Author Topic: And about that eclipse Bruce  (Read 2991 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
And about that eclipse Bruce
« on: August 21, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »
Nope, not even close to where it will be a full eclipse. In fact, projections show about 1/6 of the sun covered here. Far too far north for a full eclipse.

But it looks like you must be pretty close to where it will be full. If so, enjoy but please, be safe and protect your eyes; even during a full eclipse the corona will burn your retinas so you probably want to use some type of protection.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BruceR

• Arena
Re: And about that eclipse Bruce
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »
I was on the university campus in Nashville with 40,000 or so of my closest friends.  Had total coverage for a bit over 2 minutes.  Tried to take photos using the ISO rated glasses over the lens on my cell phone but they don't do justice to the event.  The funny part was the insects started chirping when it got dark then quieted down when the sun came back out.  Not total darkness, more like twilight.  And the temps dropped by 10 degrees or so.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 02:53:48 PM »
Cool, and interesting about the insects.

As I said, a mild darkening (no need to take off sunglasses) here and a small disc missing from the sun. Just a yawn- level event, really.

Brian

I was on the university campus in Nashville with 40,000 or so of my closest friends.  Had total coverage for a bit over 2 minutes.  Tried to take photos using the ISO rated glasses over the lens on my cell phone but they don't do justice to the event.  The funny part was the insects started chirping when it got dark then quieted down when the sun came back out.  Not total darkness, more like twilight.  And the temps dropped by 10 degrees or so.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 05:09:14 PM »
Here it was 89% occluded.  I was surprised that it means almost nothing!  It seemed like a perfectly normal day;  I expected a lot more...  had I not looked at the sun with the special glasses, I wouldn't even know anything were abnormal.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 05:14:02 PM »
I stayed in the house.  Didn't want to get peripheral radiation.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
Yeah, as I said in that other thread yesterday, it is really a very narrow path on the Earth where the eclipse is..... effective. Hence the long wait for astronomers to take the photograph that would prove or disprove Big Al's T.O.R., and it took years. And that was with global traveling to be in the right place at the right time.

Still, the center of the eclipse did traverse the US, all the way across the continent. It sounds like Bruce was near or at the corridor of total eclipse. Being 1,000 miles or so north, I was not and other than a slight 'dulling' of broad daylight, it could have passed without me really noticing.

Brian

Here it was 89% occluded.  I was surprised that it means almost nothing!  It seemed like a perfectly normal day;  I expected a lot more...  had I not looked at the sun with the special glasses, I wouldn't even know anything were abnormal.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »
Brian you should get your chance in 2024 when the path will go through Texas and up through Maine.  If any of you will be anywhere within a few hours' drive I highly recommend going to a place to view totality.  Pretty weird to be able to look up at the sun in the middle of the day.  Looked like a big black ball (the moon obviously) with a red halo or aura all around it.  I was all set to be unimpressed but it really was a neat thing to experience. 

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 07:52:03 PM »
Thanks for the reflection and the alert on the next one. Personally, I have zero expectation of being here to see that one but I appreciate the thought, and hope everyone interested is able to see that one.

Brian

Brian you should get your chance in 2024 when the path will go through Texas and up through Maine.  If any of you will be anywhere within a few hours' drive I highly recommend going to a place to view totality.  Pretty weird to be able to look up at the sun in the middle of the day.  Looked like a big black ball (the moon obviously) with a red halo or aura all around it.  I was all set to be unimpressed but it really was a neat thing to experience.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 06:01:14 AM »
We've already by now seen a lot of photos of the eclipse.  This is a little different.  A time lapse video taken from the square in my home town of Franklin, TN
https://www.facebook.com/CityOfFranklin/videos/10159237925390344/

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 06:21:12 AM »
Impressive. You must have been right in the center of the path.

What happened here might have confounded the ancients a little but they would have kept right on [Sodom and Gomorrah]'ing and so forth. But I can see how what happened where you are would make them straighten up and fly right, at least for a while, 'cause that would make almost anyone think they were making someone, with a really high pay grade, cranky.  ;D

Brian

We've already by now seen a lot of photos of the eclipse.  This is a little different.  A time lapse video taken from the square in my home town of Franklin, TN
https://www.facebook.com/CityOfFranklin/videos/10159237925390344/

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 07:47:20 AM »
I was standing with a group of fellow adults, and it ended up being very good for my self esteem.

I KNOW I dont have an extensive education, and I know nothing about the solar system. However, compared to many of the others, Im an a certified genius.

Comments I heard were anything from, "I thought this happened, at night...." to, "So, does this happen again, in one hour?" 

The comments did not stop.  One guy worried about viewing the picture he took on his i phone. Cross my heart, and hope to die, he slid his welding mask on to view his i phone.

The insect part is interesting. We were in an area with millions of mosquitos.  For a few minutes, they started swarming around the parking lot lights.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 07:58:23 AM »
Complete totality here. It was dark for over two minutes right here in my front yard. Absolutely stunning!
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:14 AM »
Jimmy, was it dark enough to where you would have needed headlights, if you were driving?

It was about 90% where I was. It looked like @ 30 minutes before sunset.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 10:13:32 AM »
Jimmy, was it dark enough to where you would have needed headlights, if you were driving?

It was about 90% where I was. It looked like @ 30 minutes before sunset.
Oh yeah. It was dark. It was crazy how if just a tiny sliver was still showing, there was light, but for two minutes, it was night time.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
Flew up to Perryville MO. Awesome sight! 99% is not close enough. The last 30 seconds to 100% was amazing.

My buddy and his Mooney M20J that furnished the transportation

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
87% coverage @1;20 here but I saw none of that. Around noon I caught a glimpse of the sun and moon then the clouds moved in and it rained for a bit. if I hadn't known that there was an eclipse going on it would have seemed like an ordinary cloudy day.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »
Oh yeah. It was dark. It was crazy how if just a tiny sliver was still showing, there was light, but for two minutes, it was night time.

That's what I noticed here where we were 88 to 89% maximum.  Even with all that blocked, it barely changed the look outside at all.... it must take a WHOLE LOT of blocking, like 95% or something to really notice something is happening.  Watching others' videos of the ambient outside light, once it went from 99% to 100%, there is a HUGE difference.

Of course, part of it is probably that our eyes are constantly adjusting for exposure :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »

:goodpost:

Fantastic photos there Rhino! 

We drove up to Nebraska as we thought that it would be less crowded, especially after the cloud cover forecast came out at 73% but we found a cloud hole with some minor litter in it near Fairmont Nebraska. There should be a law about the length of totality. 2 minutes and 30 odd seconds just isn't long enough. I panicked and forgot everything I know about photography.
So I have mostly crapola for photos from the eclipse. Fortunately I remembered to bring the GoPro with the chipped lens along and set it up. The time lapse it took shows the curve of the moon's shadow fairly well on the surrounding clouds as it passed by. The pano I took is blurred but it shows the lighting more realistically in the area much better than the GoPro does. Now from what I've learned, I will be fully prepared when 2024 rolls around .......and it's cloudy here.  :(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 05:04:34 AM »
Eclipse shadow from space.

http://spaceweather.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/earthtoskycalculus/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1443217922428832

SOLAR ECLIPSE IN THE STRATOSPHERE (UPDATED): During the Great American Solar Eclipse on August 21st, the students of Earth to Sky Calculus and Spaceweather.com launched 11 high-altitude balloons from 5 states in the path of totality. We hoped to catch the Moon's shadow sweeping across the landscape from a vantage point in the stratosphere--and we succeeded. These pictures show the inky-black shadow of the Moon darkening a 70 mile-wide patch of Wyoming/Nebraska:

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn