Author Topic: front wheel removal 2008 C14  (Read 6824 times)

Offline spotcw

• It is...what it is
front wheel removal 2008 C14
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »
I'm having a hard time loosening the front axel nut. Is is standard thread; righty tighty and lefty loosy? Or reverse thread? Thanks. Bill
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:10:02 PM by spotcw »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: front wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:45:19 PM »
Yep, a right- hand thread and righty- tighty applies.

Try loosening just the right side axle pinch bolts while leaving the left side axle pinch bolts tight and then loosen the axle by unscrewing the right side. All directions given are in the direction that the bike travels in (throttle on the right, clutch on the left). The front axle is pretty snug and will require some force to break it loose, especially the first time.

Brian

I'm having a hard time loosening the front axel nut. Is is standard thread; righty tighty and lefty loosy? Or reverse thread? Thanks. Bill
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline nyconcours

Re: front wheel removal 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »
You have to make sure you have the loosen the pinch bolts on the side you are working on.  You will spend days thinking something is wrong with the pinch bolts tight.

Offline Conrad

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Toaster

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:10:21 PM »
Just did an R&R front tire myself (first time). The axle bolt take quite a lot of force to loosen. I took the axle bolt off from the right side and only loosened the pitch bolts from that side till bolt came loose.
Good Luck

Offline spotcw

• It is...what it is
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 09:55:34 AM »
Thanks for the info it wasn't hard at all once I made a tool to remove the front axle bolt.

Offline Toaster

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
I used 9/16 bolt and locked 2 nuts on the bolt with loctite. The nut is 22 mm

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 10:47:01 AM »
A Craftsman 13/16" spark plug socket fits perfectly. Just put a 3/8" drive 3" long extension through the socket (the 'wrong' way or backwards) so the external hex of the socket is facing away from the ratchet or breaker bar and viola! you have a correctly working, correctly fitting tool for something like $4.

Brian

Thanks for the info it wasn't hard at all once I made a tool to remove the front axle bolt.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com