Author Topic: Ninja 1000 or Versys 1000?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Conniesaki

Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 08:07:33 pm »
jeez I feel really sorry for you, $3 per (US) gallon?

I pay around £1.10 per litre so allowing for exchange rates (£1-$1.30) and conversions(3.8 litres -1 USG)  that's around $5.40 per US Gallon

Ok must admit that isn't as big a gap as I thought there would be, sure the differential used to be a lot higher.

I was trying to exaggerate high on gas price. And hopefully the annual mileage total  :o And still the diff is only $213.

He'd get to ride around with 20 extra HP for only $213. I'm taking that deal  :thumbs:
A throttle lock is a cruise control, controlling the bike's speed by maintaining the throttle at the position the rider sets. The C14 motor used to be a de-tuned ZX14 motor; Now that the ZX14 has a 1,441cc motor, the 1,352cc C14 motor is just smaller. "The exhaust" = the muffler, the entire exhaust system or the gases that are created in the motor, routed thru the exhaust system & out the muffler.

Offline motonerd14

Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 07:59:24 pm »
I was trying to exaggerate high on gas price. And hopefully the annual mileage total  :o And still the diff is only $213.

He'd get to ride around with 20 extra HP for only $213. I'm taking that deal  :thumbs:

Hence why I wasn't thinking about the 650 too much. My price on these is about $3k under MSRP and no additional fees. I just pay tax. As for the gas, it's closer to $3.15 for premium in my part of California. I've seen some areas where it's closer to $4 if not over. Depends on how greedy they want to be...

I'll get to ogle all 3 again on Saturday while I'm working the showroom. I have a good arrangement with these folks that has gotten them a nice increase in sales, a good chunk of change in my pocket, and a killer deal on a new bike. I need to go back to all the particulars and get an insurance quote. Monthly cost is somewhat of a factor but not a deal breaker. Excessively expensive insurance will be (at least for now...)

Regardless of what I want, I don't have the money to do anything until I sell my KLR. It's on Craigslist and a facebook group. I even...cleaned it. When that's out of my garage, I'll decide.  8)

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Ninja 1000 or Versys 1000?
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 08:19:27 pm »
You CLEANED it?   :yikes:
  "LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology.  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Online connie_rider

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 08:32:39 am »
I'll stir the pot.
I would think a "650" Versys or Ninja would be better for a commuter bike as it weighs less and would be more nimble in traffic.

I forgot about insurance. The 650 will cost less too..

Note; Part of the reason I keep raising the 650 idea is;
                    I'm considering one too... <sly grin>
                    Want to hear what others think..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 10:18:39 am »
...... I don't have the money to do anything until I sell my KLR.. I even...cleaned it.

You CLEANED it?   :yikes:

That's it, we don't need to hear any more of this kind of talk here...take it to the arena where it belongs!
 A clean KLR,. (shudder at the thought)...indeed....darn trolls...  :battle:     

Offline motonerd14

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 09:10:25 pm »
That's it, we don't need to hear any more of this kind of talk here...take it to the arena where it belongs!
 A clean KLR,. (shudder at the thought)...indeed....darn trolls...  :battle:   

Normally I'd be 100% in agreement but I do believe that a clean vehicle will always sell faster than a dirty one. Makes it easier to check for damage or other issues and shows that the machine has been well cared-for. Our customers at the dealership always comment on how clean our used bikes are. This is a big reason why none of them ever sit very long. :D

Offline olie

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 04:15:42 pm »
I chose the V1k to be my goto bike... keeping the C14 for longer trips.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 12:57:37 pm »
I have the c14 for my longer trips...well, that is if I did not work seven days, per week, and actually had the time for a long trip. They say the c1 4is good for that, anyway...

I also have a 2012 ninja 1000 for the short rides, and in town.  The ninja needs a lot of work before its a good sport bike.  Ecu reflash, exhaust, suspension work, and tires.

For that reason, I think id try the Versys, if I were commuting.  It has decent wind protection and is really comfortable. Its engine is not as powerful as the ninjas, especially modified, but its really, really good. Also, the Versys has a few rubber mounted engine mounts, so it should be more smooth. 

That 2017 ninja might make me change my mind. It has the cornering abs, which might make it more safe to commute on, depending on your skills, and luck?

Still, I THINK I would go Versys, all the way.  The new one looks better than the old one, and its a really good bike.  Also, the Ninjas insurance can go from a ridiculous level and finishes off at insane.

Be very sure you price insurance on the ninja before you buy one.  I found a great deal, on mine. Its only 5x as much as my c14.

Offline motonerd14

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 12:44:19 pm »
I'm between a Z900 and the Versys 1k now. Ninja is out as, like others here have said, the insurance even with my spotless driving record is prohibitively expensive. Those new 2018 Harley Softails look interesting as well.

In any event, I still don't have the money right now, so all I can do is dream, kick tires, and look at parts online. Part of the fun is dreaming of the next project before starting on it.  8)

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 07:16:21 am »
I think the z900 is the sleeper of the bunch.  Not quite as powerful as the z1000, but it is way lighter...@40 lbs.

Still, for me, it would be Versys , all the way.  And, when I went that direction, I would also consider Suzuki's v strom 1000. Much better electronics,  and it has cornering abs.  As much as I hate that idea, I think its worth having.