Author Topic: 2018 C14  (Read 9871 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
2018 C14
« on: September 22, 2017, 01:13:47 PM »
Well the info is out, apparently 2018's Metalic Carbon Gray is essentially black. Looking at some of the photos...(which maybe are just retouched from earlier years)..it almost looks as though they've converted the front turn signals to running lights?
Look at the front right side turn signal below.

Once again my hopes were dashed that we might get a dark metallic green version, oh well there is always maybe next year.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2018 C14
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
Well the info is out, apparently 2018's Metalic Carbon Gray is essentially black.

Well, I guess that dashes the hope for a gen 3 Concours after 10 years of the C14!  Long live year 11!  I suppose that is good and bad.  But only black?  Blech.

Looking at some of the photos...(which maybe are just retouched from earlier years)..it almost looks as though they've converted the front turn signals to running lights?  Look at the front right side turn signal below.

Interesting.  I see what you see- it looks kinda like running lights, maybe.  But if they did it with dim, dual-filament incandescent, I will have to throw a big "meh" at it :)  Don't get me wrong, you know I am a HUGE advocate of converting the front turn signals to running lights for safety.  Guess we will have to wait and see.  Seems like a surprising thing to do, especially now.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 03:20:25 PM »
All reactions to things such as this depend entirely on your point of view but personally, I am happy they are still making the bike. You sound like you were looking for wider possibilities while I was fearing they would drop the model entirely. Seriously.

Brian

Well, I guess that dashes the hope for a gen 3 Concours after 10 years of the C14!  Long live year 11!  I suppose that is good and bad.  But only black?  Blech.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:26:47 PM »
No mention of the 2018 on official sites for Canada or Europe yet.  I suspect they are just being slow to update the other sites.  I also suspect the same mono/non-color.  Unable to find a single "peep" or word about the 2018 anywhere, other than it is shown on the Kawasaki USA site.  Odd.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 03:32:22 PM »
All reactions to things such as this depend entirely on your point of view but personally, I am happy they are still making the bike. You sound like you were looking for wider possibilities while I was fearing they would drop the model entirely. Seriously.

Actually, like you, I was also worried they were going to drop the Concours, mostly because we should have heard rumors about a redesign by now, and it is a perfect decade mark.  Having heard nothing at ALL was troubling.  So that is the reason it is "good news".  Of course, we are all hoping that they will also consider updating the Concours to keep it competitive with the few other true sport tourers out there.  I think it is still the top dog (when everything is considered), but the gap was seriously narrowed with the FJR when Yamaha did their last refresh in 2013 (their "gen 3" version) and then their revision for 2016 which FINALLY brought a 6 speed transmission, slipper clutch, and they even added LED lighting.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »
My reasoning for the concern is that the bike has been a bit slow- selling since day one, and there are brand new, 2013 models out there. For whatever reason(s),  the bike does not sell well, new or used, and coupled with the fact that it is a much more expensive bike to manufacture than either the sport bikes or the cruisers, and because of that I believe it is less profitable (that is my belief, I have absolutely no data to back that up before someone asks) than most of Kawasaki's other products, it would be the stand- out model to drop.

As far as an update, my own opinion is that it really does not need one. It is still 'top dog' in my opinion and any deficiencies that it may have such as lacking cruise control, etc., can be readily and easily addressed after purchase. Compare that to, say, increasing the bike's power and it becomes a proverbial walk in the park. The basic bike is still fantastic IMO and out runs all others in the class both as far as price / performance goes as well as pure standing; I still think it is the best sport tourer available.

I would LOVE to see the sales numbers of the C-14 and the FJR, to gain a better idea if the bike is really selling slowly or if all sport tourers are selling slowly.

Brian

Actually, like you, I was also worried they were going to drop the Concours, mostly because we should have heard rumors about a redesign by now, and it is a perfect decade mark.  Having heard nothing at ALL was troubling.  So that is the reason it is "good news".  Of course, we are all hoping that they will also consider updating the Concours to keep it competitive with the few other true sport tourers out there.  I think it is still the top dog (when everything is considered), but the gap was seriously narrowed with the FJR when Yamaha did their last refresh in 2013 (their "gen 3" version) and then their revision for 2016 which FINALLY brought a 6 speed transmission, slipper clutch, and they even added LED lighting.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Charliedog

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 08:31:55 AM »
The C14 isn't even a teenager.....  The C10 was around for 21 model years.  My 2000 w/ 107K on it is hardly broken in...
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »
The C14 isn't even a teenager.....  The C10 was around for 21 model years.  My 2000 w/ 107K on it is hardly broken in...

:)  Well, that is true.  But look at cars, they rarely last more than 6 years without a full or major redesign.  Sure, they might still call it a "Maxima" or "Accord", but it is usually new frame/body, often with major changes to the power train, and lots of different features and changes.  Things move more slowly in the motorcycle world but as an example, the ZX14 was completely overhauled after just 6 years (becoming the ZX14R) and the ZRX11 after just 5 (as the ZRX12, which sold in the US for another 5 years, then dropped world-wide after 6).  Look at the Z1000 for a dizzying array of major overhauls about every 3 to 4 years.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 12:56:33 PM »
That depends entirely on what you consider a 'major or full redesign'. Lee Iacoca said that by 1960 it was far too expensive for any automaker to introduce a new planform in much less than a decade, and often not that often. And that is for one model for the entire company. Which, by the way, is why the Mustang was build on a Falcon planform, Ford simply could not justify spending the money in attempting to manufacturing a 'kid's car' and seeing if it sold well.

So the major components on the C-14 are in the same boat; the monocoque frame is a large casting and expensive to tool up to produce. It is not likely to change. Hey, even the fuel tank is the one that was already in existence for the ZX when the C-14 was new.... lots of people wonder why it is not larger, and think it should be bigger but again, for the manufacturer to tool up to make a different fuel tank would be expensive, and then they would have to maintain two different lines to manufacture the two fuel tanks, one for the ZX line and one for the Concours. Assuming of course that ZX buyers do not want an 8 gallon tank on that big sport bike. So a bigger tank has to cause a bigger price- tag and the bike is facing sales pressure already; a significant drop- off in sales probably would sound the end of manufacturer.

This is also the reason why Honda has not updated their sport- tourer, they just do not sell enough of them to warrant a major re-work of the model. Sure the sales would increase but the real question is would they increase enough to make building the new bike profitable, after design and tooling costs are factored in.

The automotive market is measured in the dozens of million units per year, and MANY parts are shared between vehicles. The motorcycle market is but a small fraction of that and few parts are shared. That is why motorcycles get a small portion of relatively old automotive technology, because they cannot possibly ever make it worthwhile and so must 'mooch' off of automotive technology.

Brian

:)  Well, that is true.  But look at cars, they rarely last more than 6 years without a full or major redesign.  Sure, they might still call it a "Maxima" or "Accord", but it is usually new frame/body, often with major changes to the power train, and lots of different features and changes.  Things move more slowly in the motorcycle world but as an example, the ZX14 was completely overhauled after just 6 years (becoming the ZX14R) and the ZRX11 after just 5 (as the ZRX12, which sold in the US for another 5 years, then dropped world-wide after 6).  Look at the Z1000 for a dizzying array of major overhauls about every 3 to 4 years.

Offline overthehill

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 06:14:15 PM »
Mother Kaw sent out a team and upgraded all of the LEO bikes built by third parties.  Rumor at that time was that they would gather it in to Mother Kaw and come out with a new LEO bike.  Maybe the black is a step in that direction?  Every LEO Motor Officer is hopeful!
1987 Connie gone
2003 Goldwing (yikes, no lean angle) gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 12:21:53 AM »
Comparison of GTR v FJR for the UK

NB vehicles in the UK are licensed(Road Taxed)  annually. Ok its not actually sales figures but gives you an idea over this side of the pond of how "rare" the GTR is in comparison

http://sharetheexperience.co.uk/Images/GTR/comparison.jpg

Data from https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/ which gets its underlying data from the DVLA.

Model Names are as declared on the vehicles initial registration document

My reasoning for the concern is that the bike has been a bit slow- selling since day one, and there are brand new, 2013 models out there. For whatever reason(s),  the bike does not sell well, new or used, and coupled with the fact that it is a much more expensive bike to manufacture than either the sport bikes or the cruisers, and because of that I believe it is less profitable (that is my belief, I have absolutely no data to back that up before someone asks) than most of Kawasaki's other products, it would be the stand- out model to drop.

As far as an update, my own opinion is that it really does not need one. It is still 'top dog' in my opinion and any deficiencies that it may have such as lacking cruise control, etc., can be readily and easily addressed after purchase. Compare that to, say, increasing the bike's power and it becomes a proverbial walk in the park. The basic bike is still fantastic IMO and out runs all others in the class both as far as price / performance goes as well as pure standing; I still think it is the best sport tourer available.

I would LOVE to see the sales numbers of the C-14 and the FJR, to gain a better idea if the bike is really selling slowly or if all sport tourers are selling slowly.

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 05:51:18 AM »
Yeah, that data supports my own thoughts- the C-14 is selling sluggishly. Although there does seem to be a sharp drop- off in Feejer sales when the C-14 appears in the '08 model year. Still, a small number of vehicles overall. That small amount of data does seem to show a general trend of slow for both bikes about the time the C-14 was introduced though, so maybe there are other forces at work rather than just model preference? Perhaps the whole sport- tourer market, or even the entire motorcycle market slid quite a bit around that time due to a large economic downturn in general and having absolutely nothing to do with the C-14 or even sport tourers generally?

Brian

Comparison of GTR v FJR for the UK

NB vehicles in the UK are licensed(Road Taxed)  annually. Ok its not actually sales figures but gives you an idea over this side of the pond of how "rare" the GTR is in comparison

http://sharetheexperience.co.uk/Images/GTR/comparison.jpg

Data from https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/ which gets its underlying data from the DVLA.

Model Names are as declared on the vehicles initial registration document

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:01:36 AM »
Indian market is up...17% so far this year.  HD's sales are down and losing market share....   I wonder to whom?    So not all MC sales are languishing.   Kawkers has basically shot themselves in the feet by only changing colors and making few minor improvements.  I might have stayed on my C14 if something had come out interesting but it didn't and I didn't. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »
Indian is winning races, too. Win on Sunday and sell on Monday.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »
Yep, they may have sold more bikes had they updated with significant changes. But those changes would not be free so there are two questions that need to be answered: 1) how much more, if any at all, will the customer pay for the bike with these changes and 2) how many will be sold as a direct result of those changes. My guess is that the answer to those questions is 1) not much, if any at all and 2) not nearly enough.

It is easy for us as customers to demand things and say that we would buy XXX if they only added YYY and improved ZZZ and so forth. But it is another thing entirely to actually plunk money down on the proverbial table. And no manufacturer can spend imaginary money.  ;)

Think of it this way: perhaps your boss or the people directly responsible for your compensation might say 'Gee, it would be worth an extra $$$ if Jim learned how to take care of this or that, and also if he was [faster, spent longer on the job, etc., etc.]. But at the end of the quarter or year, do you really think if you do work harder anyone is going to shovel money at you? Of course I am not singling you out here, just making an example.... we are all, always in the same boat in this regard.

And in all honesty, I doubt there is anything short of a 100 pound gold bar that Kawasaki could have put on a C-14 that would have steered you or virtually anyone away from a twin cylinder, air cooled cruiser and onto a water cooled, in-line four sport touring bike. Again, lots of us say things like that but when it comes time to actually plunk money down on the table, not so much.

When the C-14 first came out, I went to my local dealer and asked about buying one. I was told that they expected one in any day (literally) but it was already sold. And then they would be getting 2 per month and the next four were also spoken for so the soonest I could have one would be in three months, provided Kawasaki actually delivered on schedule. So I went to another dealer and bought the one he had on the floor. This was 25 July 2007, on a Wednesday. The following Saturday, I rode my new, shiny bike to the first dealer and found a brand new C-14 on the floor. The owner saw me come in and RAN over to me to tell me he had a C-14 in stock and was ready to deal..... and I pointed to mine out in his parking lot. Seems the first five people who "bought" C-14's did not / could not actually buy them, all backed out and all wanted their deposits back. Now these people actually put some money down ($500), so imagine how many he could have "sold" had he just taken verbal orders for them in advance?

I suspect Kawasaki has thought long and hard (Easy Boys!) about this, has done studies, and devotes considerable time and energy to trying their very best to serve up what they can actually sell. And they have a long history to look back on and temper any questionnaire results with a dose of reality to slow them down before doing something foolish.

Brian

Indian market is up...17% so far this year.  HD's sales are down and losing market share....   I wonder to whom?    So not all MC sales are languishing.   Kawkers has basically shot themselves in the feet by only changing colors and making few minor improvements.  I might have stayed on my C14 if something had come out interesting but it didn't and I didn't.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 03:24:56 PM »

Well the gen2 improvements were significant and attractive, but probably not attractive enough to entice jumping from a gen 1.... UNLESS you just love the platform and want to to a brand new bike to start the love affair all over again and keep what you like and move most of the farkles, etc.  Quite a few people have done that.  Those with a 2008 can warp to an 11-year newer without any risk or uncertainty.

But it is disappointing they hadn't been interested in a real/significant gen3 kinda concept- with cruise, LED lights, fancier dash,  re-base on the zzr14 engine instead of zr14, etc.

I will point out that although there is no 2018 C14 in EU, there is in other markets, including USA/CA, so we still don't really know if the platform is dead or not.  Most likely it is, but who knows for sure...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
I suspect Kawasaki has thought long and hard (Easy Boys!) about this, has done studies, and devotes considerable time and energy to trying their very best to serve up what they can actually sell. And they have a long history to look back on and temper any questionnaire results with a dose of reality to slow them down before doing something foolish.

I wonder how many of *US* they have asked such questions.  Not me, or I would have told them point-blank that I don't care what they do to a "replacement" for the C14, if it is not shaft drive, it destroys most of my interest.  Although I know I don't speak for everyone, I doubt I am alone, either.  If they don't at least appreciate/comprehend that, then something is horribly wrong with their operation.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 11:43:43 PM »
they probs arent launching new models /changes due to their being a warehouse somewhere full of rolling frames with engines in and a stockpile of body panels somewhere else
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 05:43:20 AM »
they probs arent launching new models /changes due to their being a warehouse somewhere full of rolling frames with engines in and a stockpile of body panels somewhere else

That was one of my thoughts, also

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 05:28:10 PM »

NOW THAT THERE IS FUNNY... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

that ain't how motorcycles are assembled... especially at Kawasaki...

it's called "just in time" manufacturing... been that way for 30++ years..

http://youtu.be/wQesaXhL0cA
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:04:37 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..