Author Topic: New Member, New to me 2012 C14  (Read 1105 times)

Offline RushRat

New Member, New to me 2012 C14
« on: July 22, 2020, 02:46:37 AM »
Hello all

I just purchased a 2012 C14 with 7000 miles that has been sitting dormant inside a garage for 4 years!

Its time to do some MUCH needed maintenance! It still has the original tires with a 3611 build date!  :o

I am doing a major fluid flush Thursday. Coolant, Brakes, Final drive, Oil. This will get me familiarized with this machine!

I am a former FJR1300 rider, Known as "GalaxyBlue" on the Fjrforum. I bought my 2005 FJR new and enjoyed many miles and met some great people along the way. I sold my FJR 2015 because I "thought" I wanted a cruiser... I bought a Victory Cross Country Tour. Great bike for a cruiser, But quickly realized that this wasn't the right move. I held onto it for 3 years, And sold it to a guy in Australia who shipped it back. I guess those Aussies love American iron!

So this brings me up to this Connie. I've always looked at these bikes as something I'd love to have, Just couldn't justify upgrading from the FJR. Now I have a C14, And know essentially nothing about it. Logic should have kicked in and bought a new FJR. I wanted something different. I'll say this much, After riding it 40 miles (on old tires, oil,ect...Bad idea), This is no FJR. It feels MUCH stronger than I remember my FJR being. I'll report back after a proper break in ride Thursday afternoon or Friday.

ps... Any OG FJR people here? I'd love to connect with some familiar people from years past.

Adam

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0jy412mxrnz_6DZsuW7KmBsOQ#26F363F0-C3F3-419E-A3CB-D0103926BAB0

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: New Member, New to me 2012 C14
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:05:19 AM »
Glad you're here as well as the other new members!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:49:41 AM »
Welcome Adam. ;D
Yer right, she's quite different from the FJR.

The motor is generally stronger but especially from 6000rpm up.
The fairing gives more protection as well and the handling and braking are sublime for an ST behemoth.
The negatives are the saddle, which is awful and as with most ST bikes, the OEM screen is mostly useless unless yer under 5'2",... and then you can't reach the ground due to the 815mm seat height.  :rotflmao:

Once you have the screen and saddle to your liking you can fine tune the rest of it, but she'll do fast or slow, straight or twisty, cruise or banzai, and be better at it than you are (unless you are Colin Edwards).
Better still, once you get used to it, send the ECU off to get it flashed and gain an even stronger bottom end to mid-range with a little extra top end power.
The flash transformed mine from a Bucking Colt to an Arabian Charger. Fast and smooooth! :-)

Ditch the BT021's and get some real tyres on there.
Plenty of recommendations on here.
Most go with the Pirelli Angel GT2 or the Michelin Road 5GT.

Enjoy!  :finger_fing11:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline O.C.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 11:10:19 PM »
Welcome along Adam, after your initial familiarisation you will love your new bike, this forum is a great resource for those unanswered questions 

Ride safe and enjoy 
  8)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650