Author Topic: Orange side bag latch  (Read 3999 times)

Offline wb57

Orange side bag latch
« on: October 21, 2017, 12:46:25 PM »
I joined the tipover club the other day and snapped the side bag latch on one side.  Tried epoxying it back together and had no luck.  Getting ready to try and different bonding agent. 
If this doesn't work, is there a source for the orange latch piece by itself or am I stuck with replacing the whole assembly for close to $300.00?

2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09
Turning paychecks into spent fossil fuels.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Orange side bag latch
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »
Might be easier to get a dinged up side case with the latch itself.  Are you talking about the latch on the case or the piece it latches to on the bike?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:47:42 PM »
I believe there is probably no glue that can fix the orange part; there is just too much load/stress going through it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wb57

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:58:54 PM »
Might be easier to get a dinged up side case with the latch itself.  Are you talking about the latch on the case or the piece it latches to on the bike?

The orange piece on the case itself.
I've looked for the case.  Best I've found is about $400 on ebay so far.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline wb57

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »
I believe there is probably no glue that can fix the orange part; there is just too much load/stress going through it.

Starting to believe that's the case.  And finding it incredible that the only way to buy that stupid 35¢ part is to buy a $250-300 assembly.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »
Starting to believe that's the case.  And finding it incredible that the only way to buy that stupid 35¢ part is to buy a $250-300 assembly.

Welcome to modern automobiles and motorcycles :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wb57

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 07:10:55 AM »
I may have gotten lucky.  Found someone on ebay selling the updated latch kit - both sides - for $200 including shipping OBO.  Offered $100 and it was accepted.  Getting both sides.

Anyone looking for a right side latch???
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 11:18:25 AM »
Good job!  :thumbs:

Offline wb57

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 05:53:39 AM »
In a case of "too good to be true", the asshole sent me a "new" kit which included all the parts from a recall that had been done in a recall kit box - including (not making this up) the rivets that had been drilled out.  Red latches, the whole bit.  100% pure junk.  Fighting to get a refund now.

Side note: you can't leave negative feedback on a "power seller" on eBay for 10 days.  Exactly who are they protecting?  eBay is turning into craigslist with better graphics.  A true cesspool.

Square one again.

People suck.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
In a case of "too good to be true", the asshole sent me a "new" kit which included all the parts from a recall that had been done in a recall kit box - including (not making this up) the rivets that had been drilled out.  Red latches, the whole bit.  100% pure junk.  Fighting to get a refund now.

Side note: you can't leave negative feedback on a "power seller" on eBay for 10 days.  Exactly who are they protecting?  eBay is turning into craigslist with better graphics.  A true cesspool.

Square one again.

People suck.

That sucks, man.  I’ve gotten hosed from eBay a time or two myself.  Most of the time, they do protect the buyers.  Hope you find the latch you need.  I’ll keep an eye out myself.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 10:25:39 AM »
I did some searching... I feel your pain.

Here’s a thought.  Since you have the eBay latches in your possession, can you dismantle the latch and fabricate a duplicate piece out of steel?  If you can’t do it, maybe you know someone who could. 

The devil in me says send him back your broken latch and claim it was busted, but that would be dishonest...   :o :o :-X :-X
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline wb57

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 12:56:20 AM »
That sucks, man.  I’ve gotten hosed from eBay a time or two myself.  Most of the time, they do protect the buyers.  Hope you find the latch you need.  I’ll keep an eye out myself.

I've found another set that is actually a new kit.  Got a better than advertised price.  I'll keep the faith that they are as advertised...
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline wb57

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 12:59:03 AM »
I did some searching... I feel your pain.

Here’s a thought.  Since you have the eBay latches in your possession, can you dismantle the latch and fabricate a duplicate piece out of steel?  If you can’t do it, maybe you know someone who could. 

The devil in me says send him back your broken latch and claim it was busted, but that would be dishonest...   :o :o :-X :-X

At this point, I've gotten a refund - less a $3.58 "paypal fee".  WTF?  I'll send another nastygram and move on.  They didn't request I return the old parts after I made clear that they were welcome to them if they paid the freight. 

Actually, I have a couple clients that could do exactly what you suggested.  I may look into that.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline wb57

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 08:05:34 PM »
I got a set of the clips made by @Zteve here and have to say that's the best $20 I've ever spent on just about anything.  Still waiting on the latch kit and using these, I have zero concern about losing a bag under any normal circumstances.  Brilliant idea and perfect execution.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 05:56:09 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 03:01:20 PM »
I am using them too, although I think there is very little chance of losing a bag on the gen2 (since the latch recall/tweak).  Since I never remove the bags, it was cheap insurance.  Of course, a zip tie is even cheaper insurance :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 07:14:49 AM »
We've had a few reports on cases coming loose on the new latches..

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 10:21:44 AM »
Thanks to this site I pinned mine right away. I have almost lost a bag on my c10. Quick way to ruin a trip.

quote author=VirginiaJim link=topic=22894.msg284536#msg284536 date=1509542089]
We've had a few reports on cases coming loose on the new latches..
[/quote]
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline wb57

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »
I am using them too, although I think there is very little chance of losing a bag on the gen2 (since the latch recall/tweak).  Since I never remove the bags, it was cheap insurance.  Of course, a zip tie is even cheaper insurance :)

My parts are arriving today.  I've been using the clips for the past few days.  On the left side, I have no latch at all.  The only thing holding the bag on is gravity and the clip and I'm not concerned a bit.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 01:09:12 PM »
Does it protect against ytivarg?