Author Topic: Bike puking antifreeze  (Read 11693 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Bike puking antifreeze
« on: November 30, 2016, 03:34:56 PM »
Second time my bike puked out antifreeze from one of those overflow hoses in the bottom. The first time I did it, I thought it was because a plastic 'bottle' looking thingie was cracked. But no, it was puking from the overflow hoses. It did not puke out entirely, the reservoir still has antifreeze just below the low level. So not sure why it likes to puke whatever is in the radiator (or engine block??). I have not filled it back up and have not experienced any overheating issues. I have this bike for over six years now and it did this within the last year AFTER my first valve check (which btw, I was NOT happy about whatsoever!! - long story there - just stay away from Powersports in Springfield, IL).
Just thought I ask and see if you guys got any bit of advice/thoughts/suggestions/conspiracy theory!
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Bike puking antifreeze
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 04:07:05 PM »
Haven't heard of that before.  When last did you change/flush coolant?  Seems unlikely to be a blockage or hot spot, but who knows?  Crimped hose seems unlikely too.  Are you sure it is coolant and not just water/condensation?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »
Fit a new rad cap.  If problem persists then you have a deeper issue.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 04:51:57 PM »
The reservoir should be completely full before it pushes coolant out of the overflow line. Are you sure it isn't coming from the water pump weep hole?
IBA #18591

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 04:55:57 PM »
Mine has done it a couple of times over the years. Checked the res, watched the temp gauge and suffered no ongoing problems.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »
Fit a new rad cap.  If problem persists then you have a deeper issue.
I agree. The spring gets weak so even though your are not overheating it will blow off when it should not be because it cannot hold pressure.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 06:41:23 PM »
First question, define puke: a tablespoon, a coffee cup full, a gallon.... ?

Basically, nothing on the bike should leak anti- freeze, ever. That is what the overflow (expansion tank) bottle is for, to absorb any excess coolant pushed out of the <normally> sealed system and be caught by the overflow tank, and then sucked (Easy Boys!) back in due to the vacuum in the system caused by it cooling down. The only thing that should change is the level in the overflow tank, and that should not change by much and always return to the same level when the bike is back at the same temperature (a bit lower when cold, a tad higher when hot).

Any chance a tube was swapped out and going to the wrong place when the valves were checked? It is possible that someone swapped a tube that should go to the overflow bottle and left it hanging on the left side of the bike: that would explain a couple of small 'overflows' that the bottle should have caught but was not properly plumbed? The place to start is probably to trace where the tube that leaked the fluid goes to on the bike....

After that, as others have said, if it is not something incredibly simple such as a tube that fell off a fitting, possibly a cracked rubber tube (it happens) between the radiator and overflow tank, then the system will need further inspection and should probably get a pressure test at a reputable dealer. These bikes just do not normally have any cooling issues and have proven to be quite robust regarding cooling and NOT overheating normally.

Brian

Second time my bike puked out antifreeze from one of those overflow hoses in the bottom. The first time I did it, I thought it was because a plastic 'bottle' looking thingie was cracked. But no, it was puking from the overflow hoses. It did not puke out entirely, the reservoir still has antifreeze just below the low level. So not sure why it likes to puke whatever is in the radiator (or engine block??). I have not filled it back up and have not experienced any overheating issues. I have this bike for over six years now and it did this within the last year AFTER my first valve check (which btw, I was NOT happy about whatsoever!! - long story there - just stay away from Powersports in Springfield, IL).
Just thought I ask and see if you guys got any bit of advice/thoughts/suggestions/conspiracy theory!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Fairfax

• 2009 Concours 14 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 06:56:55 PM »
Here is another theory. You have a blown head gasket where exhaust gas is escaping into the coolant system. No oil in coolant and no coolant in oil but just exhaust gas in coolant. I admit it is very difficult to destroy a head gasket with just a valve adjustment but mechanics never fail to surprise me!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 08:06:14 PM »
I agree, but I don't think I've heard of a head gasket going on these engines.....not that it can't happen of course.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 11:55:38 PM »
First question, define puke: a tablespoon, a coffee cup full, a gallon.... ?

Basically, nothing on the bike should leak anti- freeze, ever. That is what the overflow (expansion tank) bottle is for, to absorb any excess coolant pushed out of the <normally> sealed system and be caught by the overflow tank, and then sucked (Easy Boys!) back in due to the vacuum in the system caused by it cooling down. The only thing that should change is the level in the overflow tank, and that should not change by much and always return to the same level when the bike is back at the same temperature (a bit lower when cold, a tad higher when hot).

Any chance a tube was swapped out and going to the wrong place when the valves were checked? It is possible that someone swapped a tube that should go to the overflow bottle and left it hanging on the left side of the bike: that would explain a couple of small 'overflows' that the bottle should have caught but was not properly plumbed? The place to start is probably to trace where the tube that leaked the fluid goes to on the bike....

After that, as others have said, if it is not something incredibly simple such as a tube that fell off a fitting, possibly a cracked rubber tube (it happens) between the radiator and overflow tank, then the system will need further inspection and should probably get a pressure test at a reputable dealer. These bikes just do not normally have any cooling issues and have proven to be quite robust regarding cooling and NOT overheating normally.

Brian

I agree with Brian- I remember my bike left a couple of drops on the floor when I first got it. Turned out to be a loose tube to the overfill tank- took all of 1 minute to fix. That is the extent of my problems after 7 years and 75000 miles..  ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 12:35:16 AM »
I agree, but I don't think I've heard of a head gasket going on these engines.....

I have never heard of it either.  And that couldn't be linked to a valve adjustment anyway.  It is probably something simple...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 06:28:33 AM »
Define puke: I would say a pint or two. It gushed out of the tube for about 30 sec or so.
 Coolant has not been flushed.
I want to also note that we were at a high elevation (bluff at Perremarquette, Grafton, IL). Not sure if that makes a difference.
I am a bit confused with the overflow tank. Is the tank/reservoir that you can see antifreeze level? Or is it the small plastic bottle tucked away under the bike?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 08:26:58 AM »
It's on the lower left side of the bike.  You should be able to see it through the gills.  I used a magic marker to highlight the level so I could see it better.  Did you notice the temp gauge at the time?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 09:21:09 AM »
Define puke: I would say a pint or two. It gushed out of the tube for about 30 sec or so.
I want to also note that we were at a high elevation (bluff at Perremarquette, Grafton, IL). Not sure if that makes a difference.
I am a bit confused with the overflow tank. Is the tank/reservoir that you can see antifreeze level? Or is it the small plastic bottle tucked away under the bike?

That's not high elevation. And shouldn't make any difference. What Brian said.

This is starting to be high elevation:

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 09:33:32 AM »
I want to also note that we were at a high elevation (bluff at Perremarquette, Grafton, IL).

That's < 2000 feet.  I rode mine to the top of Mt Evans, 14k feet, where neither it or I could breathe.  <2000 feet is not remotely high altitude.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 02:11:26 PM »
Heck, that's nothing.  I rode my bike to the Moon and back without any issues.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 03:14:07 PM »

Probably time for that, in any case.

The bigger one.  The tiny one is a runoff collector, not related to the cooling system.  It is normally just empty.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 03:20:02 PM »
OK, well if it dumped a pint or more on two different occasions, I would say two things: one is that the bike is now low on coolant (a quart is kind of a lot to lose) and the second is that something is significantly wrong. That is a LOT of coolant to lose, especially twice, and there is no scenario that I can think of that would explain it being normal in any way.

It could be something simple and easy such as a split tube or a tube that fell off a tank but frankly, the bike just should not spit out a pint or more of fluid- especially not twice without being refilled.

Very quick overview: when coolant is heated, it expands and so then of course, contracts when it cools. The highest point in any vehicle's cooling system should be the radiator cap, and so if the radiator (and entire cooling system of course) is filled right to the top then when the system is heated, there will be 'too much' coolant and it will overflow. In the olden' days, this would just spill out of the radiator's overflow tube onto the ground. Radiator caps have a vacuum vent so that when the system cools, they allow air to fill the radiator and cooling system to prevent a vacuum. After a couple of cold / hot / cold cycles, the radiator has purged all excess and the system should then run without purging any more fluid and yet be filled <pretty close> but not quite full to the top.

Modern systems add an overflow bottle or recovery tank (just different terms for the same thing) and capture that fluid that is purged from the radiator. There are now two hoses to the overflow tank: one comes from the radiator overflow and goes to the bottom of the overflow tank, and the other is a vent from the top of the overflow tank. When the system expands, coolant will flow from the radiator to the overflow tank but cannot leak out anywhere until and unless the overflow tank  is completely full; otherwise, the level of the overflow tank just rises a bit. Then when the system cools down and a vacuum is created, the radiator cap applies this vacuum back to the overflow tank and draws some fluid back into the radiator. So, there is no normal circumstance where a coolant system will leak unless the coolant bottle is full.

I would suggest having someone (your or a competent mechanic as you wish) to look at the hoses on the bike, especially the one running from the radiator, just under the cap, to the overflow tank. Make sure it is not open or disconnected anywhere. The other thing that should be done is to find out which hose leaked in the first place and see where it connects. Finally, a good look over the whole system, including checking all components by using a vacuum gauge, should be done to see if there is any clearly failed part. Until those things are done there is really not much anyone can suggest as to what the cause might be, at least IMO. That said, as I said before, these bikes have proven to have very robust cooling systems as well as very reliable, robust engines so I would not assume anything really bad has happened- look for the simple, obvious things first and you will probably find a cheap and easy fix.

Best of luck.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 04:05:30 PM »
When it puked, what was the coolant temp reading on the gauge? Do your fans come on when it gets hot....were the fans left unplugged during the valve adjust?
IBA #18591

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 08:16:15 PM »
[...]I would suggest having someone (your or a competent mechanic as you wish) to look at the hoses on the bike, especially the one running from the radiator, just under the cap, to the overflow tank. Make sure it is not open or disconnected anywhere. [...]
:goodpost:

And if you do all that, for god-sake, replace all the coolant too!  It is time.  Just makes sense.