. no way to exert any force with the 2 inch extension to puncture the tread. UNLESS the two 2 inch extensioms line up perfectly after bouncing around for 4500 miles. 

Sorry, I'm just wandering around here in the Twighlight Zone :-[

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3197 on: August 19, 2018, 08:44:08 PM »
Who mounted the tire?

Maybe both extensions were connected together when it punctured the tire from the outside and they disconnected after entering the tire? That seems even more far fetched than the idea that they were both in the tire from the beginning. Got a real head scratcher here!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3198 on: August 19, 2018, 08:55:52 PM »
I mounted the tire myself. Been doing my own for 40+ years

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3199 on: August 19, 2018, 08:57:55 PM »
Every possible scenario is extremely far fetched.