Author Topic: Supercharged Sport Tourer?  (Read 11186 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Supercharged Sport Tourer?
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »
I still haven't seen a price for this thing.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »
More info on the Mother Kawasaki UK site

https://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/products/Sport_Tourer/2018/Ninja_H2_SX/overview?Uid=08D7WwxbXwpRWlpeDgxeXFELWgpRCgxQDV4KXV1fUVxdCgw   

Thanks

OMG, I hate the site layout.  Smooth scrolling, forced media, lack of detailed info without scrolling through tons of guided "stuff".  Yuck.  Typical for "modern" sites, though.

Anyway, they answered what "SE" means- the addition of cornering lights, launch control, color better dashboard computer, and clutchless shifting at some unknown additional price.  It is quite an interesting bike in many ways, even though I still don't consider it a sports tourer :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Akumu

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 05:19:08 PM »
chain drive instantly removes any eligibility for the word "tour" in it

It doesn't even have an adjustable windscreen AND it is short to add even more insult.  And short wheelbase.   AND no analog speedometer.  AND small fairings.  AND not keyless (kipass).  I don't even think they moved the pegs.

It is a sport bike with luggage, NOT a sports tourer by any definition I would recognize.

Funny there's a guy on YouTube who says any bike that has a shaft drive cannot have sport in the name. That is to say a Concours 14 cannot be a sport tourer, an FJR cannot be a sport tourer because it has shaft drive. He says they're 'tourers'

Its funny to see each person's opinion.

To be clear, it is extended an inch over the H2 so it is a bit longer, it does have an analogue tachometer on the base model and the SE, the fairings or wider than H2 for better wind protection, windsield is longer and aftermarkets will make longer still. Cruise, heated grips, built for better range. This is a sport bike with sport touring cues. MANY would call that a sport tourer. Hell, man, some call a ZX6R with Corbin soft bags a sport tourer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
Funny there's a guy on YouTube who says any bike that has a shaft drive cannot have sport in the name. That is to say a Concours 14 cannot be a sport tourer, an FJR cannot be a sport tourer because it has shaft drive. He says they're 'tourers'

Its funny to see each person's opinion.

Indeed.  They are just completely ignoring the "sport touring" class completely and saying there is sport or touring.

To be clear, it is extended an inch over the H2 so it is a bit longer

And yet still a whopping almost 2 inches shorter than the Concours and almost 3 inches shorter than the FJR.

it does have an analogue tachometer on the base model and the SE, the fairings or wider than H2 for better wind protection, windsield is longer and aftermarkets will make longer still.

All compared to the H2/H2R, which is great for general riding, but still far less fairing than the Concours and the windshield is non-adjustable (which I think is a HUGE negative) and positively tiny compared to even the stock Concours.  The extreme angle of the SX stock shield will likely make larger aftermarkets probably look strange.

built for better range.

Again, better range than the H2/H2R for sure, but a small 5 gal tank with an expected range of only 190 miles (not confirmed) is not impressive for anything that has the word "tour" in it.... remember, people complain about the Concours' range of "only" 250 miles.  :)   The Ninja 1000 has a range of around 195 miles.

It will certainly be fast with 45hp more than the Concours and significantly less weight (for some reason the weight is still a secret too, but some sources peg it at 100 pounds less, which would be around 15% less).  I really like the [optional] cornering lights.

Offline Akumu

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 07:55:15 PM »
My post was just to reinforce that it's not just an H2 with bags, is all. They actually did some stuff. Whether that stuff deserves a 'sport touring' sticker or not is up to each individual.  :) In my mind it does. I see that bike and deem that they did 'enough' to earn that moniker, but that's just me.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 08:04:17 PM »
My post was just to reinforce that it's not just an H2 with bags, is all. They actually did some stuff.

And I absolutely agree with you.  It really is different enough to be a different bike.  Probably marketing, but it seems like it would have been a better idea to give it a different "name" than just slapping SX on it (and then slapping SE on the end when you add a few more features, yet).  But, I will never understand marketing.