Author Topic: Lid reinstall for gas tank storage bin?  (Read 6527 times)

Offline GTRrob

Lid reinstall for gas tank storage bin?
« on: July 17, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »
Hey guys. Had to get a new lid for my storage bin on the gas tank of my 09 connie. It took awhile for parts to arrive, so.... I forgot how the damn thing should go back together! Just the spring placement really. There are two springs, one right, one left. Can somebody post some pics or maybe walk me thru how to align them? I don't want to break it again. The lid and hinge connections are very fragile...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Lid reinstall for gas tank storage bin?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »
Ends of springs attached to "A"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 05:48:11 PM »
Other angle, ends of springs are "A", "B" are springs, "C" is lid, "D" is cover.  Can't explain it myself better, I have a gen2 with locked storage on the left side.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
Thanks! Pic not great but helpful 😉 Plz keep photos and info coming guys!

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 05:49:56 PM »
Where did you find the info? I suck at the interwebs...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »

That is from the copyrighted gen1 factory manual.  Posting or linking to which would be illegal (and against the rules of the forum) (you can obtain it by purchasing from a Kawasaki dealer).  A few excerpts here-or-there (like I did) is legal under what is known as "fair use".  The photos in the manual do, in fact, suck.  I have often had great difficulty trying to decipher their photos.  I would supply actual photos, except (like I said earlier), we don't have that assembly on the gen2.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Forum Rules
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 02:09:14 AM »
That is from the copyrighted gen1 factory manual.  Posting or linking to which would be illegal (and against the rules of the forum) (you can obtain it by purchasing from a Kawasaki dealer).  A few excerpts here-or-there (like I did) is legal under what is known as "fair use".  The photos in the manual do, in fact, suck.  I have often had great difficulty trying to decipher their photos.  I would supply actual photos, except (like I said earlier), we don't have that assembly on the gen2.

Just out of curiosity have you got a link to the forum rules as I can't seem to find them in any of the expected locations (eg sticky thread in Introductions or in the Help section) ?
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 02:17:44 AM »

I'd probably use the second or 3rd results if i wanted a copy of the workshop manual:)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:07:58 PM by VirginiaJim »
--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 03:27:52 AM »
When I try that link I get a Google page with a list of links but then a data content warning pops up and I would have to review it and hit the 'I agree' button to clear the warning. Never saw that before now. What did you find there Mike? Do you not get the warning page in the UK?

Brian

I'd probably use the second or 3rd results if i wanted a copy of the workshop manual:)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:08:17 PM by VirginiaJim »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 05:20:50 AM »
Actually the rules are posted in the C14, The Bike board.  However, in looking at them I don't see anything about posting copyrighted materials.   There should be.   I'm going to fix that oversight.  Please fix your posts with the links to those materials.  If you can't I'll fix them later today.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=436.msg3800#msg3800
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »
When I try that link I get a Google page with a list of links but then a data content warning pops up and I would have to review it and hit the 'I agree' button to clear the warning. Never saw that before now. What did you find there Mike? Do you not get the warning page in the UK?

Brian

No warnings here on my laptop or phone
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 08:13:45 AM »
Actually the rules are posted in the C14, The Bike board.  However, in looking at them I don't see anything about posting copyrighted materials.   There should be.   I'm going to fix that oversight.  Please fix your posts with the links to those materials.  If you can't I'll fix them later today.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=436.msg3800#msg3800

To be pedantic shouldn't it saying something like "no posting of material you don't own the copyright for" .  Also taken literally it also means no pictures/memes generated by someone else doesn't it?

Now where's that rabbit hole ;)
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »
OK, it must be on my end of the wire then. Probably some US Gummit thingy to help curb copyright infringement, or at least remove the excuse that 'I did not know I was stealing anything' and so forth.

We (the US) are having difficulties dealing with the balance between free speech and protecting intellectual material. Just like the rest of the world apparently, if the never- ending Internet squabble over The Pirate Bay is any indication.

Brian

No warnings here on my laptop or phone
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
To be pedantic shouldn't it saying something like "no posting of material you don't own the copyright for" .  Also taken literally it also means no pictures/memes generated by someone else doesn't it?

Now where's that rabbit hole ;)

Nah, it's essentially my interpretation of what's posted.  In this case, I'm removing the links.  Of course I can be overruled by a higher power...

However, I do like the word 'pedantic'.  It's now the word of the day.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 03:34:23 PM »
Nah, it's essentially my interpretation of what's posted.  In this case, I'm removing the links.  Of course I can be overruled by a higher power...

However, I do like the word 'pedantic'.  It's now the word of the day.

hang on, you're removing links to what is probably the worlds largest search engine?

seriously ?

we cant link to google now ?

would you be happier if the links were to google dot com rather than google dot co dot uk ?

Would suggesting that somebody go to google  and search for "concours 1400 workshop manual"  and follow the second link also get censored ?

Can you not see how ridiculous this looks :)

--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
Would suggesting that somebody go to google  and search for "concours 1400 workshop manual"  and follow the second link also get censored ?

The forum does not condone nor support copyright infringement (especially materials related to the topic of the forum- C14, motorcycles, etc).  Even a posting essentially saying "Oh, to get around the forum rules of posting a link, if you want to find and illegally download an illegal copy of the manual, just google this exact phrase" still runs afoul of the spirit of the rule.  So although it seems ridiculous, it really isn't, and I agree with Jim.

Now you know why my first response on his query about source was so politically correct and well-rehearsed  :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »
I don't give a crap how it looks.  It is what it is. 

hang on, you're removing links to what is probably the worlds largest search engine?

seriously ?

we cant link to google now ?

would you be happier if the links were to google dot com rather than google dot co dot uk ?

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 11:56:46 PM »
sheesh you guys really do get touchy on some subjects dont  don't you. Hell its not as though I criticized your gun usage or anything sensitive is it ;)
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 02:42:30 AM »
Yep, touchy subject right now in the US.

We have become extremely polarized in the US in the last, oh, maybe 10 years or so. There are a handful  of 'hot button' issues here, one of which is whether or not to protect intellectual properties before anything is actually done to cause any infringement. I think that is exactly why I saw the warning overlay or whatever it was when I went to that link.

Anyway, too bad it went sideways so fast in this thread and I hope there are not too many feathers ruffled on either or any side.

Brian

sheesh you guys really do get touchy on some subjects dont  don't you. Hell its not as though I criticized your gun usage or anything sensitive is it ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 02:46:31 AM »
Did you get the glove box back together on your bike?

Yep, the gen. 1 glove box is delicate and pretty cheesy; mine broke shortly after I bought the bike and a lot of them never did work quite right from brand new.

If you did not get yours together, I can take a look at mine and maybe take a photo or two that may help. I have not looked at mine in so long I just cannot remember how it goes together other than it can go together incorrectly and is really easy to break.

Let us know and I think we can get some more info. to you about it.

Brian