Author Topic: Cockpit Power Distribution  (Read 3250 times)

Offline jeffmccracken

Cockpit Power Distribution
« on: September 22, 2017, 08:59:07 PM »
So I'm looking to install a "Cockpit Power Distribution" strip of some kind.

I like to use 2 pin SAE connectors to power most of my gadgets, like GPS's, radar detector, tank bag, blah bah blah.
I rigged a little power strip made by connecting several of these SAE connectors side-by-side and attaching it under the backside of my home brew dash. One half is switched, the other unswitched. I can add and remove accessories pretty much at will with this scheme.

So now I'm making a few changes and thought I might redo my power connection setup.

I was thinking about maybe a strip of RJ11 connectors but my ideas run out of steam after that and even this one probably won't provide much current capacity I suppose.

I don't want to use cig lighter / BMW plugs due to real estate required.

What kinds of cockpit power schemes are others using out there?

Here's a picture of my current rig job and I'm looking for something in this general size maybe 2-3x larger with 5 or more connections.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jeff
'08 C14

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: Cockpit Power Distribution
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 02:12:14 AM »
Given that the original power over Ethernet specs allow for up to 15.4 w of power per port (& that's at 44v DC) then there should be no problem using rj45 /rj11 connectors imho
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 05:51:19 AM »
So I'm looking to install a "Cockpit Power Distribution" strip of some kind.

He said Cockpit....   he he he.... :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 06:32:04 AM »
Twit

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 07:00:19 AM »
Given that the original power over Ethernet specs allow for up to 15.4 w of power per port (& that's at 44v DC) then there should be no problem using rj45 /rj11 connectors imho

I don't think RJ connectors are a good choice.  They are not very strong, don't carry much current, have no weather protection (and with contacts that close, wow).  I am not sure what I would recommend for the connections, other than exactly what he was originally talking about, SAE 2-pin bullet connectors https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Disconnect-Harness-Connector-Bullet/dp/B00MYDR15I
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:15:38 AM »
I don't think RJ connectors are a good choice.  They are not very strong, don't carry much current, have no weather protection (and with contacts that close, wow).  I am not sure what I would recommend for the connections, other than exactly what he was originally talking about, SAE 2-pin bullet connectors https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Disconnect-Harness-Connector-Bullet/dp/B00MYDR15I

for light current devices then I would say they were ideal

3.5Amps  and an operating range dependent on the cable you use with them *you dont have to use Cat5/Cat6 if you're improvising.

Yes there is the question of waterproofing but it depends on that you want to use them for/what you're trying to achieve. As a small form factor for a custom fit then maybe acceptable
--

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 10:46:40 AM »
Here are more ideas:  http://www.cycleterminal.com/motorcycle-connectors.html  Tons of choices

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 11:01:04 AM »
aye there are plenty of connectors avaialble but what I think the OP is looking for is a slightly left of centre solution.

Maybe something like this (but smaller and using  just the blocks) that can be monted neatly somewehrere in the cokpitarea

Given that POE injects at between 44 & 52v DC then in theory it should work for lower wattage/current draw appliances

--

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »
The first time it gets wet from rain or washing the bike and the water gets into the connection, it might not be good.  Same thing with high humidity plus a few mites.  The conductors are not even 1mm apart and most RJ connectors are only rated for 24 gauge wire.  Really, I don't think that would be the best selection in a fairly hostile environment.  I suppose if it were kept way hidden and far away from any opening it MIGHT sorta work, but that isn't very convenient either.

Keep in mind that I deal with RJ connectors every day (in dry, temp/humidity controlled areas), I have installed thousands of RJ cables/devices and made hundreds of RJ terminations.  Even a USB plug would be better in most every respect (except they are not locking).

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 01:04:36 AM »
OK so found this rather neat (although admittedly not cheap ) little package, the Dispatch 1

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/dispatch-1/

http://www.advdesigns.com/di1wimopodia.html

Ok so more designed to sit under cover but ...............
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 10:07:04 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.