Author Topic: Finally got my first nail in a tire ever  (Read 11025 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Finally got my first nail in a tire ever
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 07:39:49 AM »
What am I doing wrong? I've only been riding since 2004 and I've had at least 6 nails/screws/flats. All but one successfully plugged at the scene of the flat and the tire ridden until the tread worn to the wear bars.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »
I heard all the same stories about the risks to self and bike about "to plug/repair or replace the tire".  Although, each scenario is different due to various variables, I got my 1st nail on my 2011, that had a newer back tire (under 2000 miles). I needed self proof about plugging a tire.
I bought a plug kit from WalMart, did some research and got a portable compressor. 
I plugged the tire, aired it up, rode up and down my block, extended my range to some local neighborhood rides, then short freeway rides and then back to regular riding. Tire has gone another 10,000 miles and now its ready for replacement.

My self proof, No issues what so ever! It worked for me but your mileage may vary.
I now carry the plug package and compressor when I go on rides with the guys, for there unlikely need and benefit! 
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 08:51:35 PM »
Well, add me to the list.  I just discovered my first nail in a tire, ever.  I went to ride this morning and when I uncovered the bike, I noticed what looked like a white line on the rear tire's tread (of my practically new PR4GT).  I looked closer, and it looked like a large staple.  I went and got some pliers and pulled on it to discover it was a steel nail with no head!  I wonder how long that had been in there???

I carefully pulled it out- it was embedded at a very acute angle, about 3/4" into the tire.  Surprising how much force it took to remove and how "sticky" the tire is.  No air loss and no leaking, even after 100+ miles today.  I am not sure if I should be worried or not.... I suppose not.
I think this was nail 200 for me...
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 02:59:47 PM »
You know, I've been riding since 1995 or so and the Indian is the only bike I've received punctures (2) on the rear tire.  Thank goodness for TPMS as the checking of tire pressures is a PITA on that bike.  I've plugged them both and they are holding so far.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
You know, I've been riding since 1995 or so and the Indian is the only bike I've received punctures (2) on the rear tire.  Thank goodness for TPMS as the checking of tire pressures is a PITA on that bike.  I've plugged them both and they are holding so far.

Heh, yeah, well, just don't take her above anything over about 120.

Oh, wait ... you can't!!!

:P  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 06:40:08 PM »
Actually the estimated top speed is 125 mph.  I've only had the C14 up to 100 mph.  Not exceeding speed limits by much these days.  Not going to do it.  Not prudent.  And especially not on Dunlops.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 11:24:15 PM »
Statistically you are more likely to get a puncture to a rear tyre than a front tyre.
This is because the object is (generally) lying flat when the front hits it, it then gets thrown up and starts tumbling so there is a good chance of the pointy bit hitting the rear.

This is also more likely to happen in a rainstorm as water acts as a lubricant.

(I was told this many years ago during a tour of the Avon tyre factory)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 04:05:45 AM »
Actually the estimated top speed is 125 mph.  I've only had the C14 up to 100 mph.  Not exceeding speed limits by much these days.  Not going to do it.  Not prudent.  And especially not on Dunlops.

I was very muchly not being prudent on a long stretch of empty road yesterday.    :-X

Cause if it had a set of wings man I know she could fly    :cool:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 02:02:03 AM »

Of which Dunlops do you speak?
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 04:28:35 AM »
Elite3 I think..  Once they're worn out then Elite4.  Don't have much of a choice with tires..  They're not bad tires per se but they aren't PR's.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 05:07:06 AM »
Elite3 I think..  Once they're worn out then Elite4.  Don't have much of a choice with tires..  They're not bad tires per se but they aren't PR's.

Them's Harley tires aren't they?

Offline Summit670

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 06:05:10 AM »
Good point about water acting as lube for punctures. 

I avoid riding in middle of lane.  That is where all the crap, nails, boards, etc, eventually end up.   

I agree, every puncture is unique and each rider has to make thei own decision th plug, patch or replace based upon the puncture type.

Personally, I have used plugs on my mc, truck, trailer and atv without one failure.  Gotta have a sturdy plug insertion tool because some tires require plenty of force to ream and insert. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 08:18:59 AM »
my record is 5 in one year (IIRC my mileage that year was about 28k).

4 in the rear and one up front, cant remember how many times it was wet though lol

2 of the rears were replaced under Avons Road Safety warranty as the punctures occurred in the first 1mm of wear  (actually one of them was closer to 2mm but the area rep asked my spanner man if I was a regular Avon customer.....

Not going to say how many miles since my last puncture in case I jinx myself!!!
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 11:36:36 AM »
Statistically you are more likely to get a puncture to a rear tyre than a front tyre.
This is because the object is (generally) lying flat when the front hits it, it then gets thrown up and starts tumbling so there is a good chance of the pointy bit hitting the rear.

This is also more likely to happen in a rainstorm as water acts as a lubricant.

(I was told this many years ago during a tour of the Avon tyre factory)
566,000 lifetime miles I have never gotten a puncture in a front tire. Estimate about 25 rear tire punctures.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »
566,000 lifetime miles I have never gotten a puncture in a front tire. Estimate about 25 rear tire punctures.
In my thirteen years riding for the department, I only got one puncture in a front tire.  It was on an old school Kawasaki KZ1000.  I was clearing a crash on I-680 in Milpitas, CA, and luckily, it had gone flat before I started riding.  Not wanting to wait for a tow truck, I rode it with a flat front across town to the dealership for a new tire.  A little dodgy for sure, but I was young, impatient and stupid.   :nuts: :loco:
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 03:24:21 PM »
Although I have never had a front puncture I did have a front blowout not to long after I got the Concours 14. Came over the crest of a blind right hander and there was a chunk of concrete the size of a softball. I ran right over it and the low pressure warning immediately came on. A big dent. I figured the rim and tire were toast so I just road the 5 miles home (rural back roads) at about 15 mph.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 08:23:37 PM »
Them's Harley tires aren't they?

Not necessarily Pinkerbell.  I ran Elites on my 'Kawasaki Voyager XII'.  There are other MC brands that run them as well such GoldWings, Victories, etc...  I can go on if you wish.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 05:06:26 AM »
 :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 06:10:55 AM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2018, 08:28:06 AM »
The diameter of the nail is 3mm.   I was angry after I pulled it out and didn't remember take a photo of it before removal.

Not that it matters, but while cleaning up today, I found the nail.  I wanted a pic in the tire, but this is all I have now.   Probably 300 more miles and there is still no air loss.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc