Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 465078 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline KawaRobby

Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #1501 on: July 14, 2017, 06:16:12 PM »
Can't believe I read all 101 pages of this crap, that makes me crazy and annoyed!
And aware that I need a life!
"A clear conscience is often the first indication of a failing memory" unknown.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1503 on: July 14, 2017, 07:42:50 PM »
Try this for a diversion:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

Brian

Can't believe I read all 101 pages of this crap, that makes me crazy and annoyed!
And aware that I need a life!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1504 on: July 14, 2017, 09:54:38 PM »
Close but not quite, it is:

Chocolate, fat, salt, and sugar

Your both wrong:

Ale, Lager, Pilsner and IPA

Combo:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1505 on: July 17, 2017, 11:15:39 AM »

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #1506 on: July 25, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »

New people recently moved into the neighborhood, and they think my yard is for walking their dog.    >:(

I'll be nice the first time I tell them to keep their dog out of my yard.   After that I'm going to get rude.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1507 on: July 25, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »
Open border people?

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #1508 on: July 25, 2017, 03:44:53 PM »
Audio Video systems going obsolete...
I bought a Bluray movie the other day and it's a 4K movie which means I now have to buy a new 4K TV and...a new 4K disc player, so I started researching the newest TV's and decided I wanted an OLED TV (seemingly rated as the best picture) and as I researched the TV's I discovered that the new 4K movies are encoded with HDCP 2.2 (a new copy protection scheme) so I started researching HDCP 2.2 only to learn that all of the components in the system must comply with HDCP 2.2 or the movie won't play...great so now this means I also will need a new receiver...so I found a receiver that I want and while researching receivers I find that there is a new sound format called Dolby Atmos, so if I want the new movies to sound as intended I need new speakers...I figure somewhere around $10.546 to have an upgraded system ready for 4K movies with Dolbt Atmos sound tracks...but I know that at next years Consumer Electronics Show something even newer and greater will be revealed.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1509 on: July 25, 2017, 04:28:33 PM »

And when you are all done, you realize that almost nobody can tell the difference between a quality upscaled 2K picture vs native 4K picture at normal viewing distance.  The HDR mode can be interesting, but the resolution really is not; almost all marketing.  If needed, just upgrade the TV only.  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1510 on: July 25, 2017, 07:04:36 PM »
New people recently moved into the neighborhood, and they think my yard is for walking their dog.    >:(

I'll be nice the first time I tell them to keep their dog out of my yard.   After that I'm going to get rude.

I've got four dogs and cargo pockets full of plastic bags. We walk for an hour each morning. When the dogs poop, I bend down and pick it up. At least 5 times per day <smh, but they can't help it, I guess>.

Strategically, I look for days where the trash is gonna be picked up - in the South, it's often 2 times per week. And I walk the city streets where the trash cans are on the street. When not, I do the golf course, where there are trash cans also strategically placed.

The dogs don't care. They just **** and poop wherever and whenever the urge strikes.

Sigh.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1511 on: July 25, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »
Ah yes, this is the part where 'you are as nice as others will allow you to be'. Which means you could well be on a path to..... well, bad things. Because people will simply not allow you to be nice.

My sympathies. Seriously.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1512 on: July 26, 2017, 04:01:26 AM »
I've got four dogs and cargo pockets full of plastic bags. We walk for an hour each morning. When the dogs poop, I bend down and pick it up. At least 5 times per day <smh, but they can't help it, I guess>.

Strategically, I look for days where the trash is gonna be picked up - in the South, it's often 2 times per week. And I walk the city streets where the trash cans are on the street. When not, I do the golf course, where there are trash cans also strategically placed.

The dogs don't care. They just **** and poop wherever and whenever the urge strikes.

Sigh.

Of those 4 dogs are any of them a Dachshund? Our Dachshund won't poop just anywhere. She takes great care in making a selection and just anywhere won't do! The stars have to be aligned, the GPS coordinates just so, and of course the ALL important scent has to be perfect in order to drop a load.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1513 on: July 26, 2017, 05:13:52 AM »
Yeah, the cutting edge has benefits but there is usually some cost to being there.

I love new technology but am not willing to pay sufficiently for it to get too close to that edge. There was a time when I pursued that edge (who remembers HI8 when it was a gazillion times better than VHS-C ?) but have retreated from that over the years. Plus, I absolutely hate to move to anything too new, regarding consumer electronics, because they are so fickle. So I tend to lag behind in hardware, using software and methodology to make changes until something forces me forward, and then I do it is a large step.

The last main TV was getting long in the tooth, and was a CRT when it died. So in buying a new TV not only did we go digital, but of course into HD as well, and those two changes required an entire system change: new sound system, new cable service, Blu Ray and so forth. Then the learning curve followed and I do not think we ended up using the Blu Ray player 5 times. As I said, the learning curve....

So we live pretty comfortably 2 or more steps behind, and always seem to get by by making adapting. The point is that I actively avoid exactly what you describe.  ;D  It is all slick but I have found the costs (multiple: money of course, but also frustration, using almost all my bad words, having all kinds of general 'house population' problems using the system and worse yet, putting it in some mode or another that takes me days or weeks to escape from, etc.) are a bit too high.

But back in the days when I was actively pursuing that stuff, it was pretty slick. Best of luck and more important, lots of enjoyment from it.

Brian

I bought a Bluray movie the other day and it's a 4K movie which means I now have to buy a new 4K TV and...a new 4K disc player, so I started researching the newest TV's and decided I wanted an OLED TV (seemingly rated as the best picture) and as I researched the TV's I discovered that the new 4K movies are encoded with HDCP 2.2 (a new copy protection scheme) so I started researching HDCP 2.2 only to learn that all of the components in the system must comply with HDCP 2.2 or the movie won't play...great so now this means I also will need a new receiver...so I found a receiver that I want and while researching receivers I find that there is a new sound format called Dolby Atmos, so if I want the new movies to sound as intended I need new speakers...I figure somewhere around $10.546 to have an upgraded system ready for 4K movies with Dolbt Atmos sound tracks...but I know that at next years Consumer Electronics Show something even newer and greater will be revealed.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #1514 on: July 26, 2017, 03:38:50 PM »

Sigh.

Eupher,
You're a good neighbor.   I wish more people were like you.
I like dogs, just not some owners.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1515 on: July 27, 2017, 03:49:51 AM »

I'd be tempted to return that bluray disc for the standard non-4k version myself.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1516 on: August 06, 2017, 10:06:56 AM »
Internet browsers.

The little rascals are full of little tricks, like using 40% of my computers' resources, probably while giving my personal trending information to services that will pay for such things.... and I am throwing some horsepower at it, all to no avail.  They slow down and occasionally stall, always a treat. They are filled with ads, usually for things I looked at one time and have zero interest in now.

Firefox has developed the cutest little trick where it will not print. Well, it 'prints' in that it engages the printer, the printer spits out paper and the browser is happy it completed a task. But the paper has no toner anywhere on it.... completely white paper, all ready for the paper drawer under the printer..... again. What a cute little trick!

I miss Netscape. I continued using it as long as I possibly could, long after it was no longer supported but finally, I had to jump "forward" a couple of decades and get a more modern and " " Better" " (yeah, that needs two sets of quotes) browser.

Browsers suck. The Internet does not quite suck yet, but it has a higher percentage of suckocity every week that goes by.

Brian

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1517 on: August 06, 2017, 11:38:14 AM »
What sucks more than browsers are web sites.  Sites that are full of total nonsense, tons of javascript so they can force their stupid multi-megapixel background images and useless animations and mouseover marketing s*** without any useful content.  And tons of code to try and track everything you do.  Hide all the menus.  Make everything pop-up, motion intensive, endless scrolling, and fade-in, fade-out.  THAT is what eats up all your bandwidth, memory, and CPU.  Welcome to the new web.

The best one can probably do right now to balance security, performance, privacy, usability, bandwidth, and control is Linux + Firefox ESR + uBlock Origin (and Classic Theme Restorer for sanity).  The three work together, but take as many of the three as you can.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1518 on: August 13, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »
COX cable! I did not post about this yesterday because I was simply too angry and could not post and use nice language.

So about six months ago, I was cruising along with FIOS, a happy customer using Internet, cable TV and digital telephone for something like $140/ month WHEN SUDDENLY, the next invoice was for around $225 (or something similar). My two year 'agreement' had come to and end and this was the new 'deal', and a total surprise to me of course. Then again, I knew this was a standard, slimy, business practice for these providers and so did the 1- 2 step solution: 1) call Verizon and tell them the cost is now too high, the original deal was what I wanted. They 'could not' go back to the original deal, as I assumed would occur. So step 2) Call COX and negotiate a new deal. Now because I was a loyal customer of Verizon but a 'new' customer to COX (I had been w/ COX for something like 30 years before the 2 year stint with Verizon but after a 90 day or 6 mos. period, one becomes 'new and virginal' again apparently), Verizon will  punish me and COX will treat me like a prince, regarding price at least. So I cut my new deal with COX, which oddly includes a $300 gift card.... they are going to give me back some of the money I gave them but hey, the bottom line is that over two years, including the $300 gift card, COX is as good a deal as FIOS had been.

Time passes, as I said, something like six months:

It crosses my mind last week: did we ever get that card? ?? I ask my wife: nope, no card. So I call my COX rep., a neighbor by chance, and ask. She informs me I must "apply" for this credit. ?? ?? ?? OK, I will play a little.... how do I apply? She points me to a web site, which immediately asks me for my "digital offer" number. ?? I ask rep. woman and she sends me the number. I plug in number, as well as who I am where I am, my phone number and my account number, all of which we all know they damn well already have and think I am all done. I get a response from COX (corporate, not local rep.) that says they have received my 'request' (it is not a request, it is the path down which I get the money owed me per the deal entered into previously) and will  process is provided, and this is cut 'n paste:

* Have requisite levels of service
* Have had at least 90 days of continuous service
* Have had no past due balances at any point during the 90 days of service
* Have submitted your application before the applicable submission date deadline

Then they provide me with a link to a site where I can 'watch my application's status': I check the site, and it wants my name, address, account number, phone number.....

If I had a COX officer w/in range, he / she / they would be leaking hydraulic fluid! So I send a carefully worded latter to local rep., stating exactly what I think of this, exactly what I know they are doing (trying to diminish payouts they have already agreed to), what I think of the company, and what I will work toward, legally, to stop this fraudulent behavior as well as inflict as much damage as possible to their company. And I state that of course I will not provide one more digit of information that we all know they already have to 'check the status' of anything and expect payment promptly. And the offer expires? First I am hearing of this, but then again I never knew I had to apply for this credit either. Lots 'o surprises, twists and turns with COX.

Now, about that FIOS fiber optic link dragging across my front yard..... I am 'new and virginal' again with Verizon and COX is doing all in their power to encourage me to switch..... again.

My point in all of this is that I find this aspect of COX business reprehensible, and on par with the 'Company store' and 'payment in credits' of coal mines of one hundred years ago, before that behavior was stopped by law. Normally I am not a big fan of more laws but in cases such as this one, I think they are needed. I am still young enough, aware enough and able to deal with this but how many elderly / slow / 'weak' people does this behavior prey on? Not a jurist but me thinks me smells a class- action suit to stop this kind of behavior and there must be a lawyer out there somewhere who wants to go fishin' in a fairly big pond (COX Enterprises had revenues of 18 billion dollars last year and 60,000 employees.... I betcha' a sharp lawyer could 'wet his beak' until it was dripping blood).

Oh and BTW: when I switched to Verizon from COX, a credit card was part of that deal too but the two differences are 1) it was $400 instead of $300, no fault there, that was the deal I cut with both companies so no complaint and 2) Verizon send me that card, rather than serve me up a hot plate of hor$hi!. OK, I am still not using 100% nice language but I am disguising the few bad words I am using. :-)

Brian (a really PI$$ED COX customer..... today)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1519 on: August 13, 2017, 04:54:47 PM »
[...]COX cable! I did not post about this yesterday because I was simply too angry [...]Now, about that FIOS fiber optic link dragging across my front yard..... I am 'new and virginal' again with Verizon and COX is doing all in their power to encourage me to switch..... again. [...]

Now imagine how those of us feel who don't have any alternative to Cox.