Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 455625 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #1800 on: February 27, 2018, 04:18:07 PM »
Well, the whole 'make them use the bus and use pay phones' was tongue in cheek, I am sure. More amusing speculation than an actual suggestion or at least that is how I took it.

Brian

I like the concept, but the issue would be how exactly it is worded and enforced.  There are so many non-dangerous (or less dangerous) ways phones can be used in a car- like hands-free with voice-to-text, or as a non-held GPS, or a quick text while stopped at a light (WHILE PAYING ATTENTION TO THE DAMN LIGHT).

It seems like most times I encounter stupid drivers- one drifting lanes, driving erratically, stopping too late, etc, there are damn cell phones in their hands.  I am mortified every time I see it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1801 on: February 27, 2018, 04:40:00 PM »
Well, the whole 'make them use the bus and use pay phones' was tongue in cheek, I am sure. More amusing speculation than an actual suggestion or at least that is how I took it

Oh, it makes you wonder- just the "taking away of the phone" alone, that would be DEVASTATING to some people (often the ones who have ZERO self control while driving).  Perhaps one of the most traumatic things you could even do to them, outside of jailing them (which also takes away their phones).  That utter dependence, itself, seems pretty scary.

Side note: I am seeing increasingly numerous studies over the years that are linking child/teenager use of smart phones (and especially with social media) to all kinds of horrible outcomes- depression, lack of empathy, lack of socialization and appropriate social skills, loss of physical motor skills, inability to plan, worse mood swings, attention deficit disorders, sleep issues, increased suicide risk, lack of critical thinking skills, poorer overall physical health, worse grades, increases in addictive personality, on and on... a huge laundry list.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1802 on: February 27, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
Well, on the first point, how in the world would society keep anyone from getting a cell phone? Seriously, I think that would be pretty much impossible.

On the second note, this is going to wander OFFTOPIC: but I am in complete agreement with the second part of your posting as I have found quite a few of those traits in those closest to me in typical, day- to- day life. When in mixed company (immediate family with some slightly extended family members) and say, watching something on TV, I find I am the only one actually watching. Everyone else is looking down into his / her lap at the phone. Also, no matter what is happening be it a conversation, eating out at a restaurant, etc. ad nauseum, the phone 'trumps all' and MUST be answered and attended whenever it jingles or vibrates or lights up. So right in mid- sentence, all conversation must stop to attend the phone. This has seriously and substantially affected the way I interact with people around me because if they feel our interaction is so unimportant that the jingle of an electronic device must stop our (those of us in the same space) interaction, then I would just as soon not interact with any of them in the first place so they are free to 'deal' with that phone.

I find between social media (what I call FaceTwit in polite circles but something much more rude in personal interaction) coupled with the continuous umbilical into the electrical ether, 24,7,365 1/4, to be the two worst things that have happened to my society in my lifetime. I am not opposed to technology, quite the opposite. But I am opposed to an electronic device 'taking over' any human's life, and this is exactly what FaceTwit / unlimited data smart phones seem to have done.

I can only extend the scope of my disappointment in all of this but provide no cure or even counter to it. Those drawn into the 'black hole' of the small, lighted and connected "box" seem to have been lost and what is worse, they seem to like it. It all strikes me as the real- life dystopian future predicted by the sci- fi writers of many previous decades. But instead of non- Earth invaders, bent on destruction of our little planet, it is our own selves doing it to.... our own selves.

Hey, maybe it is me that cannot keep up with modern times. But whatever it is, when I am watching a movie with others and turn to comment on something, only to find I am the only one in the room who actually saw what I was going to comment on, or when I am in the middle of a conversation and my conversing partner grabs the phone and attends it, I find it rude, obnoxious and counterproductive to normal human interaction.

If any of you want to discuss this further, contact me on FaceTwit.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   but also  :'(

Brian (and yes, I DO OWN a smart phone, I am just not its indentured servant)

Oh, it makes you wonder- just the "taking away of the phone" alone, that would be DEVASTATING to some people (often the ones who have ZERO self control while driving).  Perhaps one of the most traumatic things you could even do to them, outside of jailing them (which also takes away their phones).  That utter dependence, itself, seems pretty scary.

Side note: I am seeing increasingly numerous studies over the years that are linking child/teenager use of smart phones (and especially with social media) to all kinds of horrible outcomes- depression, lack of empathy, lack of socialization and appropriate social skills, loss of physical motor skills, inability to plan, worse mood swings, attention deficit disorders, sleep issues, increased suicide risk, lack of critical thinking skills, poorer overall physical health, worse grades, increases in addictive personality, on and on... a huge laundry list.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #1803 on: February 27, 2018, 05:05:42 PM »
I agree with you 100% Brian!

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1804 on: February 28, 2018, 04:08:56 AM »
Snip...

This sounds like a certain group of people that I'm familiar with and I don't believe these issues stem from cell phone use alone. I won't mention the name of this group but if you have Arena access you know of whom I speak...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1805 on: February 28, 2018, 04:32:28 AM »
People who text and drive should have their cars and phones taken away and be made to use payphones and the bus for a year.

Permaban them on the second offense or if they cause an accident. No exceptions. This kind of nonsense has to end and the only way to do it is through harsh punishment and public shaming.

I've personally lost friends and almost die once a day because of these selfish idiots. The level of stupidity exhibited by the average California motorist is beyond my comprehension, and I consider myself to be a pretty stupid  :censored:

The saying goes that you can tell a lot about a person by how they drive. In that case these people are the biggest pieces of  :censored:  I've ever encountered.

Texting whilst driving a car is so yesterday ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3XsZaL-zo
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1806 on: February 28, 2018, 06:51:23 AM »
Texting whilst driving a car is so yesterday ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3XsZaL-zo

:yikes: But I'm thinking that particular problem will eventually take care of itself.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1807 on: March 22, 2018, 05:27:45 AM »
The entrances to stores with the Enter doors on the left side.  Went into a Walmart this morning and the Enter was on the left side.  Exit on the right.  Just feels awkward.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1808 on: March 22, 2018, 05:32:11 AM »
First trip to the walmart?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1809 on: March 22, 2018, 06:41:41 AM »
No, not that i visit Walmart that much.   Just hit me the wrong way this morning and as I'm going in the automatic door one of the Walmart employees used it as an exit.  IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #1810 on: March 22, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »
There's a lot about Walmart "that just ain't right."  I suppose we could start a whole new thread on it.  I agree though that having to use the left lane like that is wrong.  It seems to be the same problem when you are walking around in a tourist area with a lot of Japanese people.  They always try to go past you on the "wrong" side.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1811 on: March 22, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »
The entrances to stores with the Enter doors on the left side.  Went into a Walmart this morning and the Enter was on the left side.  Exit on the right.  Just feels awkward.

Which got me thinking.

Most supermarkets over here (including Asda which is part of Walmart since they acquired it in 1999)  generally don't have separately marked exit & entrance doors.

NB some of the larger Asda stores here are actually branded as Asda-WalMart although that is gradually being phased out and they are reverting to being plain old Asda.

I actually do most of my shopping there in preference to Tesco & Sainsbury although I am gradually doing more & more of it at places such as Aldi & Lidl.
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1812 on: March 22, 2018, 11:21:06 AM »
There's a lot about Walmart "that just ain't right."  I suppose we could start a whole new thread on it.  I agree though that having to use the left lane like that is wrong.  It seems to be the same problem when you are walking around in a tourist area with a lot of Japanese people.  They always try to go past you on the "wrong" side.

No they are going past you on the left side which is the right side and it's for the same (historical) reason that driving on the left s the right side.

It puts you sword arm to sword arm with whoever's coming towards you :)

NB the Japanese also drive on the left
--

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #1813 on: March 22, 2018, 11:35:31 AM »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1814 on: March 22, 2018, 01:47:14 PM »
Yes and agreed but they also do the only thing that could be worse: they combine left and right side entrances IN THE SAME STORE! Sheesh! My local Wally World is a super- center (the ones with full grocery stores in them) and has three main entrances: two are 'wrong' (enter of the left) and one is correct (enter of the right). The actual result is people go in / go out however in the hell they feel like it.

Righty, righty, lefty, wrongy: how hard is it people?

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1815 on: March 22, 2018, 02:56:47 PM »
Oh fer God's sake it's Walmart... http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1816 on: March 23, 2018, 04:13:13 AM »
There's an auto parts store here that does the same thing...might be Autozone.

I did notice on the Walmart exit that the anti-theft scanners are on the exit side, at least the ones that you can see. 

Did some investigation on the exit doors..seems in the super centers, they plan the exit doors to be closest to the cash registers to cut down on cross traffic.  If I had gone through the set of doors on the right side of the building, I wouldn't have been so crazy and annoyed....well, less so anyway.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1817 on: March 27, 2018, 12:24:37 PM »
All of that kinda stuff is designed to get you to THINK about what you've just seen. Whether you puke in your mouth a little bit (texting and motorcycling will do that for me) or just get annoyed because of a misplaced entrance that was purposely designed that way, the marketing people gotcha by the short curlies.

You have just become indoctrinated with the holy-crap-did-you-see-THAT?!? virus.

You're therefore more inclined to buy their stuff.  :chugbeer:
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1818 on: November 03, 2018, 07:35:15 AM »
Cell phones again!

Went to a concert last night and guess what annoyed and made me crazy af?

Idiots who insist on recording the damn concert (instead of watching it) on their cell phones! Not an issue unless the fools are sitting right in front of you and not only have a BIG heads but also have a big cell phone as well. On second thought, it's not just the fools in front of you but also the fools behind you who think that they need to have the phones flash on while recording.  :o

Two of these idiots sat in front of us. This couple (man and woman) thought that they needed to have two recordings of the same thing. Yep, both of them were recording the same damn thing! Um, can't you just record with one phone and then share it?

We finally had enough of the couple in front of us and we had to say something. In their defense, once we said somethng they put the phones away.

Put your cells away and drive, put your cells away and watch the concert, put your cells away and live!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1819 on: November 03, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »
Ah yes, the 'crotch watchers' at public events. I call them that because no matter what they are doing, whenever they are able, they stare down into their crotches..... where the 'glowing orb of live' (cell phone or tablet) is. I find myself the only one with my head up and eyes forward while watching a movie; everyone else around me is staring down at the 'glowing orb of life'.

Another thing that rubs my fur the wrong way is that the 'orb' in omnipresent and trumps all other facets of life: when it jingles / jangles, buzzes, lights up or in any way attracts its 'pets' ' attention, it must be attended to immediately no matter what else may be happening. If I am conversing with someone and that happens, I am about done trying to converse with that person, more or less forever. Not out of anger or even exasperation but due to the fact that I know at any second, the 'glowing orb' may need servicing and that is what is truly important so I consider any other in- person, human interaction as merely a time- killing measure, waiting for that jingle. Not to mention how extremely rude it is IMO- they do not even make a pretense of trying to excuse themselves, they just turn away from the person or people present and watch / read / type.

I like technology, use it and find it invaluable. Even further, I am in favor of MORE of it. But somehow along the way, a lot (most?) humans seem to have turned their entire lives over these little boxes. They are missing an extremely important 'rule' in that machines (electronic or otherwise) serve man, not the other way around.

And these are the people who will be voting next Tuesday, shiver me timbers. I wonder if the little boxes have control of that also?

OK, rant over. Though some of you may have missed it anyway because something jingled......     :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

Cell phones again!

<snip>

Put your cells away and drive, put your cells away and watch the concert, put your cells away and live!