Author Topic: Howling noise at 75-80 mph (not wind) '09 ABS with 39k miles running synthetic  (Read 10113 times)

Offline Conrad

Was a bird nesting in it?

That would have been a humming sound me thinks.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline rcannon409

Ray, I'll offer one thought.  I learned this, the hard way.

At one point, I put by bike on a front stand.  I did it just to see if my stand (pit bull) was strong enough.

My stock bike had a plug, in the steering stem, bottom side.  To get the peg in place, I had to remove the plug.  Of course, I did not remember to put the rubber plug back in place.

At 70-80, and only there, the bike made a sound as if I were blowing across a bottle top. 

It might be worth checking as you could cover that hole with a piece of tape, just to see if it helps.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Ray, I'll offer one thought.  I learned this, the hard way.

At one point, I put by bike on a front stand.  I did it just to see if my stand (pit bull) was strong enough.

My stock bike had a plug, in the steering stem, bottom side.  To get the peg in place, I had to remove the plug.  Of course, I did not remember to put the rubber plug back in place.

At 70-80, and only there, the bike made a sound as if I were blowing across a bottle top. 

It might be worth checking as you could cover that hole with a piece of tape, just to see if it helps.

Interesting.  I checked (it's just above the front fender?), and there isn't a plug there.  Just a 1 ½ inch hole...
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
Update: No joy.

So this morning, before it got too hot (Central Valley heatwave), I covered the steering stem hole with some duct tape in hopes that it could be just as simple as rcannon suggested.  (Thanks for the suggestion rc!). Alas, the howling was still there. 

It certainly sounds like its coming up from the front more so than the back, but that could be because the sound has nowhere else travel except the through opening at the forks.

Something else I noticed, and this might help you experienced diagnosers, I can detect a hint of the howling noise between 40-44 mph.  Same thing with the clutch, as soon as I start to pull the clutch in and get into the grey area or completely pulled in, the sound goes away.

I took two phone videos of the noise.  The first vid I just rode up to 78 in 4th gear and demonstrated how pulling in the clutch cuts the sound.  The second, I rode up to 78 and demoed the sound in 4th, 5th and 6th gears, and then tried to video from the front of the bike to the rear.  Unfortunately for the second vid, the wind noise is too great to really tell. 

In the video, the noise doesn't sound so bad, but, from the seat, it is pretty loud.   

Now I just need to figure out how to get the video to you all...
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
Here's a link to the first video:

https://youtu.be/diUhHyZuCPI

Basically, I sped up to 78, was in 4th gear, and pulled in the clutch a few times.  I stopped recording as soon as I started to slow but you can just catch how the sound goes away when I do. 

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Your clutch noise is normal. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
Your clutch noise is normal. 8)

Damn!  You think so, JMac?  LOL.

The video really doesn't do it justice as to how loud it is.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Well, a video (+ audio) is worth a thousand words.  I do hear what is almost a "tone" and could tell the short several times you pulled in the clutch starting at 19 seconds (you can see the tach jump too).  Good job and good idea.  The tone is changing pitch with RPM, so this is not wind noise or other such stuff.   I can't tell how loud that "tone" is from the video, although to me it doesn't sound loud.  I have not noticed such a sound on mine before, so I am not going to declare it "normal" at this point; but it could be (plus my helmet is loud AND I wear earplugs/earphones).  Very interested to see what others say.

Your problem is this:  If it is truly related to speed, then it probably can't be the clutch or engine (since clutch and engine both see RPM, not speed).  Those would produce a similar sound at various speeds in each gear.  It could be the differential or transmission, which DO see speed.  With the differential, when you pull in the clutch, although the differential is still spinning, it has no power load on it anymore (the load goes backwards) and that could make a sound from it disappear.

I am perplexed at the moment.  How OLD is the differential oil and have you checked the level?  (Long shot, but hey, just another thing to eliminate).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
I kept waiting for an unusual noise and then the vid ended.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
Well, a video (+ audio) is worth a thousand words.  I do hear what is almost a "tone" and could tell the short several times you pulled in the clutch starting at 19 seconds (you can see the tach jump too).  Good job and good idea.  The tone is changing pitch with RPM, so this is not wind noise or other such stuff.   I can't tell how loud that "tone" is from the video, although to me it doesn't sound loud.  I have not noticed such a sound on mine before, so I am not going to declare it "normal" at this point; but it could be (plus my helmet is loud AND I wear earplugs/earphones).  Very interested to see what others say.

Your problem is this:  If it is truly related to speed, then it probably can't be the clutch or engine (since clutch and engine both see RPM, not speed).  Those would produce a similar sound at various speeds in each gear.  It could be the differential or transmission, which DO see speed.  With the differential, when you pull in the clutch, although the differential is still spinning, it has no power load on it anymore (the load goes backwards) and that could make a sound from it disappear.

I am perplexed at the moment.  How OLD is the differential oil and have you checked the level?  (Long shot, but hey, just another thing to eliminate).

Diff oil changed with every oil change.  My motor sergeant/friend is obsessive...

Offline smokin

Check the exhaust header bolts to head,sounds to me like a possible exhaust leak around that area.That might explain why it goes away when you pull in the clutch,engine goes back to idle.
Just a thought.
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline AZ-ZG

Is this sound something started recently?

I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
Check the exhaust header bolts to head,sounds to me like a possible exhaust leak around that area.That might explain why it goes away when you pull in the clutch,engine goes back to idle.
Just a thought.

Thanks for the thought, Joe.  I tightened the header bolts a couple of months ago.  They needed it, but I never detected an exhaust leak.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
Is this sound something started recently?

I can't be certain that it started all of a sudden.  I just noticed it while riding.  I asked the previous owner and he couldn't recall ever hearing that sound.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
So I just got back from a trip to Mount Rushmore and some of the accompanying areas, Deadwood, Devil's Tower, Craters of the Moon...

The bike performed flawlessly.  The noise was still there from the 75-80 range, but I just got used to it.  The only curious thing was twice, when I had my cellphone on the accessory charger, when I turned of the ignition key, it "blipped" on and off about 3 to 5 times before staying off.  Weird, but it only happened twice. 

In total, 8 days of riding, 3245 miles, and one SORE butt!  Thank God I put a new Stealth seat on her before the trip, or I would've been miserable. 

Offline Diablo6v

Have you pulled the Drive shaft to see how much lube is still left on the splines after eight years? They come pretty dry from the factory. That howl sure sounds like gear whine. Just asking?

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
Have you pulled the Drive shaft to see how much lube is still left on the splines after eight years? They come pretty dry from the factory. That howl sure sounds like gear whine. Just asking?

No.  And I suspect that it has never been done.  I will research the "how to" and do it myself.

Thanks for the tip!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
The only curious thing was twice, when I had my cellphone on the accessory charger, when I turned of the ignition key, it "blipped" on and off about 3 to 5 times before staying off.  Weird, but it only happened twice. 

That happens with certain electrical add-on accessories, like LED lighting on the turn signals.  On mine, it will go crazy if I have any flasher operating (or maybe just the emergency flashers) when the ignition is turned off.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
That happens with certain electrical add-on accessories, like LED lighting on the turn signals.  On mine, it will go crazy if I have any flasher operating (or maybe just the emergency flashers) when the ignition is turned off.

Thanks Max.  I DID install a solid state flasher and put LEDs in the rear signals.  In fact, today, I just installed the switchback dry/turnsignal lights in the front.  Gonna convert the rears to tail/brake/signals next...

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
No.  And I suspect that it has never been done.  I will research the "how to" and do it myself.

Thanks for the tip!

Is this a good demo of how to R&R the driveshaft?:

https://youtu.be/aIL_9iEvvIE