Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 456394 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #1680 on: November 14, 2017, 11:02:08 AM »
I grew up in suburbia and there was a Sears store around 'always' about 15 miles away, and when I was 12 they built a mall, with Sears as the 'anchor' store, in the city I lived in. So we too had a lot of Sears stuff around, some clothes but not all that much but lots of appliances, yard tools and so forth.

And I did not think of it that way but you are right; Sears, Roebuck and Co. absolutely was the nation's retailer through catalog sales for many years before moving so heavily into retail. And eventually actually stopping catalog sales entirely. But the Internet came along and spurred on more changes and it seems that Sears just could not adjust far enough, fast enough.

Brian

I remember Sears and Montgomery Wards vying for the suburban mall dollar. Wards went the way that K-Mart is going, and likely Sears.

Kinda interesting, though -- I remember hearing the "death knell" of Sears back 20 years ago when I lived near Hoffman Estates, IL -- HQ of Sears. I suppose they've been able to juggle their holdings and shut down a few non-producing stores, but here we are again.

Walmart is completely cutthroat and relentless. They are notorious for bullying their suppliers.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1681 on: November 14, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »
Haven't shopped at a Sears in over thirty years. A good friend of the family had the last name of Sears. Had been in business for twenty plus years using his last name as part of the business name. Sears and Roebuck sent their army of fning lawyers after him to make him quit using his name in the business. Will not be missed be me.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1682 on: November 14, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »
Haven't shopped at a Sears in over thirty years. A good friend of the family had the last name of Sears. Had been in business for twenty plus years using his last name as part of the business name. Sears and Roebuck sent their army of fning lawyers after him to make him quit using his name in the business. Will not be missed be me.

http://www.nissan.com/

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1683 on: November 14, 2017, 03:27:05 PM »

LOL!  Yep, good example.

Anyway, Sears USED to be a place I could go to get QUALITY tools and appliances.  That disappeared, and so now I haven't set foot in a Sears for many years.  I think we only have a few left now where I live.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1684 on: November 14, 2017, 06:04:23 PM »
Same f'up deal. Jerry fought in the courts til his finances ran out. Had to change his business name.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1685 on: November 14, 2017, 06:20:36 PM »
I worked for a company named 'Grainger Manufacturing'. They were founded in 1973 and ended up being about a 200 person company by the time I was employed there.

Very shortly after I arrived, the much, much bigger company named W.W. Grainger changed their company name and dropped the 'W.W.' to become just "Grainger", as they are today. And they launched a lawsuit against Grainger Mfg. to prevent them from using the name 'Grainger'. Most of us, as well as the two owners (named Grainger, brothers) thought this was unfounded and unfair. And so they were going at it with lawyers, setting up court dates, etc. and those of us who would represent the company (Grainger Manufacturing), were confident that we would prevail because we were in the right. One day while talking with the owner, he stated to me that 1) they would not get all the way to court because if they did, they would lose because the 'other' Grainger was so much bigger. What they were squabbling about in the legal system was the right to maintain the Grainger name though they knew it would have to be altered somewhat. So eventually Grainger Manufacturing became Alpha Grainger and the 'other' Grainger is still Grainger. It ain't fair, and it ain't right, but it is so. And the very pragmatic owners of Grainger Manufacturing knew it was going to go that way all the time, and were merely fighting to maintain the word 'Grainger' anywhere in the name, not maintain it as it was.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1686 on: November 14, 2017, 07:07:04 PM »
I worked for a company named 'Grainger Manufacturing'. They were founded in 1973 and ended up being about a 200 person company by the time I was employed there.

Very shortly after I arrived, the much, much bigger company named W.W. Grainger changed their company name and dropped the 'W.W.' to become just "Grainger", as they are today. And they launched a lawsuit against Grainger Mfg. to prevent them from using the name 'Grainger'. Most of us, as well as the two owners (named Grainger, brothers) thought this was unfounded and unfair. And so they were going at it with lawyers, setting up court dates, etc. and those of us who would represent the company (Grainger Manufacturing), were confident that we would prevail because we were in the right. One day while talking with the owner, he stated to me that 1) they would not get all the way to court because if they did, they would lose because the 'other' Grainger was so much bigger. What they were squabbling about in the legal system was the right to maintain the Grainger name though they knew it would have to be altered somewhat. So eventually Grainger Manufacturing became Alpha Grainger and the 'other' Grainger is still Grainger. It ain't fair, and it ain't right, but it is so. And the very pragmatic owners of Grainger Manufacturing knew it was going to go that way all the time, and were merely fighting to maintain the word 'Grainger' anywhere in the name, not maintain it as it was.

Brian

Almost makes me understand the term "going postal".

And I'm not a violent person; I just like to argue online with Max about what a cruise control is and the definition of sport tourer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1687 on: November 14, 2017, 08:46:53 PM »
I've got cruise on my Indian and it's the best cruise of any vehicle I've ever owned.   Used it quite a bit today.   Went to the Best of British in Hampton, VA and scarfed up food I haven't had in years.  Also picked up a few poppies and donated to the Royal British Legion.  One might say this really hasn't much to do with this thread of crazy and annoyed but it's my thread and I'm ok with it.  Nothing happened on the trip to make me crazy and annoyed.

Whoa, wait a minute!   Something did happen.   Stopped in a gas station in Tappahannock and the damn pump wouldn't take my card.  Of course this is after getting off the bike, taking the gloves off, and fishing out the credit card.  MF's I say and go on to Port Royal and pull into a Gulf.  Get off the bike, take the gloves off, fish out the card and look at the pump and it says wait a minute please.  WTF, not again.  I need the gas so I go to another pump at the same station and all is well.  I really have to look at those pump displays before I even get off the bike.  This really does make me f'n crazy.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1688 on: November 15, 2017, 03:42:45 AM »
Damn....talk about first world problems.... ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1689 on: November 15, 2017, 06:30:07 AM »
Yep.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1690 on: November 15, 2017, 08:25:22 AM »
One owner was pi$$ed, as was I but the other brother just did not get emotional about it at all. Just part of doing business, and he believed it was going to go that way from the word go (that the 'other' Grainger would prevail simply because they were the much larger company).

Besides, there were plenty of other, far more enraging, issues to deal with. Got to save up one's adrenaline for when it is really needed..... :-)

Brian

Almost makes me understand the term "going postal".

And I'm not a violent person; I just like to argue online with Max about what a cruise control is and the definition of sport tourer.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1691 on: December 16, 2017, 05:43:21 PM »
Have you ever stayed at a hotel with the heater/ac below the window and when it comes on it blows the curtains out and all the hot/cold air goes behind the curtains and not much comes into the room? I've got to put my brief case in the window to hold the curtains back from blocking the airflow.   I'd like to choke the you know what out of the idiot that came up with that design scheme.

Yes, Gary, I know.....First World Problems indeed.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1692 on: December 16, 2017, 06:07:50 PM »
 :rotflmao: actually, it's the picture of you packing a briefcase with the sword that I find amusing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1693 on: December 16, 2017, 06:10:25 PM »
I am quite civilized you know.   :rotflmao:    I haven't used that case in years and I just happened to bring it with me on this trip, thank goodness.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1694 on: December 16, 2017, 06:50:20 PM »
What makes me crazy and annoyed..

Christmas shopping.

But yay!  Done!  One trip, one store, earplugs (music), 4 hours, $600!  :)

Now I have to wrap it all :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1695 on: December 17, 2017, 05:51:35 AM »
Christmas shopping.

But yay!  Done!  One trip, one store, earplugs (music), 4 hours, $600!  :)

Now I have to wrap it all :(

You really didn't have to spend so much time picking out our gifts Max! As impressionable as they are we don't mind cash or gift cards you know?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1696 on: December 17, 2017, 06:01:54 AM »
You really didn't have to spend so much time picking out our gifts Max! As impressionable as they are we don't mind cash or gift cards you know?

I don't like gift cards.  There is no point in two people giving each other $50 (or whatever amount) gift cards- they just cancel each other out.  No real work or thought goes into them, there is no risk, no surprise, no fun.  Might as well just not do anything but exchange nice, $0.50 Christmas cards!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1697 on: December 17, 2017, 06:57:15 AM »
I don't like gift cards.  There is no point in two people giving each other $50 (or whatever amount) gift cards- they just cancel each other out.  No real work or thought goes into them, there is no risk, no surprise, no fun. Might as well just not do anything but exchange nice, $0.50 Christmas cards!

BINGO!!! Give the man a cigar.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1698 on: December 17, 2017, 07:44:38 AM »
I don't like gift cards.  There is no point in two people giving each other $50 (or whatever amount) gift cards- they just cancel each other out.  No real work or thought goes into them, there is no risk, no surprise, no fun.  Might as well just not do anything but exchange nice, $0.50 Christmas cards!

Hmmm, that's strange. I don't recall saying anything about getting you a gift.   ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1699 on: December 17, 2017, 07:47:08 AM »
BINGO!!! Give the man a cigar.

Did you say cigar?