Author Topic: Final Drive Oil Leaking from Swingarm?  (Read 6829 times)

Offline oldnslo

Re: Final Drive Oil Leaking from Swingarm?
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 11:17:28 AM »
That in interesting and strange.  One, that the design (which seems to work fine) would need a new arrangement.  And two, that the entire assembly would need to be replaced just to address a seal leak!
the decision from maw kaw came after the seals and orings were changed and they still leaked.only the driveshaft assy is being changed, apparently the leak is at the oring on the driveshaft where it enters the final drive, as it was explained to me by the dealer... ???
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline jwh20

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 05:27:33 PM »
SISF made a video that is quite helpful in understanding the internals of the driveshaft and final drive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r213hax4D9o

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »
SISF made a video that is quite helpful in understanding the internals of the driveshaft and final drive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r213hax4D9o
and the story continues...the oring on the driveshaft for 15/16, has a hard sleeve ov the top of it, and the sleeve is apparently the problem.. i was told this was change on the 2015 c14.. kaw engineers gave .an answer to a question that was never asked...go figure... ???

Offline Nocage

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 03:02:40 PM »
I emptied some of the final drive fluid, but the leak continues. Probably a bad seal. I took the bike to a different dealer. They said it will take about a week to report back to me.

Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 06:14:42 PM »
and the story continues...the oring on the driveshaft for 15/16, has a hard sleeve ov the top of it, and the sleeve is apparently the problem.. i was told this was change on the 2015 c14.. kaw engineers gave .an answer to a question that was never asked...go figure... ???
new driveshaft and seal fixed it...ma kaw opted to change entire driveshaft because it wasn't fair to dealer to force them to buy a very expensive special tool to install the new style seal... :)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
Glad you got it sorted. I wonder what flatrate and tooling would have priced out at.  :o

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 11:56:21 PM »
new driveshaft and seal fixed it...ma kaw opted to change entire driveshaft because it wasn't fair to dealer to force them to buy a very expensive special tool to install the new style seal... :)

Poor forward thinking (although a result for you)

What happens a bit further down the line when seals start wearing out due to wear & tear ?
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 06:50:30 AM »
Yet another reason to stay with the older gens..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 06:52:39 AM »
Yet another reason to stay with the superior older gens..
fify

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 07:35:11 AM »
I would be interested in seeing this expensive, special tool. ??

Glad you got to the end and your shaft is not leaking anymore....

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »
I would be interested in seeing this expensive, special tool. ??

Glad you got to the end and your shaft is not leaking anymore....

Brian
it is shown in the factory repair manual for my 2016 c14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »
Interesting.

Now I am going to have to look up a 2016 service manual and take a look.

It is probably time to stop by the dealer or maybe even call Kawasaki and see if I can get a list of sub- generation changes to the bike. These things tend to 'get away' from us and the next thing is that stuff just ain't like it used to be and everything you knew no longer applies. I still remember the first time I ran into Gen. 2 fairing removal. Actually the removal was only a mild pain, the reassembly was more frustrating.

Brian

it is shown in the factory repair manual for my 2016 c14
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com